Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

7 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I just wish Rodgers would STFU too. You dont hear the likes of Klopp and Guardiola or indeed most Prem managers waffling on about refreshing the squad and airing the clubs finances in press conferences- im surprised that the club let him get away with his self aggrandising BS

It is highly likely that Rodgers and the owners agreed last season that the squad would need a major refresh this summer, and his comments just reflected that. However, it was based on the assumption that we would be able to shift the players we wanted to get rid of, which has proven to be much harder than anticipated. I doubt whether Rodgers spoke out of turn when he made those comments.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

45m second offer....is Newcastle a joke......there desperate for him cos he's such a likable player who gives great interviews that will counter their evil owners that everyone links them with.

It’s an interesting point about the PR side of it.

I love Madders, but I’ve struggled to work out why Newcastle wouldn’t go for Tielemans and spend a lot less money. Maybe they do want want Maddison to be the face of their bloody regime on the pitch. Especially as they’ve been quieter than many of their fans thought they would be.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Rodgers has said categorically that we don't want to sell either Fofana or Maddison - in Fofana's case he's literally come out and said 'he's not for sale', with Maddison he's said 'these aren't the kinds of players we want to sell'.

Clubs can come at us with what they believe are appropriate valuations of our players, or feel like they can take advantage of some kind of perceived weakness, but at the end of the day we have a very impressive track record of securing sales at our valuation, not those of the buying clubs. The only time we've ever really done cut price deals is where players have been absolutely clear they want to leave - Chilwell for example, although that was still £45m. I don't see Fofana or Maddison pushing particularly hard for either of these transfers. Fofana has spoken positively about his relationship with Rodgers, and both he & Maddison are said to be very happy at the club.

In Maddison's case, I do think if it was a London-based CL club, he would probably push for the move - his gf has publicly moaned about feeling isolated from her London friends - but with no disrespect to Newcastle, you can't offer European football, Eddie Howe is doing a good job and there is clearly ambition, but at this moment in time it's a sideways move. It may well happen, but I think if it does, it will be for a significant fee and the move will have to represent a significant wage increase for Maddison. 

Didnt Rodgers make the same 'not for sale' quote about Chilwell? 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, TheFish said:

She has Huntingdon's disease.

It’s Huntington’s disease. Huntingdon is a small town in Cambridgeshire. 
Has she actually got HD?

40 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Rodgers has said categorically that we don't want to sell either Fofana or Maddison - in Fofana's case he's literally come out and said 'he's not for sale', with Maddison he's said 'these aren't the kinds of players we want to sell'.

Clubs can come at us with what they believe are appropriate valuations of our players, or feel like they can take advantage of some kind of perceived weakness, but at the end of the day we have a very impressive track record of securing sales at our valuation, not those of the buying clubs. The only time we've ever really done cut price deals is where players have been absolutely clear they want to leave - Chilwell for example, although that was still £45m. I don't see Fofana or Maddison pushing particularly hard for either of these transfers. Fofana has spoken positively about his relationship with Rodgers, and both he & Maddison are said to be very happy at the club.

In Maddison's case, I do think if it was a London-based CL club, he would probably push for the move - his gf has publicly moaned about feeling isolated from her London friends - but with no disrespect to Newcastle, you can't offer European football, Eddie Howe is doing a good job and there is clearly ambition, but at this moment in time it's a sideways move. It may well happen, but I think if it does, it will be for a significant fee and the move will have to represent a significant wage increase for Maddison. 

Don't disagree with any of that. 

There seems to be a great deal of confidence that we can get the deal done, but that was the case with Ekitike and he went to PSG (understandably). I think a lot of agents are using our perceived wealth to shake a better contract out of the owning club, or force the hand of tentative suitors.

Look at Diego Carlos, both club and Agent were driving the price up way beyond the final fee and wages, because everybody thought NUFC were going to splash the cash. In reality though we're not going to have a Robinho transfer because it's pointless. Signing Mbappe wouldn't get us Champions League football, so why disrupt the club when a more considered improvement will be more rewarding in the medium and long term?

I like Maddison and he'd definitely solve one of the weaker areas of our squad, but to get where we need to be this season, we don't 'need' him. He's not the missing piece of the jigsaw. Not like Bruno was, or Botman should be.

£45m? Staggered? They having a laugh? And they're interested in Barnes?

These guys do not deserve a leg up to the top 6 from us. We shouldn't be selling to them under any circumstances considering they're our rivals and are trying to do what Man City did to Villa and Arsenal on their way up.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

It's not, though. There aren't any successful business people in the world that are going to allow for 3 or 4 earners of £50k+ a week just train. You can allow for one, but 3 or 4 is ridiculous. Over a season we'd end up burning about £15m in wages. 

Not the point, we can if we want to. If we need a RW and it means Hamza doing nothing for a year, we’d get a right winger. Because it’s clearly a spot we need and one that could make a big difference.

Just now, Babylon said:

Not the point, we can if we want to. If we need a RW and it means Hamza doing nothing for a year, we’d get a right winger. Because it’s clearly a spot we need and one that could make a big difference.

We'd also probably sanction a deal close to deadline day where we cover the majority of his wages but anything another team covers is a mere bonus. There's not a chance we have more than 1 maybe 2 1st team players that won't be registered, they'll have been flogged or loaned.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Don't disagree with any of that. 

There seems to be a great deal of confidence that we can get the deal done, but that was the case with Ekitike and he went to PSG (understandably). I think a lot of agents are using our perceived wealth to shake a better contract out of the owning club, or force the hand of tentative suitors.

Look at Diego Carlos, both club and Agent were driving the price up way beyond the final fee and wages, because everybody thought NUFC were going to splash the cash. In reality though we're not going to have a Robinho transfer because it's pointless. Signing Mbappe wouldn't get us Champions League football, so why disrupt the club when a more considered improvement will be more rewarding in the medium and long term?

I like Maddison and he'd definitely solve one of the weaker areas of our squad, but to get where we need to be this season, we don't 'need' him. He's not the missing piece of the jigsaw. Not like Bruno was, or Botman should be.

Would be absolutely & completely unsurprised if he comes out of this with a new bumper deal, its just got agent-stink all over it.

56 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I just wish Rodgers would STFU too. You dont hear the likes of Klopp and Guardiola or indeed most Prem managers waffling on about refreshing the squad and airing the clubs finances in press conferences- im surprised that the club let him get away with his self aggrandising BS

Even Top said there would be transfer activity this summer, so you can't just lay this on Rodgers. Klopp and Guardiola don't have waffle on -- no other clubs have their resources.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Even Top said there would be transfer activity this summer, so you can't just lay this on Rodgers. Klopp and Guardiola don't have waffle on -- no other clubs have their resources.

Exactly. People keep blaming this on Rodgers but it was clearly believed within the club that there would be a lot of activity this window,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I think you are wrong there mate. Newcastle will be a top 4 side within a couple of seasons. They are on the way up with the owners they have got and their support is amazing. A very very big club and any player with ambition would want to go there.

No dispute on that, they will be, but…..they are not rushing to do so, they are not going to be top 6 next year I think, or perhaps the year after. If you want to push yourself into international consideration, then I do not see Newcastle as a shoe-in for a few years yet. You may be right, but it depends on James’s priorities.

Guest nathan.

By the the time Newcastle are constantly challenging for trophies he will be pushing 30. It would be a step backwards.

8 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I think you are wrong there mate. Newcastle will be a top 4 side within a couple of seasons. They are on the way up with the owners they have got and their support is amazing. A very very big club and any player with ambition would want to go there.

If only it was that easy pal. 

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We'd also probably sanction a deal close to deadline day where we cover the majority of his wages but anything another team covers is a mere bonus. There's not a chance we have more than 1 maybe 2 1st team players that won't be registered, they'll have been flogged or loaned.

Indeed, which is why the talk of space annoys me. Might be a technicality, but space ain’t an issue. 

Take Colwill or any other young player… wouldn’t even take up a “space” as you don’t need to put him in the 25. So it’s cash that is the problem.