Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

Yes Newcastle have a lot of money behind them, but if Kieran Trippier is the best 'Super Star' they can buy, they are still miles away from challenging for anything of significance. 

Some people are going on like they have just signed Mbappe & Salah.

• Like 1

Just now, adejo92 said:

Yes Newcastle have a lot of money behind them, but if Kieran Trippier is the best 'Super Star' they can buy, they are still miles away from challenging for anything of significance. 

Some people are going on like they have just signed Mbappe & Salah.

Yeah I wouldn’t say any of the business they have done yet puts them near us in terms of quality 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Well you wasn’t initially, you have deviated to the latter point.

As I said the Man City team prior to investment was not in a stronger position than Newcastle are now if you look at their history prior to takeover.

it could also be argued that with Chelsea ridiculous investment at the time, Man United and Arsenal still a power house under Wenger, Liverpool regularly top 4

it was an incredibly hard time to break the status quo.

With Newcastle allegedly 10 times richer than Man City and PSG combined, you would expect them to eventually become the Global powerhouses in world Football just as there predecessors have done (at least in-terms of spending).

It still is an incredibly tough time to break into the top four. Man City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone to the point that it's virtually a duopoly in England.

'Eventually' is probably a minimum of five years, so a 26-year-old probably won't be playing for the next big thing until he's nearing the end of his peak. 

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

It still is an incredibly tough time to break into the top four. Man City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone to the point that it's virtually a duopoly in England.

'Eventually' is probably a minimum of five years, so a 26-year-old probably won't be playing for the next big thing until he's nearing the end of his peak. 

Not doing to bad are they prior to any significant spending in terms of what they could spend.

Form since January 

F9EF28CC-534B-4682-983A-3F3E7B22F227.thumb.jpeg.44a3ab0ee79ac8ad4ab20d3ea852c4e2.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Not doing to bad are they prior to any significant spending in terms of what they could spend.

Form since January 

F9EF28CC-534B-4682-983A-3F3E7B22F227.thumb.jpeg.44a3ab0ee79ac8ad4ab20d3ea852c4e2.jpeg

And Manchester United are 12th in that table. I doubt they're finishing anywhere that low either.

Their progress will be steady and probably a bit stuttering at times; appointing Eddie Howe isn't really indicative of a club who want instant Champions League football, more a side who want sensible recruitment, attractive football and sustainable progress.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But we’d sold Kante one year and Drinkwater the next. Financially we didn’t need to. 

To be fair Kante had the clause in his contract that put it out of our hands. Drinkwater was kicking off and it was in the interests of the club to sell him for a good amount, and getting him out of the dressing room while doing so. You are right though, we certainly have sold before when it suited us, even when we didn't need too financially.

• Like 1

Just now, Bilo said:

And Manchester United are 12th in that table. I doubt they're finishing anywhere that low either.

Their progress will be steady and probably a bit stuttering at times; appointing Eddie Howe isn't really indicative of a club who want instant Champions League football, more a side who want sensible recruitment, attractive football and sustainable progress.

I think we saw in the players they signed and are signing that they know this is a long project. I think they are going about it the right way rather than buying a load of mercenaries and has beens on high wages  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I remember when QPR were the richest club and they were going to shake things up… fat load of good it did them

I don’t remember when a secretive investment firm with £500 billion in assets and limitless supplies of cash purchased QPR, though. 

Even with their ownership regime, I'd still wouldn't classify Newcastle as a progressive club.

Their owners need to understand that success might take time and Maddison should see the benefit of being in an already very decent team that has the great potential in challenging for honours at Leicester (if the team is tweaked here and there).

Definitely would be a big risk to move there in this period of time, as the owners' 'plan' may well fail in the short-term.

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Yeah, no chance a team managed by Eddie Howe and with Chris wood and Callum Wilson are getting close to 70 points, which is what they’ll need to finish in the top 6. 7th/8th/9th means f all, couldn’t give a toss with those positions. 

This is really weird behaviour by Newcastle.

Even if Maddison's agent is encouraging them to make bids, what reference point are they using for these bids? They're nowhere near what Maddison is valued at. Their bids are an insult to his ability, quite frankly.

Are Newcastle just trying to show their fans they have tried for top talent, but can't get it...?

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I think we saw in the players they signed and are signing that they know this is a long project. I think they are going about it the right way rather than buying a load of mercenaries and has beens on high wages  

Exactly.

If they'd appointed Ancelotti and started signing players like Pogba, I think you'd be able to say they were in a hurry. Realistically, they're probably going to casting their net abroad as they did with Guimares and Botman rather than get rinsed by Premier League rivals who will only sell for silly money. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

So why would Newcastle keep up the interest when player and club are NOT interested at any cost? 

If you really need someone else to be able to answer that for you, I don't really know how to help you. 

The usual conundrum, top player enters last 2 years of contract and you either renew or you sell at best value. We bollocksed it with Youri, and I hope we see something different with Madders. (6 year contract extension please Jimmy)

5 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Yeah, no chance a team managed by Eddie Howe and with Chris wood and Callum Wilson are getting close to 70 points, which is what they’ll need to finish in the top 6. 7th/8th/9th means f all, couldn’t give a toss with those positions. 

As said elsewhere, I actually admire them for trying to do things the right way. 8th or 9th would represent significant progress from what they're used to, and provide a base for 23-24 without them getting mashed by FFP.

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We were lucky as hell to finish 8th tbh, we got fortunate that everyone around us were inconsistent just as we started to string an ounce of consistency together.

So over 38 games we were lucky to finish 8th. Really?:blink:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

This is really weird behaviour by Newcastle.

Even if Maddison's agent is encouraging them to make bids, what reference point are they using for these bids? They're nowhere near what Maddison is valued at. Their bids are an insult to his ability, quite frankly.

Are Newcastle just trying to show their fans they have tried for top talent, but can't get it...?

They do think they have a chance of getting him but also useful for them to show their fans they tried for a top talent before they end up with Cornet.