Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

If we sell him to Newcastle, we've lost all ambition

Ambition is a funny word in this context though.

We cannot hope to compete with Newcastle in the long term. They are operating on a Man City plain now and will be as strong inside the next 5 years probably.

Rolling over and accepting a 40mill bid is losing ambition though also if we sold him to West Ham or Everton for example.

Those clubs along with us (until we are sold again) are targeting top 8/6 whereas longer term Newcastle are targeting top 1.

Our ambition right now should be to be a financially sustainable top 6 club with a realistic expectation of top 8 and a couple of decent cup escapades. We can’t worry about Newcastle in the same way we can’t worry about Man City.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't, but even if that were true, what about when it's 200K a week vs all the clubs that aren't offering 150 and Europe but 100 and hope?

Newcastle doesn't have to outshine the big six as an attraction yet.  If they distance themselves from everyone else they'll become the biggest threat to the big six, play in Europa, and eventually break through.  Once they're a fixture in the top 8 no one will care that it's blood money - and every year one or two of the traditional powers will have off seasons and create opportunities.  The big six wasn't always the big six - some of them had to storm the gates to get in.  Maybe Newcastle will manage it and maybe they won't, but having basically unlimited funds means it would be dumb to bet against them.

I suppose no one should write them off as you say with unlimited funds they will always have a chance they have to make sure they invest properly and not just spend for the sake of spending. Hopefully in 2 seasons time they are stuck with 10 players on 200 k a week that they can’t shift. 

47 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I honestly think the board are trying to ease ridgers out.  When we sell madders or fofana the shit will hit the fan when they refuse to let him spend the money. 

The most obvious reason is usually the correct one. We have an inflated squad, with FFP issues for wages and King Power took a whacking during the height of Covid so have had to protect the goose that lays the golden egg rather than the hobby by deploying most of their cash to back that up. They also spent a lot on the training ground. Regardless we've never been in a position where nobody is for sale at any price. If Fofana goes it will be for a record transfer fee or close enough and if Maddison goes then again it will be for a huge transfer fee. I hope they will put in some oversight to their replacements so that it isn't only Rodgers who signs off on new signings as we need a DOF or someone in the club like a Steve Walsh type to double check we aren't signing anymore turkey's.

29 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we would be foolish if we thought along those lines!!!

I am just organising a sweep.  If he goes then what will be the figure?. (I am keen to keep him but accept that thrse things happen whatever fans think)

2 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

The most obvious reason is usually the correct one. We have an inflated squad, with FFP issues for wages and King Power took a whacking during the height of Covid so have had to protect the goose that lays the golden egg rather than the hobby by deploying most of their cash to back that up. They also spent a lot on the training ground. Regardless we've never been in a position where nobody is for sale at any price. If Fofana goes it will be for a record transfer fee or close enough and if Maddison goes then again it will be for a huge transfer fee. I hope they will put in some oversight to their replacements so that it isn't only Rodgers who signs off on new signings as we need a DOF or someone in the club like a Steve Walsh type to double check we aren't signing anymore turkey's.

That'll be why they let him shout his mouth off about the rebuild.

Nb: with the exception of a right winger i think we have a good squad and should sort out the few that are off form.  That would be management.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I thought we didn’t have money to be offering new contracts? And why would we anyway? He’s our player and he’s ages left on his current deal.

How do you get from Newcastle allegedly making a saucy bid to throwing more money at Maddison?

We don’t need to..

Short sighted 

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

But you seem to be specifically problematising our ambition? What would you have rather us do the last 3-4 years? 

not sign Fofana and Tielemans? Not give good contracts to keep our best players? Not try and improve the infrastructure of the club? 

....he is stating the reason why we find ourselves in this position!!!

It is not a case of we should not have embarked on the things that we have done, due to our stated ambition we embarked on building an infrastructure that will serve the club for years, we were going to need to do it in the long run anyway. We panicked and overpaid our manager, we saw a chance to bring in quality players who down the line we could make a profit on and at the same time help to build the team and take us forward. Our negotiated contracts are what they are, did we offer too much in order to get players to this club, the answer is yes.

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

That's 100% not true. There is no way Maddison will have given any indication he's interested in joining Newcastle. Utter nonsense! 

His agent may have given that impression to get an offer on the table  to wave at rudders … no way are Newcastle paying more than 150k btw 

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No they really don't but I'm yet to find a logical explanation that supports what we are being told needs to happen and then what we are doing.

Somethings at play here.

Rodgers put the wrong narrative out there. We should have said at the back end of last season that our squad is fine to move forward with and we have a few too many so will be trying to trim it.

hence there would not be the questions from the media re lack of activity. 

we’ve backed ourselves into this corner where the narrative has become that we’re skint.  Hence agents are going to receive enquiries for our better players.

Now this can work in our favour if/when we try and buy someone later in august. Hence I think we haven’t bothered to come out and quell it. 

the consequences are that we’ll have to put up with these stories for the next few weeks. 

24 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

That is an interesting take. "Ease him out" by selling our best players, and making him (us) fail, so we are forced to fire him and pay out his contract?

As conspiracy theories, this makes very little sense, which says a lot.

There is no "easing out" Rodgers. Either he is sacked or finds another, higher paying job by doing extremely well.

No... i just think they will not let him spend any money.   The decision to sell say madders or lil'wes  would be for compelling reasons (extreme $$$$).  I dont think they want us to fail.  I do think they would like rodgers to find a new club

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Nb: with the exception of a right winger i think we have a good squad and should sort out the few that are off form.  That would be management.

I really think he dug that hole himself. Maybe it was more a case of if they want to sack me then fine pay the 15-20m remaining on the contract and I'll happily go as someone will want him. If not then I've got a bunch of new players to try and crack on. It looks like it backfired spectacularly as neither happened. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

That is an interesting take. "Ease him out" by selling our best players, and making him (us) fail, so we are forced to fire him and pay out his contract?

As conspiracy theories, this makes very little sense, which says a lot.

There is no "easing out" Rodgers. Either he is sacked or finds another, higher paying job by doing extremely well.

I don't think they want to.pay him.off or sack him... they are hoping he will find a new club 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I agree that if we even just signed a top class RW and kept the rest of the squad together and injury free we could really have a go at Europe. It would be a do or die season but with fewer games we may have a bit more luck with injuries. If we did make Europe then it makes the rebuild easier as we are shopping in a better pool of players. I think we should take a punt with Pepe even as he knows the league, was 2nd in goals only to Mbappe the year he signed for Arsenal and wants to play. If we are struggling that bad even a year loan with an obligation might do it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Not for sale.  Why sell him so we can spend on more Soumare, Vesty, Praet and Perez that Rodgers does not use? It does not make sense if it is to reinvest in the squad because we should invest in Madders.

Sell Tielemans and also Hamza and Vesty if anyone wants them.

....isn't that part of the problem!!!

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I don't think they want to.pay him.off or sack him... they are hoping he will find a new club 

And under what circumstances does he do that? Either he gets poached by a team who can come close to matching the money he's on here, which is unlikely to happen if the board are engineering a situation in which the team visibly stagnates, or they sack him. He's obviously not resigning and the reasons we're not spending money are very well documented at this point. If our accountants were half as imaginative as you we'd probably be able to sign as many players as we like.

1 minute ago, Guest said:

And under what circumstances does he do that? Either he gets poached by a team who can come close to matching the money he's on here, which is unlikely to happen if the board are engineering a situation in which the team visibly stagnates, or they sack him. He's obviously not resigning and the reasons we're not spending money are very well documented at this point. If our accountants were half as imaginative as you we'd probably be able to sign as many players as we like.

I dont wsnt to sign more players... i would like a few to leave though.   I think there's been a big fallout... dont you?

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Feels like it was just a bit of a "punt" offer from Newcastle - I honestly don't think we will see them come back with another offer

I expect they will do. I think they’ll stop at 50 m

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Feels like it was just a bit of a "punt" offer from Newcastle - I honestly don't think we will see them come back with another offer

I honestly think its more a reflection on them than us. 

They're going to be force, there's no question, but right now I imagine they have a lot of the same infrastructure they did under Ashley and they just don't have a clue how to act like a big club and how to run one. 

It took Man City a few years of collecting random footballers before they made an actual plan, poached half of Barcelona's backroom staff and actually started committing to their vision. At the moment, this Newcastle regime is in its infancy and they don't seem to know how to kick start it. Making punts on random players to test the waters seems about their whole MO. They'll learn, no doubt. 

• Like 1

If we were 'desperate to sell', like the Media is trying to say, Tielemans would be straight out of the door on a free, given he's out of contract next summer and a big earner.

Why would we turn down solid offers for Soumare, a squad player? Praet too? Vestergaard has apparently had offers (I doubt those though). Iverson could raise £1 million+ from Preston, Vardy could go on a free, you get the point.

It's clearly 'Sell to Buy', not 'Sell to Survive'. It's not even a case of not having 'Transfer Funds', I'm sure we could spend a bit like every year, it's the simple fact that we can't increase our wages because we have about 27 first teamers on our books, with most of those being on £50k+ a week. The new deals for KDH and Justin, whilst obviously deserved and good for the Club, have added two other First team wages into the mix, without actually bringing players in.

We will sell players, on our own terms, as has been the case throughout this ownership. If players want to go, they can do so when the valuation is met, or when they run their contract down. We've already seen that with Mahrez/Drinkwater/Maguire/Chilwell/Tielemans etc. Maddison isn't joining Newcastle this summer, but it's a deal which would be more likely next year. Although they've really got to show some ambition first, their summer window has barely been an improvement on ours.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I dont wsnt to sign more players... i would like a few to leave though.   I think there's been a big fallout... dont you?

In the absence of anything to support that theory, no, I don't. I think we're at the limits of what we can spend until such a time where we move players on, and I think if the owners' distaste for Rodgers was such that they were willing to engineer his demise by essentially sabotaging our season, they would probably also be willing to just take the hit and sack him.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Have they intended to put a bid in for Tielemans and got confused?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I’d suggest we go back to Newcastle and make some low ball offers on one or two of their players but looking at how crap their squad is there’s a danger they’d accept 

34 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Ambition is a funny word in this context though.

We cannot hope to compete with Newcastle in the long term. They are operating on a Man City plain now and will be as strong inside the next 5 years probably.

Rolling over and accepting a 40mill bid is losing ambition though also if we sold him to West Ham or Everton for example.

Those clubs along with us (until we are sold again) are targeting top 8/6 whereas longer term Newcastle are targeting top 1.

Our ambition right now should be to be a financially sustainable top 6 club with a realistic expectation of top 8 and a couple of decent cup escapades. We can’t worry about Newcastle in the same way we can’t worry about Man City.

It’s going to take Newcastle considerably more than 5 years to get to Man City/Liverpool level.  

This is why I cannot see Maddison moving to Newcastle, even IF a bid is accepted. I think he’ll wait until some of the ‘big’ London clubs (most probably Spurs) start sniffing.