Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We were lucky as hell to finish 8th tbh, we got fortunate that everyone around us were inconsistent just as we started to string an ounce of consistency together.

So what you are saying is we were better than them over the course of the season and not lucky in the slightest to finish there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

The usual conundrum, top player enters last 2 years of contract and you either renew or you sell at best value. We bollocksed it with Youri, and I hope we see something different with Madders. (6 year contract extension please Jimmy)

We didn’t exactly bollocks it with Youri. It was probably the case that had we qualified for Europe again he’d have stayed. Him staying last season was going to be a big help in that happening. 

Just now, Bilo said:

As said elsewhere, I actually admire them for trying to do things the right way. 8th or 9th would represent significant progress from what they're used to, and provide a base for 23-24 without them getting mashed by FFP.

Finishing 8th is the easy bit…. The top 6 are so strong, it’s not even the first team. Our first team was good enough to finish in the top 4 19/20 & 19/20, it’s the squad…

• Like 1

Just now, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

So over 38 games we were lucky to finish 8th. Really?:blink:

It wasn’t fortunate outside of the top 6 consistency is hard to come by, we finally got our injured players back and had already got a lot of the tough games out the way. 

• Like 1

Just now, lcfc_forever said:

They do think they have a chance of getting him but also useful for them to show their fans they tried for a top talent before they end up with Cornet. 

Could also be testing the water. Unsettle a key player in a side playing for the same aims as you, then go back in a year later if they finish higher than us or qualify for Europe. 

• Like 1

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

We didn’t exactly bollocks it with Youri. It was probably the case that had we qualified for Europe again he’d have stayed. Him staying last season was going to be a big help in that happening. 

True, will say with hindsight (so totally unreasonable) we should have sold

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

I just think we have a very good team when everyone’s fit and the leagues abit meh 

Kasper now going, no Lookman and more than likely no Youri we will be a much weaker side this year

Edited by chapero82

Just now, Bilo said:

Could also be testing the water. Unsettle a key player in a side playing for the same aims as you, then go back in a year later if they finish higher than us or qualify for Europe. 

Just don’t see how they could unsettle him. Which makes their bids even more baffling him. I’d understand Man City thinking this or a PSG but a team who finished below us? 

Finishing 8th is the easy bit…. The top 6 are so strong, it’s not even the first team. Our first team was good enough to finish in the top 4 19/20 & 19/20, it’s the squad…

Oh aye.

If Guimares or ASM gets injured long term for them and they hit poor form for any length of time; they can forget top half, never mind Europe.

5 minutes ago, Adster said:

If you really need someone else to be able to answer that for you, I don't really know how to help you. 

They're bored so concentrating all their efforts on a player who "definitely" isn't interested and a Club who "definitely" won't sell? That it?

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So what you are saying is we were better than them over the course of the season and not lucky in the slightest to finish there. 

I'm saying in a season we were largely rubbish, the teams around us were also rubbish, and that we should have been in a much more comfortable position. But yes, you finish where you deserve, but it's largely affected by how everyone else performs that affects your finishing position. 

Just don’t see how they could unsettle him. Which makes their bids even more baffling him. I’d understand Man City thinking this or a PSG but a team who finished below us? 

Depends who else they bring in really, especially seeing as we're not likely to. If they finish 6th/7th and we finish 10th, he'll be off at a fraction of the money currently being quoted. As said, they clearly aren't in any big hurry to break the top four and are content to make gradual progress. 

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

Twitter on the Maddison thread says we're interested in Dubravka.

Why?  Does it say anything on this? My God the BS is growing by the minute.  Trying to fathom out why LCFC would sell arguable their best asset to acquire a very ordinary GK not considered good enough - wait for it - Newcastle😳 ??

What am I missing chaps and lassies?

5 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

So over 38 games we were lucky to finish 8th. Really?:blink:

We were lucky that teams around us were inconsistent and poor, yes. The chances of us getting 8th in any other season playing how we did are next to none. I say lucky in the sense that we had absolutely no control over how others performed around us, and fortunately without any of that control, they gifted us many positions by being equally as poor as each other. We did not play like a team that would deserve to finish 8th in any other season. 

9 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We were lucky as hell to finish 8th tbh, we got fortunate that everyone around us were inconsistent just as we started to string an ounce of consistency together.

If the other teams were inconsistent that means they're either average to not very good - they can't all be brilliant teams that are underperfoming.

• Like 1

I think people need to chill.  Just because garbage below us last season have picked up one or two players doesn't mean that their level of play this season will be significantly above the garbage that was set last season.

The league is of a poor quality below the top 12 or so positions.

• Like 1

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

If the other teams were inconsistent that means they're either average to not very good - they can't all be brilliant teams that are underperfoming.

Yes, and that played into our favour, but we were inconsistent, and not very good. Thankfully those around us underperformed when it mattered, otherwise we would not have got 8th based on how we played last year. Which is why it was lucky for us that they were also poor. As I said before, you finish where you deserve to finish over 38 games, but it would be silly to ignore that every other team has a role in where we finish based on their own games. 

1 hour ago, roblcfc84 said:

They are going places, but not for a while. Honestly I live in the NE and saw them against Bilboa on Saturday. Squad is miles away from competing a

for top 6. If Maddison has any sense he will hold on for another year and see what happens. 

Somebody has to be their first real intent signing.Maddison is about the best they can get at the moment.The rest will follow.Anyway the balls in Leicester’s court 

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We were lucky that teams around us were inconsistent and poor, yes. The chances of us getting 8th in any other season playing how we did are next to none. I say lucky in the sense that we had absolutely no control over how others performed around us, and fortunately without any of that control, they gifted us many positions by being equally as poor as each other. We did not play like a team that would deserve to finish 8th in any other season. 

So we were lucky that the teams were not better than they were? Okay then...