Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

Just now, TheFish said:

There must be a reason why Newcastle bid £35m. We haven't picked that figure out of the clear blue sky.

Honestly? Part of it is undoubtedly NUFC hammering home the message that just because our majority owners are rich, doesn't mean we're going to splash the cash like Man City and Chelsea did, even if the players are great.

If rumours are true and Maddison is keen on the move, then there's no way you're getting £80m for him. A larger upfront fee and the rest as bonuses might work, but we're not going to put up £60m in one lump sum, surely?

Who said Maddison is keen? The same people who you said think we'll sell him for 40m plus Dubravka?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

It would have to be £80m+ and I’d still be reluctant as I don’t think he can be replaced, puts us in a similar position to when Mahrez was sold 

Is Madders at East Midlands airport departure lounge with his 5k backpack?

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Who said Maddison is keen? The same people who you said think we'll sell him for 40m plus Dubravka?

Dunno, just what's being reported in the Telegraph. 

1 thing on Dubravka, he's a top half 'keeper, and if Schmeichel is leaving, doesn't it make sense to have another top half 'keeper immediately replacing him?

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Shall we offer them £10m for Saint-Maximin and see if that's acceptable?

Far too much. 5m max. In instalments, over 5 years.

12 minutes ago, TheFish said:

There must be a reason why Newcastle bid £35m. We haven't picked that figure out of the clear blue sky.

Honestly? Part of it is undoubtedly NUFC hammering home the message that just because our majority owners are rich, doesn't mean we're going to splash the cash like Man City and Chelsea did, even if the players are great.

If rumours are true and Maddison is keen on the move, then there's no way you're getting £80m for him. A larger upfront fee and the rest as bonuses might work, but we're not going to put up £60m in one lump sum, surely?

Two words Harry Maguire…

He was keen on the Man Utd move, but until they paid us the £80 million up front he was going no where! It will be the same with Maddison, Fofana and anyone else we don’t want to sell… match our valuation or piss off.

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, TheFish said:

60-80m minimum for him. He’s our top goal scorer and highest assists. He’s also English so that’s pushes up the price. So bidding £35m on someone who’s still got 2yrs left on his contract and one of our top players is to unsettle him to force a move. Also, one week to the beginning of the new season adds to the price as we’ll need to spend more to replace him and I would pass that cost onto his price tag. 

would you accept £35m if you were in the same position? Doubt it. 

Guest Kopfkino
27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Shall we offer them £10m for Saint-Maximin and see if that's acceptable?

I wouldn’t take the risk of them accepting it

6 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

60-80m minimum for him. He’s our top goal scorer and highest assists. He’s also English so that’s pushes up the price. So bidding £35m on someone who’s still got 2yrs left on his contract and one of our top players is to unsettle him to force a move. Also, one week to the beginning of the new season adds to the price as we’ll need to spend more to replace him and I would pass that cost onto his price tag. 

would you accept £35m if you were in the same position? Doubt it. 

I don't know. If the rumours are true and you've a cashflow/squad-size issue then you're not really in a strong bargaining position. Especially when the rumours are that the player wants to go. 

If we needed money, one of our best players wanted out and someone was going to give us £45m+ a player. I'd be deadset against it, but then, I'm not running the club and what the right move for the fans, isn't necessarily aligned with what the owner thinks is the best move for their club.

Similar to when Perez left.

• Haha 1

Over the last five days, I have read countless articles which have a big headline and starting paragraph….then two thirds through ‘They will not go close to the £60m asking price that has been mooted over the weekend and sources say a deal for the 25-year-old is likely to prove difficult to complete’ 

Sadly clickbait won’t work so well if the headline was ‘Newcastle bid for Maddison rejected, unlikely to complete’

3 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I don't know. If the rumours are true and you've a cashflow/squad-size issue then you're not really in a strong bargaining position. Especially when the rumours are that the player wants to go. 

If we needed money, one of our best players wanted out and someone was going to give us £45m+ a player. I'd be deadset against it, but then, I'm not running the club and what the right move for the fans, isn't necessarily aligned with what the owner thinks is the best move for their club.

The rumours are true but it would be akin to committing suicide. Like selling Andy Cole in 1995 

We have interest in squad players to deal with the squad size at the end of the window. 

No one wants to deal with Newcastle and make a comparable rival stronger. Newcastle understandably don’t want to pay over the odds. Therefore no deal 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

It'd be interesting to hear what Maddison's honest reaction to this news was. With Fofana to Chelsea, I wouldn't blame Wes for maybe being a bit excited or proud that he's been linked to them, but I could just imagine Maddison being told this by someone at the club or reading it and him laughing, thinking "why the fvck would I want to go there?". 

Particularly given his American model partner has publicly stated loneliness living in West Bridgford, away from her mates in London. 

Social media is awash with Newcastle fans who have become completely hooked on this £60m figure the media keeps spouting. Their reasoning is that if £60m our starting position, they can negotiate us down. I've tried to tell a few of them that the £60m figure is almost certainly just pure journalist guesswork and hasn't come from anybody at Leicester, but they don't want to hear it.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Cashflow isn't the problem, we don't have enough spots in our squad to make new signings, and our wage bill is fairly high -  we don't want surplus players sitting around picking up a wage for doing nothing. We're trying to remedy that by getting rid of players we don't want, not by selling key first teamers. Seems like there may well be movement soon, with Soumare, Vestergaard, Amartey, Praet etc all linked with moves away.

It's certainly not a case, as outsiders seem to think, that we're desperate for cash and we absolutely need to cash in on these high value assets. 

I've seen you baulk at an upfront fee of around £60m - is that not the going rate for this calibre of player? Grealish went for £100m, Richarlison's gone for £60m. He's English, still fairly young and he's absolutely red hot at the minute - we would be mugs if we let him go for anything less than £60m cash tbh.

• Like 2

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

I honestly don't think we'd even accept £60m. 

Agreed. Could maybe see a scenario where we accept - if Maddison is massively pushing for the move to go through, but I don't think he will tbh. I like Newcastle, but they don't have the same pull (yet) as London & Manchester clubs/Liverpool. If someone like City came in for him with a serious offer, I'd be worried as he would likely want to make that move and would push for it.

16 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Cashflow isn't the problem, we don't have enough spots in our squad to make new signings, and our wage bill is fairly high -  we don't want surplus players sitting around picking up a wage for doing nothing. We're trying to remedy that by getting rid of players we don't want, not by selling key first teamers. Seems like there may well be movement soon, with Soumare, Vestergaard, Amartey, Praet etc all linked with moves away.

It's certainly not a case, as outsiders seem to think, that we're desperate for cash and we absolutely need to cash in on these high value assets. 

I've seen you baulk at an upfront fee of around £60m - is that not the going rate for this calibre of player? Grealish went for £100m, Richarlison's gone for £60m. He's English, still fairly young and he's absolutely red hot at the minute - we would be mugs if we let him go for anything less than £60m cash tbh.

What I'd counter there is, we've signed players before having to get rid of players in the past. It's very very unlikely we won't move on the 5+ players who won't make the 25 man PL squad, they'll leave in the final days of the window when we've agreed to more favourable conditions to the buying team.

Considering we have supposedly told Praet, Soumare, Vestergaard etc they can leave, we've rejected bids for all of them. I don't see clubs overpaying for such players so we'll likely have to agree to similar terms or even less the nearer we get to deadline day and every day nearer to then we also run the risk of being mucked about for players we want ro sign if their clubs value them rather than being a fringe player.

It's all a bit confusing what we are playing at this summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Transfer fees are rarely one “lump sum”; they are paid in instalments, normally over the length of the contract signed. This is how the buying club writes off the value of the player.

For example, Liverpool sold Suarez and the fee was paid to Liverpool over 5 years. The Man Utd fee for Maguire was paid over years also, 6 years I believe.

Lump sums are very rare and only really exist in football management games. Oddly enough, your friend Mike Ashley was one of the few owners who insisted on lump sums.

When you see a “up front” tag, it means the large part of the transfer fee not subject to clauses and additional payments. This up front fee is staggered in instalments.

Why did Newcastle bid a miserly £35 million? It’s a statement of intent designed to unsettle Maddison, a statement that your owners won’t just splash cash and an attempt to force LCFC to negotiate.

Its fairly clear now that Maddison wants the move but he won’t demand a transfer. The onus is on Newcastle to lodge an acceptable offer.

Reports say Leicester want £60 million. If that happens, that a typical construct will be 10% now. Say £50 million over 5 years and £4 million in clauses. 

Nevertheless, this is an opportunity for Maddison to be rewarded with a bumper new contract.

Whatever happens next, the agent wins 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1