Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Newcastle have had years of under investment and a squad that was regularly involved in relegation battles, including being relegated the season we won the league.

But more than that, they are much further off the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City than Man City were from clubs like Chelsea in terms of infrastructure, scouting and squad depth. 

Man City were playing championship football 6 years before investment and league one football just 8 years before.

The way Newcastle are Maddison could play for them for a season then find himself on the bench the following season. They're going to burn through players like Wood to get where they want. He may not have a long term future on the pitch there but I guess he believes in his ability and won't see that

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If he carries on his form this season then a big club will come in for him next season for sure, why blow that chance by signing for shitty Newcastle.

This is the thing. He could either have another barnstorming season with us, we qualify for Europe again and he gets a new contract or we just fall short and an established Big Six side comes in for him.

Going to Newcastle is a gamble; they've signed Targett, Pope and Botman rather than Van Dijk, Oblak and Davies. They don't yet have the squad around Maddison to guarantee a higher finish than us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Man City were playing championship football 6 years before investment and league one football just 8 years before.

Again though, I'm referring to the gap between 2022 Man City and the rest of the Premier League. 

However far we are behind them, and we are miles off, Newcastle are currently further behind. Same goes for Liverpool and Spurs. That imbalance won't be fixed for years. They need four or five solid years of progress before they will be in a position to compete at the top table on a regular basis. And it's not as if any of those teams will stand still and let Newcastle overtake them.

Wish people would stop banging on as if Newcastle are gonna do this and that.

It'll take years before they even touch Man City and Liverpool.

It'll all go wrong I think, Saudi's will bin them off when they haven't won anything in the next decade.

Just now, Fox92 said:

It'll all go wrong I think, Saudi's will bin them off when they haven't won anything in the next decade.

Look how long it took Man City to win a league title….

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Success in this game pretty much hinges on money and nothing else now, and they now have more of it than anybody. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bert said:

Four years with unprecedented levels of spending, and still no Champions League despite billions being pumped in. And it's not as if they're just going to stand still and let Newcastle take over either. The same could be said for Liverpool and Spurs. 

Realistically, Newcastle will take at least as long to catch Man City as it took Man City to catch Chelsea.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Feel less confident he won’t go now tbf. Given Brendan was talking about a refresh and didn’t get told he had no money for it until the end of the season, not fully confident he’s fully in the loop on this

I  actually think Rodgers would be more pissed off if we sold Maddison or Fofana than not being able to have his rebuild.  He would rightly perceive the sale of either of them as showing  a complete lack of ambition, and of making his job even harder, because it would be highly unlikely we could replace the quality we would  be losing with someone of equal or better quality within the budget he would have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Success in this game pretty much hinges on money and nothing else now, and they now have more of it than anybody. 

FFP means they can't do it overnight though.

They'll get there, but it'll take them a good few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

We'll see. I'll be amazed if they replicate what Man City have done domestically.

Newcastle can have as much money as Man City but the gap is big now. Best players in the World aren't gonna choose Newcastle over Man City.

Edited by Fox92

24 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Let’s be honest £50 million is derisory for Maddison.

we will fvck ourselves up the arse selling for any less than £80 million

I might have put it slightly less expressively, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

We'll see. I'll be amazed if they replicate what Man City have done domestically.

Newcastle can have as much money as Man City but the gap is big now. Best players in the World aren't gonna choose Newcastle over Man City.

Yep. And it's not as if Man City are paupers themselves. Plus FFP won't be so difficult for a team who've played Champions League football every season, and enjoyed the money for it, for a decade. 

Man City are so far ahead of basically everyone bar Liverpool that you're talking years for even the richest club to catch up.

• Like 1

Can see madders signing a contract extension and I'll be glad to see it. He's got it all and we need to hold on to him. I think with the departure of kasper and probably Tielemans it will free up money to give madders an improved deal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No that’s my point. It’s gonna take them at least that long to break the top 6, then they’ll be able to start attracting the high calibre players. Until then, it’s gonna be slow progression. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

The fact is we don’t let players go easily, we kept Mahrez here longer than most thought we could. Maddison and fofana aren’t getting sold this year 

But we’d sold Kante one year and Drinkwater the next. Financially we didn’t need to. 

15 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Again though, I'm referring to the gap between 2022 Man City and the rest of the Premier League. 

However far we are behind them, and we are miles off, Newcastle are currently further behind. Same goes for Liverpool and Spurs. That imbalance won't be fixed for years. They need four or five solid years of progress before they will be in a position to compete at the top table on a regular basis. And it's not as if any of those teams will stand still and let Newcastle overtake them.

Newcastle are probably about 4 transfer windows away from us. 

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What lol

We've rejected their first 2 bids. They can try as they might but we've literally rejected their bids so far. 

How is that not closing it down? 

You realise clubs can't prevent other clubs from bidding for their players? 

Player not interested tends to close it down?

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

20 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Newcastle have had years of under investment and a squad that was regularly involved in relegation battles, including being relegated the season we won the league.

But more than that, they are much further off the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City than Man City were from clubs like Chelsea in terms of infrastructure, scouting and squad depth. 

Well you wasn’t initially, you have deviated to the latter point.

As I said the Man City team prior to investment was not in a stronger position than Newcastle are now if you look at their history prior to takeover.

it could also be argued that with Chelsea ridiculous investment at the time, Man United and Arsenal still a power house under Wenger, Liverpool regularly top 4

it was an incredibly hard time to break the status quo.

With Newcastle allegedly 10 times richer than Man City and PSG combined, you would expect them to eventually become the Global powerhouses in world Football just as there predecessors have done (at least in-terms of spending).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Newcastle are probably about 4 transfer windows away from us. 

So they're two years from 8th?

How many years are they from 4th?

• Haha 1