Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

42 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Ambition is a funny word in this context though.

We cannot hope to compete with Newcastle in the long term. They are operating on a Man City plain now and will be as strong inside the next 5 years probably.

Rolling over and accepting a 40mill bid is losing ambition though also if we sold him to West Ham or Everton for example.

Those clubs along with us (until we are sold again) are targeting top 8/6 whereas longer term Newcastle are targeting top 1.

Our ambition right now should be to be a financially sustainable top 6 club with a realistic expectation of top 8 and a couple of decent cup escapades. We can’t worry about Newcastle in the same way we can’t worry about Man City.

To be fair they operating on a level higher than Man City. Their owners are worth about 25X what the Man City owners are worth. Its only ffp that's stopping them from truly flexing their muscles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Trying to low-ball Burnley as well. They can piss off with their "structured deals" 

Aren't they the apparent richest club in the world? Either pay lump sums or piss off lol

Shows how much that guy knows. Maddison isn’t a wide option. Ha

• Like 1

If we sell him for £50m then we deserve the title of having ‘ no ambition’.  You are supposed to play hard ball for your best players and not roll over and let them tickle your belly after the first offer.

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

It’s going to take Newcastle considerably more than 5 years to get to Man City/Liverpool level.  

This is why I cannot see Maddison moving to Newcastle, even IF a bid is accepted. I think he’ll wait until some of the ‘big’ London clubs (most probably Spurs) start sniffing. 

I suggest that Newcastle and Maddison would probably be a perfect fit.

Newcastle are far from the finished article but they have ambition, a huge fan base and above all, pots of cash.

Maddison is still improving. He’s also not the finished article. He’s not an international regular and, although he’s earning fortunes, he’s not a ‘big earner’ compared to the really highly paid players.

If he goes to Newcastle, and continues to play like he has been, he will be hero-worshipped by 60k home fans every other week. And his stock would rise, not fall.

I’d see Newcastle as entirely the right club for Maddison at the present time. Unlike if he went to Man City or to Liverpool (and possibly spurs), he’d actually play every week.

It would be the right club at the right time imo. Oh, and he’d be earning even more money….

As I said before, why he might not want to go is because he has made his home here and has good mates at Leicester. 

1 minute ago, MPH said:

If we sell him for £50m then we deserve the title of having ‘ no ambition’.  You are supposed to play hard ball for your best players and not roll over and let them tickle your belly after the first offer.

We haven’t and we won’t 

way too much over reaction here 

Can't say this with 100% certainty but just because they have they richest owners doesn't mean they will give the club the most funds . 

Plenty of clubs have very rich owners but don't spend in comparison to their owners net worth  .

47 minutes ago, Guest said:

And under what circumstances does he do that? Either he gets poached by a team who can come close to matching the money he's on here, which is unlikely to happen if the board are engineering a situation in which the team visibly stagnates, or they sack him. He's obviously not resigning and the reasons we're not spending money are very well documented at this point. If our accountants were half as imaginative as you we'd probably be able to sign as many players as we like.

For the record I (unfortunately) don't see him resigning but there is a view that's seen somewhere in the middle of us sacking/him resigning, he won't be happy and will see a situation where he can spin the narrative he's 'not been backed' and that he's 'being held back'. He's not shy in throwing people under the bus, he's done it with the fans, he's done it with the players, it's getting to the point where I feel the club/ownership is next. 

I made the point a week or two back saying it feels we're writing this season off before it's even begun and this is exactly what i'm getting at, I feel the club don't trust or want to back Rodgers, for me we either sacked him at the end of last season or we backed him over the summer, one or the other, we've done/doing neither.

He's certainly not getting poached as you say, his stock is not high, Brendan's ego won't like that and he won't like the fact he's not being able to even try and improve the situation, he'll be as frustrated as the rest of us.

I feel one way or another the club, the owners and Rodgers will come to a head sooner rather than later. A mutual agreement might be one way out for the both the club and Rodgers - It'd probably still cost the club a certain amount but it gives an exit and closure for both parties who can move on.

The talk of paying the wages we pay which has got us in this mess and the reason we're not signing anyone is ironic when people talk about how much it would cost to relieve Rodgers of his duties - it's not his fault he was offered that wages he's on and he wasn't going to turn them down, however, he probably has to look at it and think perhaps his wages are a reason why he can't spend anything - aswell as not being trusted after who he signed/overruled everyone signing who he signed last summer.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This is such a terrible take. He's 25, he's now one of the best players in the Premier League without question. He moves to Newcastle and he'll not move to a truly big club, which although I'm not as convinced now as much as I used to be that that's all he desires but I don't think a move to Newcastle would interest him on the back of last season.

It took Man City quite a few years to get above mid-table and challenging… does maddison want to waste 5 years there I doubt it 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

This is such a terrible take. He's 25, he's now one of the best players in the Premier League without question. He moves to Newcastle and he'll not move to a truly big club, which although I'm not as convinced now as much as I used to be that that's all he desires but I don't think a move to Newcastle would interest him on the back of last season.

Totally agree, I don't think Newcastle will interest him. They may have the money now, but they'll likely be in transition for a season or two more. If it was one of the current "big 6" he'd definitely want that move. 

• Like 1

Just now, StonyFox said:

Totally agree, I don't think Newcastle will interest him. They may have the money now, but they'll likely be in transition for a season or two more. If it was one of the current "big 6" he'd definitely want that move. 

Plus 35 mil is an absolute joke… double it and we may talk 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I suggest that Newcastle and Maddison would probably be a perfect fit.

Newcastle are far from the finished article but they have ambition, a huge fan base and above all, pots of cash.

Maddison is still improving. He’s also not the finished article. He’s not an international regular and, although he’s earning fortunes, he’s not a ‘big earner’ compared to the really highly paid players.

If he goes to Newcastle, and continues to play like he has been, he will be hero-worshipped by 60k home fans every other week. And his stock would rise, not fall.

I’d see Newcastle as entirely the right club for Maddison at the present time. Unlike if he went to Man City or to Liverpool (and possibly spurs), he’d actually play every week.

It would be the right club at the right time imo. Oh, and he’d be earning even more money….

As I said before, why he might not want to go is because he has made his home here and has good mates at Leicester. 

The only thing Newcastle offer currently is money. In terms of career it’s would be an unwise move right now. 

They are very likely to not win a thing during the length of his contract and on top of that he’s going to wreck his chance of a big move. It offers him no better path into the England team, no Europe.

• Like 4

I mean this 100% makes sense from a Newcastle perspective. They’re not big enough yet for the elite players but Maddison will be a significant step in the right direction.

For Maddison I imagine it’ll be all about the money. You’d imagine they’ll put together a very attractive package and sell the project.

For LCFC, it’s baffling! Like, we must be seriously short on cash (which we know we are) to be even considering it. He’s one of the few players (along with Barnes, Justin, Fofana, a fit Ndidi, KDH) that are keeping me optimistic for the season. Take a couple of them out and we’re starting to look pretty average.