Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

His agent is doing a grand job 

got newcastle to do the heavy lifting and now any of the big boys who might be interested know that they need to start at £55m 

if none are, then a two year extension to 2026 on more dosh is in the bag ……

wouldn’t be surprised to see spurs linked again over the next few days 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ian Nacho said:

So much for this Saudi cash. Surely if they wanted him they could just throw silly money at him. Ridiculous that they bid £35m when they paid £30m for Chris Wood. 

People have speculated whether Newcastle will follow the Man City model, but they forget what the latter did.  They didn’t have a name to call on (like Utd did) or the prestige of recent glory. So they announced themselves on the scene with massive bids on players.

The week the takeover went through they offered something like £35m for Robinho, which is the equivalent of about £125m in today’s terms. It was as much a statement of intent as it was about the player. 

Newcastle haven’t got recent success. They haven’t got the name that the other six have who could turn heads immediately. Even then Spurs and Arsenal don’t have quite the same pull as the others.

If Newcastle want their breakthrough to be as dramatic as Man City and, to some extent, Chelsea - then they really should prepare themselves to over pay for players until the name and draw of the club stands on its own merits. That’s going to be hard to do as FFP rules have basically been brought in to stop Newcastle in their tracks.

Newcastle May find they’ve got to be patient and build slowly in the current environment. It may be a while before players will push to join them. One things for sure is that I’d be very disappointed if Leicester fold too easily to give them their first step up the ladder 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

So much for this Saudi cash. Surely if they wanted him they could just throw silly money at him. Ridiculous that they bid £35m when they paid £30m for Chris Wood. 

FFP I'd suggest. They haven't made those big money sponsors yet and their income won't have increased much.

15 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

They're still governed by Financial Fair Play. It's not like the Man City days ....

Just now, tickler28 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't clubs do their research re value, players desire to leave and availability before they wade on in....

....Newcastle have done none of those things?!? Confused

Unless they’ve got wind that Maddison himself favours the move. This is one of those sorts of deals that shouldn’t happen unless the player pushes for it.

My slight concern though is that with 2 years left on his contract we could be in another Youri situation next summer and be at risk of losing him for nothing. Do Newcastle think that we’re not in a financial position to let this deal slip by? 

Everyone seems to assume Newcastle will eventually have Man City/Chelsea levels of spending.  

The Saudi PIF exist for one reason only to make money for the country and its leaders.  Newcastle are very tiny part of the fund . Now I'm sure they'll chuck a few quid at them . But it remains to be seen if they'll be happy losing 100s of millions in the long run !

12 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't clubs do their research re value, players desire to leave and availability before they wade on in....

They will also no doubt be a bit of Tom Foolery about this… we are a rival to them, unsettling / or trying to unsettle those around them 

4 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Newcastle will surely have similar difficulties as we have with ffp if they harbour too many players on contracts. Will Chris Wood get another game for them? They've still got to pay him

They are many years/manipulated sponsorship deals away from this being an issue. What’s happened to us hasn’t happened overnight and they have barely spent a Penny in years before January.

6 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Everyone seems to assume Newcastle will eventually have Man City/Chelsea levels of spending.  

The Saudi PIF exist for one reason only to make money for the country and its leaders.  Newcastle are very tiny part of the fund . Now I'm sure they'll chuck a few quid at them . But it remains to be seen if they'll be happy losing 100s of millions in the long run !

They haven’t bought Newcastle to make money, it’s a PR exercise, the Saudis will reap the rewards of higher prestige / acceptance in the west through NUFC, the £££££££s will arrive via different routes - Oil / Gas / Arms etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

They are many years/manipulated sponsorship deals away from this being an issue. What’s happened to us hasn’t happened overnight and they have barely spent a Penny in years before January.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Prem bring back some kind of rules around "self sponsorship" like they did when Newcastle were initially taken over as well

Effectively restrict/reduce how much of their own money they can pump into their own revenue stream to increase FFP allowances etc.

Just now, moore_94 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Prem bring back some kind of rules around "self sponsorship" like they did when Newcastle were initially taken over as well

Effectively restrict/reduce how much of their own money they can pump into their own revenue stream to increase FFP allowances etc.

I thought that rule already existed?

Just now, moore_94 said:

Even if they do, they will find ways around it.

Like FBS, don’t tell me there isn’t something very dodgy going on there with the amount we are being paid.

Just now, 5waller5 said:

I thought that rule already existed?

When they were initially taken over it was just outright banned

Now it looks like the deals have to represent fair market value and any payments to anyone must be fully disclosed etc.

No doubt they will still find creative ways around it though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I couldn't tell you if factual but thier wage bill no far off ours although I'm think their revenue stream is a lot higher perhaps 

Screenshot_20220801-231758_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I couldn't tell you if factual but thier wage bill no far off ours although I'm think their revenue stream is a lot higher perhaps 

Screenshot_20220801-231758_Chrome.jpg

Just shows the market correlation - that could literally be the league table there (with the exception of Man Utd, who prove the rule by being the exception!) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

I’m not sure who’s running things at Newcastle, but this stinks of the Saudi method of ‘throw some money at the poor b@stards and they’ll roll over’. 

Unfortunately for Newcastle, we aren’t paupers and our owners are Billionaires. We might be in a bit of a tough period but we aren’t desperate. 

18 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

They haven’t bought Newcastle to make money, it’s a PR exercise, the Saudis will reap the rewards of higher prestige / acceptance in the west through NUFC, the £££££££s will arrive via different routes - Oil / Gas / Arms etc

Exactly this. It's sportswashing. Same with the golf.

• Like 2