Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Don't want to obliterate our FFP wriggle room, don't want to set a precedent for over-spending, planning financially for short/medium/long term aims. And Maddison isn't 'worth' £80m+ in this market.

2yrs left on his deal, reported that he wants out, you need to make room in your wage/squad, etc.

He's worth that to us as we're not replacing him with anyone at this stage (if we could do then you'd be signing that player), that's potentially 30+ goals lost.

He really doesn't want out, there's literally nothing in his body language, interviews or anything to suggest he's anything other than ready for the season.

We need to make room by selling the deadwood, not by getting rid of our best players and having no space/time to find suitable replacements lol

I massively respect the way Newcastle are operating in the market. Signing sensibly and not blowing money on anything with a half decent reputation. You won't be signing Maddison this summer as you're not willing to pay what he's worth to us this season. Unless you're willing to offer a ludicrous amount of money, he'll be here till next Summer at the very least.

• Like 3

Also, I know Newcastle have a lot of money, and will want to move up the table, but it’s definitely a step backwards in terms of football.

I don’t think they have a single player who gets in our first choice starting XI. At present, we have a better chance of winning silverware and getting into Europe than they do.

5 minutes ago, TheFish said:

It's still bubbling along in the background, but his position isn't a priority right now. If, at the end of the window he's still available for c£35m and we can justify the outlay we might sign him. 

Ah I'd always assumed he was a 10, more of an attack minded CM then is he? Saw a picture of him and Bruno in Newcastle in June and assumed it was all but done and dusted.

23 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Leicester are definitely open to a deal, and from what I've heard, we're trying to do a deal around £60m all told. While expensive, I think that's reasonable. That is still 33% over his market value, yet some are suggesting paying more than twice his market value.

There is absolutely nothing in the slightest to suggest that Leicester are open to a deal, or for that matter that Maddison is. 

Various online sources have said so, most of which are Newcastle leaning but that means absolutely nothing in the slightest. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JimJams said:

Agents act on behalf of their clients. If the agent is doing something that irks you then by extension, so is Maddison. Don't differentiate between the two because you have an emotional attachment to one of them. 

Why are you purposely ignoring the rest of my comment? I did not differentiate, read the full comment. 

"In all honesty this is probably what's happening. Not sure how I feel about it. It always annoys me when agents do this, and you can't really blame the player for going along with it, but at the same time, I hate that we are essentially forced to pay players massive amounts of money just because they hold leverage over us, do we really want players like that playing for us? I don't think Madders is a bad guy, and it won't be malicious, but financially there's a reason why we haven't spent anything, this sort of crap makes that situation worse, not better. After making the situation worse, it's usually the same players then complaining that we are not improving the squad. Players want to play with the best players in the world, and get paid the most.... with the same money....."

I don't have an emotional attachment to Maddison, I think he's talented but if I am honest, I not really that fond of him. I think he comes across as someone who thinks he's better than he is. No doubt he's talented, but there have been far too many occasions where he has completely disappeared for months when we were struggling. His form comes in 3-4 month patches then he goes missing for a while. I think he's one of our better talents, but he is replaceable for the money we would get for him. For the first 10 games last season he was bang average and did not really do anything, between January and April was off the boil again. There's not emotional attachment here. 

4 minutes ago, Scotch said:

There is absolutely nothing in the slightest to suggest that Leicester are open to a deal, or for that matter that Maddison is. 

Various online sources have said so, most of which are Newcastle leaning but that means absolutely nothing in the slightest. 

It means that Maddison's agent has encouraged Newcastle to believe a deal is possible so they make a bid, which will strengthen Maddison's position when negotiating his new contract. That's what's going on here.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerry said:

worrying aspect is if Maddison does go will the fee be reinvested in player / players , if not then it's looking quite bleak going forward.

Don'r worry Football is a transient business things change all the time and Clubs still survive. I'm certain we will sign someone before the window shuts and some of our fringe players will leave.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It means that Maddison's agent has encouraged Newcastle to believe a deal is possible in order to make a bid, which will strengthen Maddison's position when negotiating his new contract. That's what's going on here.

And it also flushes out any of the big six who might think about buying him and let’s them know where they need to start negs from …..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its a contract play

This. It’s his agent doing what every agent does to get his client an improved deal.

Maddison would be crazy to go to Newcastle at this time. And short of stupid money we'd be crazy to let him as it sends out completely the wrong message - and that’s not the way our owners have consistently demonstrated they operate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

If you're looking to take a star player away from a club then be prepared to pay for an over-inflated price for the player. If Newcastle aren't prepared to pay what the other club values the loss then there's really no point in debating this any further. A players "worth" is based on what the holding club is prepared to accept and what the buying club is prepared to pay.

That's what I'm saying, if the reported figure for the second bid is accurate, Newcastle are offering 33% on top of his market value. That £60m is an over inflated price. 

There certainly appears to be a perceived need for Leicester to sell. Sharks are circling for Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Schemichel, Barnes, Soumare. I just read something on The Athletic and it's reported that you have a big squad, not in Europe. That you need to sell before you buy, but your players are fairly well paid which is putting off suitors. Also, that you can't afford to have another big loss for fear of falling foul of FFP. 

• Haha 2

Just now, TheFish said:

That's what I'm saying, if the reported figure for the second bid is accurate, Newcastle are offering 33% on top of his market value. That £60m is an over inflated price. 

There certainly appears to be a perceived need for Leicester to sell. Sharks are circling for Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Schemichel, Barnes, Soumare. I just read something on The Athletic and it's reported that you have a big squad, not in Europe. That you need to sell before you buy, but your players are fairly well paid which is putting off suitors. Also, that you can't afford to have another big loss for fear of falling foul of FFP. 

TM is NOT market value  lol

24 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Don't want to obliterate our FFP wriggle room, don't want to set a precedent for over-spending, planning financially for short/medium/long term aims. And Maddison isn't 'worth' £80m+ in this market.

2yrs left on his deal, reported that he wants out, you need to make room in your wage/squad, etc.

If Maddison is available at what you value him at, then at least one of the big 6 steps in and takes him before you get him anyway.

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Ah I'd always assumed he was a 10, more of an attack minded CM then is he? Saw a picture of him and Bruno in Newcastle in June and assumed it was all but done and dusted.

I think he's been a 10 for Lyon, but we'd probably have him deeper. Him and Bruno are just best buds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFish said:

And yet we're knocking back offers for our players - even those we actually want to sell! So I suspect that 'perceived need' has been significantly exaggerated by the media. Do we need to sell before we can spend big on a player? Yes. Are we so desperate that we'll sell our best players for less than we value them? Not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

If Maddison is available at what you value him at, then at least one of the big 6 steps in and takes him before you get him anyway.

Possibly, but given their wealth is certainly capable of paying 'over the odds' for Maddison, you have to assume it's because they don't want him.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

The players we need to sell before we buy aren't the starters - they're the fringe players that aren't going to play. It doesn't change our situation by selling players in our starting 11 as they would then need to be replaced - which doesn't reduce squad size or the wage bill whatsoever. 

Only if teams want to buy your deadwood. Getting rid of empty shirts isn't easy. Even harder to make money on it. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

What Newcastle are doing is like going into a Bentley showroom and offering to buy their top model for the price of a Cinquecento

Problem is, they have a gun...

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And it also flushes out any of the big six who might think about buying him and let’s them know where they need to start negs from …..

I’ve noticed a trend this window for players to be strongly linked to clubs and then moving to another club. It’s like some clubs wait for another to do the heavy lifting re negotiations on fees and packages and then come in late on to do a deal. 

If there isn’t news v soon about a new contract for madders then perhaps this is what his agent is up to.  Word that conte doesn’t fancy him but could be convinced: we know he’s a yanited fan but surely he won’t want to go with Bruno and Eriksen there; Man City don’t need him ; Liverpool wouldn’t suit him; arsenal have already sorted their creativity out 

so it’s spurs or nowhere imo 

Edited by st albans fox