Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

29 minutes ago, MPH said:

the last time more than one club was interested?

But that’s the thing nowadays 

players know where they want to go so two clubs never get seriously involved. the selling club may encourage bids from another club to try and force the price up but a good agent will suss that out 

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His injury record isn't actually that bad, not great but certainly not any worse than Harry Kane for example.

Sorry maybe I should elaborate. It’s clear over the last three years that he has an underlying problem. A couple of seasons ago he couldn’t take corners with his hip issue. But yes you’re right, he’s certainly been available for the majority of games over his time here.

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Im not suyre anyone is stupid enough to try that with Man city, they seem to always get a clear path to players. 

Plus once someone knows they want them, they wont want to go anywhere else. 

Even the mahrez fee was pathetic for what he was worth. 

They had to pay over 100 mill for Grealish with no one else in the frame 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

But that’s the thing nowadays 

players know where they want to go so two clubs never get seriously involved. the selling club may encourage bids from another club to try and force the price up but a good agent will suss that out 

no offense mate but unless you have intimate knowledge of every transfer dealing of every top club, you have know way of knowing if this is true or not…

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

no offense mate but unless you have intimate knowledge of every transfer dealing of every top club, you have know way of knowing if this is true or not…

No offence taken 

it’s what happens - agents and buying clubs work on deals re players terms and eventually the selling clubs become involved. The days of clubs telling players that club A have bid x and we’ve accepted , you’re on your way, are long gone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

No offence taken 

it’s what happens - agents and buying clubs work on deals re players terms and eventually the selling clubs become involved. The days of clubs telling players that club A have bid x and we’ve accepted , you’re on your way, are long gone. 

But that’s not really what I was saying.

if a player wants to leave and more than one club are interested then a ‘ bidding war’ is still the more likely option..

I hope he goes to a Man City - he deserves to work under a coach like Guardiola. Gives us an excellent end to this season, keep us up. He’s more than paid his dues and I hope we give him a really good reception when he comes back. 

From our side, I hope we are actively lining up a replacement. This is going to be a massive hole. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MPH said:

But that’s not really what I was saying.

if a player wants to leave and more than one club are interested then a ‘ bidding war’ is still the more likely option..

Say the player wants to go to Man City 

it doesn’t matter how much Newcastle or Chelsea bid for him because he won’t go there. The club will have quoted a ’not for sale’  to Man City on enquiry.  But madders agent will know from conversations with the club what fee would be accepted. This will obvs be the very top of our expectation. 

Man City will bid below that figure and hope to negotiate somewhere in between.

Newcastle and Chelsea will have discussions with the agent re terms - the agent will use that to try and increase Man City’s offer to his client. But at some point the agent will tell those clubs that madders is set on going elsewhere. Hence there is little point in them wasting their time approaching us with an offer. The more Man City pay for him, the less they may have for madders in the deal. Hence agents play a part in dissuading other clubs from bidding.
If Man City are really low balling us then the situation could change but that wouldn’t mean a real ‘auction’ - we’d eventually just get closer to our valuation. 

in madders case, the issue of the mystery ‘extra year’ in his contract is relevant to the fee we will ask for 

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Say the player wants to go to Man City 

it doesn’t matter how much Newcastle or Chelsea bid for him because he won’t go there. The club will have quoted a ’not for sale’  to Man City on enquiry.  But madders agent will know from conversations with the club what fee would be accepted. This will obvs be the very top of our expectation. 

Man City will bid below that figure and hope to negotiate somewhere in between.

Newcastle and Chelsea will have discussions with the agent re terms - the agent will use that to try and increase Man City’s offer to his client. But at some point the agent will tell those clubs that madders is set on going elsewhere. Hence there is little point in them wasting their time approaching us with an offer. The more Man City pay for him, the less they may have for madders in the deal. Hence agents play a part in dissuading other clubs from bidding.
If Man City are really low balling us then the situation could change but that wouldn’t mean a real ‘auction’ - we’d eventually just get closer to our valuation. 

in madders case, the issue of the mystery ‘extra year’ in his contract is relevant to the fee we will ask for 

our owners are notoriously difficult to deal with with regards to transfers, and they will go with the highest bidder.  Or as you say as close it it. They wouldn’t entertain a 20m difference for sure, no matter who it is.

2 minutes ago, Lcfc098 said:

With one year left on his contract, he may even run down the last year if no club want to pay our valuation which im assuming will be relatively high

This could happen which is precisely why a bidding war won’t happen, and rarely happens.

If he wants to go to Man City, it doesn’t matter how much more Newcastle will pay us, he doesn’t have to go there and can wait it out until the summer and go to Man City on a free. 

Take 45m from Man City and get it done early. 

12 minutes ago, MPH said:

our owners are notoriously difficult to deal with with regards to transfers, and they will go with the highest bidder.  Or as you say as close it it. They wouldn’t entertain a 20m difference for sure, no matter who it is.

You can’t force a player to move, especially when they have one year left. 

If he doesn’t want Newcastle he won’t go there and will wait it out. 

13 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think the consequences of stalling over fofana over a few million and not selling tielemans (and others) when they had value will force a change in this approach.  now we seem to have a proper recruitment fella in we are hopefully in a position to be trading more and moving on good players for x and replacing them with just as good options for y.  We need to look at models like brighton - selling your best players for appropriate fees whilst they still have a few years left on their contracts is not a massive problem if you have good recruitment. 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think the consequences of stalling over fofana over a few million and not selling tielemans (and others) when they had value will force a change in this approach.  now we seem to have a proper recruitment fella in we are hopefully in a position to be trading more and moving on good players for x and replacing them with just as good options for y.  We need to look at models like brighton - selling your best players for appropriate fees whilst they still have a few years left on their contracts is not a massive problem if you have good recruitment. 

I think Maddison's time has run its course in any case - his numbers are showing that he should be playing in the Champions League from next season. While it will be sad to see Maddison go, he deserves that chance now and has served us well. As you said, Glover seems to be far more proactive than the last bloke. Also, we have been heavily over-reliant on Maddison and when he's injured, we essentially hold no threat. Reinvesting in a couple of creative attacking players will make us far more balanced. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HeskeyForever said:

I think Maddison's time has run its course in any case - his numbers are showing that he should be playing in the Champions League from next season. While it will be sad to see Maddison go, he deserves that chance now and has served us well. As you said, Glover seems to be far more proactive than the last bloke. Also, we have been heavily over-reliant on Maddison and when he's injured, we essentially hold no threat. Reinvesting in a couple of creative attacking players will make us far more balanced. 

Agreed. With Fofana it just seemed so premature as he had so much to learn still before moving onto a team with zero patience to develop and nurture. With Maddison he’s already got as much as he can out of his development here. The one thing going against him though is that injury record and we saw ourselves how badly it impacted on his form and confidence. 

for me, Id be a twat, Newcastle can have him for £60mil and Man City can have him for £45/50m, since the Toon are willing to lay £40/45mil on AG from Everton

given City have already tried a cheeky bid in Jan, i suspect theyll go for him in the summer, as i can imagine a could of their midfield will go

36 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

for me, Id be a twat, Newcastle can have him for £60mil and Man City can have him for £45/50m, since the Toon are willing to lay £40/45mil on AG from Everton

given City have already tried a cheeky bid in Jan, i suspect theyll go for him in the summer, as i can imagine a could of their midfield will go

Did Man City actually make a bid? If so I missed it.