Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

If we were more consistent we would have been top 6… so I’m lost with the argument, we did play poorly at times. but we scored a hat full of goals too, more so than any of the teams around us. 

Yes, you're right. And the teams around us only needed a few good results, that's my point. At the times we played poorly, we were fortunate those around us also played poorly. Us finishing 8th wasnt a result of us being great, but by everyone being pretty poor and results going our way. 

Just now, Bilo said:

Interesting take, and he certainly wouldn't be the first.

Screenshot_20220801-204410_Twitter.jpg

In all honesty this is probably what's happening. Not sure how I feel about it. It always annoys me when agents do this, and you can't really blame the player for going along with it, but at the same time, I hate that we are essentially forced to pay players massive amounts of money just because they hold leverage over us, do we really want players like that playing for us? I don't think Madders is a bad guy, and it won't be malicious, but financially there's a reason why we haven't spent anything, this sort of crap makes that situation worse, not better. After making the situation worse, it's usually the same players then complaining that we are not improving the squad. Players want to play with the best players in the world, and get paid the most.... with the same money.....

8 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Look this is not difficult. You can play terrible and get a result. You can have 1 shot all game in the 90th minute and score a winner from a deflection. The way we played last season was not top 8 premier league standard. We only finished top 8 because those around us fighting for that position were just as inconsistent as we were. It was almost a coin flip which Leicester would turn up, same for those around us. 

You're right it isn't difficult so I'm unsure how you actually believe what you're saying. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

You're right it isn't difficult so I'm unsure how you actually believe what you're saying. 

Because we were awful for most of the season yet finished in 8th? You can't play bad and finish high in the table logically unless others around you also struggle. It's just that simple really. If we played well, we would have finished much higher and with a big points gap to those around us. If they played well, they would have done the same. Fortunately for us, when we were terrible, so was everyone else, and they failed to take advantage of how bad we played at times. Results went our way.

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

Table don’t lie, you generally finish where you deserve, ever since Jimmy hill introduced 3 points for a win

It doesn't lie. Not sure why people are suggesting i'm implying it does. I also don't understand why people can't grasp the fact that where you finish is also massively reliant on how teams around you do in the league. If they do well, and we do poorly, you go down. If you do well, and they do poorly, you finish high. If teams around you play inconsistently and so do you, you still always finish where you deserve, but it's also reliant on others being bad when you are. Which is fortunate for us that they did. 

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yes, you're right. And the teams around us only needed a few good results, that's my point. At the times we played poorly, we were fortunate those around us also played poorly. Us finishing 8th wasnt a result of us being great, but by everyone being pretty poor and results going our way. 

I know everyone's getting into you, but I do kind of get your point about how our performances don't reflect the league position.

Having said that, other teams were poorer but that's not to say they weren't playing near their level consistently. They simply couldn't do that much better with what their squads consisted of. We on the other hand, were bailed out by having so many talented players, even if they performed below their level. Vardy, Maddison, Barnes, Iheanacho, Daka, Tielemans, Lookman, even Perez gives you so many ways to score goals (and that's factoring in the poor form that some of the mentioned players showed, plus we still desperately need a right winger!) as well as some fantastically talented individuals in other positions meant we could be crap and still finish that high.

If we finish lower than 8th this year, that will largely be down to the manager no matter of other teams below is improve a bit or injuries, because the quality of this team is significantly better than those below it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

In all honesty this is probably what's happening. Not sure how I feel about it. It always annoys me when agents do this, and you can't really blame the player for going along with it, but at the same time, I hate that we are essentially forced to pay players massive amounts of money just because they hold leverage over us, do we really want players like that playing for us? I don't think Madders is a bad guy, and it won't be malicious, but financially there's a reason why we haven't spent anything, this sort of crap makes that situation worse, not better. After making the situation worse, it's usually the same players then complaining that we are not improving the squad. Players want to play with the best players in the world, and get paid the most.... with the same money.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

I know everyone's getting into you, but I do kind of get your point about how our performances don't reflect the league position.

Having said that, other teams were poorer but that's not to say they weren't playing near their level consistently. They simply couldn't do that much better with what their squads consisted of. We on the other hand, were bailed out by having so many talented players, even if they performed below their level. Vardy, Maddison, Barnes, Iheanacho, Daka, Tielemans, Lookman, even Perez gives you so many ways to score goals (and that's factoring in the poor form that some of the mentioned players showed, plus we still desperately need a right winger!) as well as some fantastically talented individuals in other positions meant we could be crap and still finish that high.

If we finish lower than 8th this year, that will largely be down to the manager no matter of other teams below is improve a bit or injuries, because the quality of this team is significantly better than those below it.

Yep, the table never lies, you always finish where you deserve. But the fact of the matter is, we can only play our games, and if a couple of teams below us were less inconsistent, they would be above us. That was my point. We were awful, and if truth be told, finishing 8th playing how we did was an embarrassing advertisement for the league. This was my only point, but as usual on FT people want to twist what you're saying and make wild suggestions on your behalf. 

Edit: I know you're not exactly agreeing with me, but I appreciate that you understand my point. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

7 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Because we were awful for most of the season yet finished in 8th? You can't play bad and finish high in the table logically unless others around you also struggle. It's just that simple really. If we played well, we would have finished much higher and with a big points gap to those around us. If they played well, they would have done the same. Fortunately for us, when we were terrible, so was everyone else, and they failed to take advantage of how bad we played at times. Results went our way.

It's a results game though, so by that nature teams will be inconsistent as not everyone can win. So saying we got lucky because other teams didn't take advantage is ridiculous. It also assumes the teams below us weren't just playing at their level.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

It's a results game though, so by that nature teams will be inconsistent as not everyone can win. So saying we got lucky because other teams didn't take advantage his ridiculous. It also assumes the teams below us weren't just playing at their level.

No, it's hard to explain, but I'm essentially saying that we were fortunate that other teams were just as inconsistent as we were at the right moments, because our performances were terrible, and there's no way we looked like a top 8 team in the strongest football league in the world. You finish where you deserve relative to the other teams in the league, that I won't argue with. But i'm talking more broadly about how competitive the league was last season, so many teams threw points away from poor performances and inconsistency where they otherwise would not have in previous seasons. Just look at how bad United ended up, they've been poor for many years, but the wheels fell off last season. Many teams around us did the same which was fortunate for us. Because based on our performances, top 8 was flattering. We deserve to be there, but it's flattering nonetheless. 

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Interesting take, and he certainly wouldn't be the first.

Screenshot_20220801-204410_Twitter.jpg

Didn't someone mention Madders agent also deals with Trippier and Wood?

If only his agent knew of a team who had lots of money, who he had recently dealt with, who he could use to help leverage his client to get an improved deal and a handsome fee for himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard123 said:

You think in 2 season they will catch the current top 6? Big call that. They will need to invest 400 to 500m and double their wages to even try. How many of their players would make it into the top 6 teams? Also their revenue is not near the top 6, they don't have the global commercial income.

Will take many many years to continually be in that group of teams.

How long did it take Man city under their present owners?

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

No dispute on that, they will be, but…..they are not rushing to do so, they are not going to be top 6 next year I think, or perhaps the year after. If you want to push yourself into international consideration, then I do not see Newcastle as a shoe-in for a few years yet. You may be right, but it depends on James’s priorities.

Well Maddison already knows he won't get a look in if he stays with us.

9 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

How does Man city fit into your equation?

Man City were taken over in 2008. FFP was implemented in 2011. Would think that would be more than enough time to spend as much as you like on player wages and transfer fees. Was advertised to stop clubs running huge losses but in reality it was to stop more Man City’s. 

Edited by s11nny
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Look this is not difficult. You can play terrible and get a result. You can have 1 shot all game in the 90th minute and score a winner from a deflection. The way we played last season was not top 8 premier league standard. We only finished top 8 because those around us fighting for that position were just as inconsistent as we were. It was almost a coin flip which Leicester would turn up, same for those around us. 

I had thought the mechanism for establishing which teams were 'top 8 Premier League standard' in any given year was well established by now

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

A bigger offer maybe 50mil.  But most think the club will not take anything like that. Its unclear what madders wants ... he has said mothing.  You can sleep east for now.

Aha, 50 mill is still an embarrassing offer. If they were really interested would expect a much more realistic offer than that.

8 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

How does Man city fit into your equation?

They were the last team to do this. Hence the comment you can’t do this in the modern day and age.

People need to get over Newcastle, they’re nothing, I’m happy to suggest they will never challenge any of the top four, regardless of their financial power they don’t have the foundations to build on. They need to lay those foundations first, which takes years. 

No one even knows if these owners will actually invest properly, or just be richer Mike Ashley’s. The very fact Ashley has been involved gives me major doubts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

He was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows his miserable now.

And why would he give people his valuable time, when he would rather spit in their eye? 

Edited by Pliskin