Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

11 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Honestly, if we can get Aouar as a replacement, i'm not too worried about Maddison going, he's a hell of a talent obviously, but I think we vastly overexaggerate how good he is, or how irreplaceable he is. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to replace someone contributing 20 goals/assists, but for £60m it's possible, and honestly, I know people will probably jump on me here with what seems to me as selective amnesia, but he was absolutely garbage for large parts of last season, completely anonymous when we needed him the most, he came alive towards the end of the year when the whole team seemed to pick up, but time and time again, Maddison has shown me that he's not someone who will drag a team forward when playing badly. He pops up with crucial goals from time to time yes, but I just don't rate him as highly as most LCFC fans seem to. 
He scored 1 goal in our first 11 games last season, then between December 28th - April 3rd, he produced 3 goals and 2 assists, in 4 months. Not sure how people forget this stuff, he was amazing in the last 4 games, but bang average, and well below his standards for 3-4 months before that. 

He's not bigger than the club and he is replaceable, would I keep him if I could? of course. My main concern is can we land a replacement so late in the window. 

Urgh all over

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Yes, this is true, which is why I said we seem to be trying to get ahead of the curve. It makes some sense but has backfired spectacularly on us by making everyone think we’re skint and that they can just swoop in and take our best players. Whoever is running the show for us needs a bit of a slap. 

Which of our best players have gone?

It’s those getting hysterical on here that need a slap.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Christ alive. This is bordering on Putin levels of propaganda. He was absolutely sensational from about October onwards last season.

Between December 28th - April 3rd he produced 3 goals and 2 assists in league games -that has to be one of the most selective useage of stats and carefully and deliberately manipulation of data I’ve ever seen.

”not sure how people forget about this stuff?” Mate - you are the one forgotting that we didn’t play a league game for about 6 weeks due to covid postponements and that the first team was being rotated and often rested in league games so they could prioritise Europe.

Yes, Maddison got those numbers in the league , that’s because he started exactly 7 league games in that time! Due to all the covid postponements we had and him being rested for more important European matches. 5 goal contributions from 7 starts is an extremely good record, certainly far from “being absolutely garbage”. All while he was scoring goal after goal in the European matches he was being prioritied for.

He was absolutely brilliant between December-April last year. 

“Maddison is not someone who will drag a team forward when they’re playing badly”?? What the actual ****? He must have done that in about 15 separate games last season. 

We had one of the worst defences in the league last season and weren’t playing well at all for most of the season but were the 5th top scorers and reached a European semi-final, nearly all down to Maddison and Vardy. Maddison and Vardy dragged us through countless games last season and were the only difference between being in a relegation battle and finishing top half.

Honestly, one of the most baffling and dumbfounding posts I’ve ever seen on here with extremely bizarre use of selective stats and that’s saying  a lot. Maddison was sensational in that period you are talking about, probably the best English attacking player in the country. “Absolutely garbage” ?What the actual **** were you smoking in the second half of last season?

I think we have very different standards on what constitutes "sensational" you talk of using stats in a selective way, you picked out what I said and pointed out "that’s because he started exactly 7 league games in that time!" - He averaged about 75 minutes in those 14 games excluding added time, one game he played 30 which dramatically brings the average down. 
He was absolutely not sensational in that period in my opinion. I'm not sure what 15 games you're thinking of where he dragged us to a result, but I can't find many during that period. I was expecting someone would get worked up over it, but I really don't rate him the way Leicester fans typically do, but then again I don't get carried away with the majority of players that our fans massively overrated in the past. 

You're entitled to your opinion, even if your entire response was just "Nuh uh" 

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I rate him, he's a very very good player, I just don't rate him as highly as Leicester fans do, and feel most of FT tend to have blue tinted specs when it comes to certain players. For me there have been too many periods since Maddison arrived where he's gone missing, he did really well in patches last season, but there were many times where he went missing, maybe i'm just expecting too much of him, I really wouldnt be claiming he's the best English attacking player in the country, that's just fantasy stuff, not sure why you're asking what I'm smoking when you're claiming that lol. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

2 minutes ago, The_77 said:

This is all you needed to say.

Well who knows, that could be it. It seems FT users think he's sensational, I think he is in patches. Hopefully his purple patch continues into this season as we need it desperately if we are going to properly turn a corner from the crap we served up last season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Well who knows, that could be it. It seems FT users think he's sensational, I think he is in patches. Hopefully his purple patch continues into this season as we need it desperately if we are going to properly turn a corner from the crap we served up last season. 

No player anywhere is amazing every game, that’s a bit unfair to expect. But the numbers just don’t lie over the course of the season, Madders was sensational. 

His goal-creating actions, dribble success rate, and fouls drawn numbers were elite— all while he was often forced to play out wide in an uncomfortable position for him. 

Edited by The_77
Typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_77 said:

No player anywhere is amazing every game, that’s a bit unfair to expect. But the numbers just don’t lie over the course of the season, Madders was sensational. 

His goal-creating actions, dribble success rate, and fouls drawn numbers were elite— all while he was often forced to play out wide in an uncomfortable position for him. 

He's very similar to Mason Mount in terms of positioning and playstyle, their stats are relatively similar but Mount has the edge on things like pass accuracy, forward passes, chances created, touches etc. I really don't think Mount is as special as people make him out to be either. Maddisons successful dribbles per 90 was pretty poor last season or am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I was expecting someone would get worked up over it, but I really don't rate him the way Leicester fans typically do, but then again I don't get carried away with the majority of players that our fans massively overrated in the past.

Well you were right to expect that because he was our top scorer and player of the season and your opening gambit was to say he was between bang average and garbage for most of the season, which anybody can see is obviously not true. I would be intrigued to learn what would constitute a good season for him by your standards.

If you think he's a little overrated around these parts then fair enough, and I don't think anyone would disagree that he started the season slowly, but there is a bit of a jump from those perfectly reasonable sentiments to your post which frankly comes across as a wind-up. The way to argue a player is overrated is not to go twice as far in the other direction.

• Haha 1

If you're only looking at stats then there's your first problem. 

Watch him during a game last season and at times he was the most creative in terms of his play on the ball and general influence on the game. 

There's a reason why he's rated so highly and why even non-Leicester fans were touting him for England and couldn't work out why Southgate was being an absolute melt towards him. There's a reason why his stock went up across the board. He got fitter, had fewer injuries, was more consistent and produced the kind of play everyone began to expect. Last season he was sensational - it was his best in a Leicester shirt I'd say. And based on the friendlies just gone, he's carrying that form into this season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Maddison is one of the most gifted players we’ve had…. He literally dragged us through last season…….

7 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think he was struggling with a niggling hip injury personally.

Once he fully recovered and got stronger he then became the outstanding player  that finished a very difficult injury blighted campaign at the top of his game.

Opinions differ eh !

Ps the injury blighted part is referring to the whole team not just Madders 👍

Edited by Bluetintedspecs
Addition

4 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

There’s a reason mills has been pretty much dumped by the bbc and people like Ian Wright have formed prominent careers with them. Wright was talking over the weekend how he found punditry hard when he first started due to the lack of research he did. Recognising this he went away and did plenty of work researching and reading the subject he is being paid well to represent and talk about and he has reaped the rewards, being knowledgeable and likeable.

Mills on the other hand appears to do about 20 minutes research on social media about an hour or two before going on air and then taking half backed rumours and fan myths as as fact. He’s lazy and lacks intelligence and thinks being an ex pro is enough. Eventually talkSPORT will ditch him and he’ll then be joining us as the “expert” pundit on some dodgy foreign stream we’ll be watching us play on. 

Feel sorry for Wrighty that his name is even appearing in the same sentence as Mills. Wrighty is superb I must say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Feel sorry for Wrighty that his name is even appearing in the same sentence as Mills. Wrighty is superb I must say.

Only as an example of what someone can achieve if they are willing to work hard and not take their position for granted. Weighty is superb, fully agree.

26 minutes ago, Phube said:

No but seriously…

895FD479-BBE6-44C4-A005-D3EEBB0959D5.thumb.jpeg.b95928d76df31beb13e706642be05470.jpeg

Who writes this crap?!

The Sun are reporting what some numpty from talk sport said that moving to Newcastle would improve his chances of going to the world cup.

As per a report from Pink Un, Norwich could stand to benefit should Maddison move on from Leicester this summer, having inserted a number of clauses into the deal that took him to the East Midlands.

The standout clause is a 15% sell-on of any profit made, which could boost Norwich significantly this summer.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I have to admit there was a period where I really disliked him and thought he was done, I really didn't mind us cashing in to be honest. It felt like where players like Mount and Grealish were getting better he had stalled and let his ego get the better of him. Last season he really proved me wrong, you can tell he was hurt by missing out on the England squad. I think we're seeing his drive and discipline finally match his talent now and if we can keep him here for a bit longer we'll be extremely lucky to have him.