Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The Newcastle Chronicle reckons they've made a total of two bids, both rejected. It says Newcastle are now 'considering their next move'. Interestingly, it also says that Leicester have told Newcastle that Maddison is not for sale - ie, this £60m figure is pure media invention.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-james-maddison-leicester-truth-24654619

Yeah, to be honest I'm not sure what I'd want for Maddison to be honest, in todays market he could be worth 60-70m, to Leicester he is probably worth more since replacing him now would be difficult unless we have something lined up, knowing our scouting we probably have multiple players lined up for each position, so we wait and see, but it would be pure Leicester City to lose Maddison and then not be able to get a replacement over the line lol

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He knows something 

I expected as soon as kasper was official we’d see some movement 

Kasper was the second highest paid player at the club, so he'll free up a serious wedge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He knows something 

I expected as soon as kasper was official we’d see some movement 

Yep, makes sense. £150k a week off the wage bill and a slot is open in the squad. RW should be priority in theory… new deal for Madders and maybe Soy? 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Yep, makes sense. £150k a week off the wage bill and a slot is open in the squad. RW should be priority in theory… new deal for Madders and maybe Soy? 

Unfortunately not with the slot is the squad, as presumably Iverson takes Kasper’s spot, with Ward already registered.

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

£6m to be precise 

Am I right in saying that our wage bill is more of an issue than our transfer budget? In other words, could some of this be used on a new contract for JM and a bit more as well as a transfer fee be used to bring in a new player?

9 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

The Newcastle Chronicle reckons they've made a total of two bids, both rejected. It says Newcastle are now 'considering their next move'. Interestingly, it also says that Leicester have told Newcastle that Maddison is not for sale - ie, this £60m figure is pure media invention.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-james-maddison-leicester-truth-24654619

Football transfers have become a vehicle for the media to get clicks on web urls and to refresh 24 hour rolling sports news. Hence they speculate and make stuff up.

willy pullers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I think your right. All this coq & balls about our best players leaving will stop if we get back into a position of strength optically.

we buy a few good players to strengthen get rid of the duds and alll of a sudden the pundits are talking about us disrupting the top 6 again.

Currently we look like sitting ducks!

But we can’t get rid of the duds, can we?  We’ve been trying but no one is buying. 

We will buy no one unless we get rid of 3 or 4 more in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Football transfers have become a vehicle for the media to get clicks on web urls and to refresh 24 hour rolling sports news. Hence they speculate and make stuff up.

willy pullers.

I know. It seems that in this case, one journalist may have speculated that we'd accept £60m and that just became an accepted truth among other journalists, Newcastle fans and even a fair few Leicester fans. The original journalist probably never even spoke to anybody at the club.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I know. It seems that in this case, one journalist may have speculated that we'd accept £60m and that just became an accepted truth among other journalists, Newcastle fans and even a fair few Leicester fans. The original journalist probably never even spoke to anybody at the club.

I’m pretty sure rumours from here and no marks on twitter have made Mercury stories? It says it all really. There are very few journalists to be respected these days.

I’d rather buy no one and go with what we’ve got, but we can’t even do that. We HAVE to shed wages and players, even if those players are the ones that will get us somewhere. 

Somehow we have royally screwed ourselves and buying trash like Vestagard, Bertrand etc was plain stupid. The new FFP rules almost literally create the breakaway super league and guarantee all other clubs will just be there as cannon fodder, us included. 

Edited by ARM1968

11 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I’d rather buy no one and go with what we’ve got, but we can’t even do that. We HAVE to shed wages and players, even if those players are the ones that will get us somewhere. 

Somehow we have royally screwed ourselves and buying trash like Vestagard, Bertrand etc was plain stupid. The new FFP rules almost literally create the breakaway super league and guarantee all other clubs will just be there as cannon fodder, us included. 

I dont understand this stuff, surely new rules can't exist to existing structures. Its stupid to set new rules that would cause a club to break them if they don't get rid of players because if they're under contract and dont move, how is that supposed to happen?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I dont understand this stuff, surely new rules can't exist to existing structures. Its stupid to set new rules that would cause a club to break them if they don't get rid of players because if they're under contract and dont move, how is that supposed to happen?

I have no clue either but we are apparently bound by increasingly severe wage% to turnover %, year on year. We seem to be trying to get ahead of that curve. For the big boys I expect that curve to be relatively linear. 

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I have no clue either but we are apparently bound by increasingly severe wage% to turnover %, year on year. We seem to be trying to get ahead of that curve. For the big boys I expect that curve to be relatively linear. 

We do have an over inflated wage bill but have numerous players out of contract next season. I think we'd like to shift them this season, I reckon the club would like money for those players, Perez you'd have thought someone would want him

Yes, this is true, which is why I said we seem to be trying to get ahead of the curve. It makes some sense but has backfired spectacularly on us by making everyone think we’re skint and that they can just swoop in and take our best players. Whoever is running the show for us needs a bit of a slap. 

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Christ alive. This is bordering on Putin levels of propaganda. He was absolutely sensational from about October onwards last season.

Between December 28th - April 3rd he produced 3 goals and 2 assists in league games -that has to be one of the most selective useage of stats and carefully and deliberately manipulation of data I’ve ever seen.

”not sure how people forget about this stuff?” Mate - you are the one forgotting that we didn’t play a league game for about 6 weeks due to covid postponements and that the first team was being rotated and often rested in league games so they could prioritise Europe.

Yes, Maddison got those numbers in the league , that’s because he started exactly 7 league games in that time! Due to all the covid postponements we had and him being rested for more important European matches. 5 goal contributions from 7 starts is an extremely good record, certainly far from “being absolutely garbage”. All while he was scoring goal after goal in the European matches he was being prioritied for.

He was absolutely brilliant between December-April last year. 

“Maddison is not someone who will drag a team forward when they’re playing badly”?? What the actual ****? He must have done that in about 15 separate games last season. 

We had one of the worst defences in the league last season and weren’t playing well at all for most of the season but were the 5th top scorers and reached a European semi-final, nearly all down to Maddison and Vardy. Maddison and Vardy dragged us through countless games last season and were the only difference between being in a relegation battle and finishing top half.

Honestly, one of the most baffling and dumbfounding posts I’ve ever seen on here with extremely bizarre use of selective stats and that’s saying  a lot. Maddison was sensational in that period you are talking about, probably the best English attacking player in the country. “Absolutely garbage” ?What the actual **** were you smoking in the second half of last season?

Just come here to pretty much post the same thing. Possibly one of the worst takes I've seen on this subject.

Cityfanlee has had an absolute mare with this one.

• Like 3