Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

57 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm not convinced we actually need to replace Tielemans.

The midfield Against Tottenham was as good as I've seen. With a proper right winger it frees up Barnes, Maddison plays more central making it easier for Iheanacho.

The creativity comes from those four.

This enabled us to have two dynamic midfielders in Mendy and KDH who were still able to get forward to support. We effectively sacrificed Teielmans creativity with someone more athletic which gives us a better balance.

Would love to hear the @StriderHiryuopinion on this.

It makes us less dependant on having a like-for-like and ready-made replacement but that is assuming we keep up (i.e. sign Tete) and add to the level of quality we have in the wide positions (i.e. depth at RW and LW). And you also have to factor in Maddison's possible departure.

Either way, Tielemans is still hands down our best technical deep-lying CM. The next closest in terms of technical ability is probably Mendy and he was excellent against Spurs. I'd be open to Mendy getting a new short-term deal (1-2years) for depth but would not be comfortable with the likes of KDH / Ndidi / Mendy / Soumare as our only deep-lying CMs. In my opinion we also need an alternative Tielemans-style option in there to ladder through the midfield and into the wide areas. The form of the fullbacks will also be key to this.

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Minimum I think we'll sign is 3: Tete, a CB and a CM. 

I'd say a minimum of 4x players if Tete and this current system remains a success for the remainder of the season. Barring a barrage of injuries to key players again, I think it probably will do.

My thinking is if Tete continues to perform the club will surely make him the priority signing. If he stays permanently keeping the current system in place requires depth in the wide areas, which we are currently dangerously light on. We know from how close we were to Harrison that that additional attacking option was next on the list. If Tete comes in, I think that option becomes our second priority signing. Otherwise we're a few injuries away from a collapse in system even before you factor in Maddison potentially going. Then as you say, another CB to build on Souttar's addition and a technical CM to replace Tielemans are crucial. 

Be interesting to see how this works out for Ward - I think most fans would call for GK to be a priority addition in the summer but with some many moving pieces in the outfield positions, it could be that we need to prioritise funds elsewhere and he gets another season as number 1. Loads of water to go under the bridge yet with contracts expiring, negotiations with Maddison, and Tete's loan deal complications but it'll be a fascinating watch.

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm not convinced we actually need to replace Tielemans.

The midfield Against Tottenham was as good as I've seen. With a proper right winger it frees up Barnes, Maddison plays more central making it easier for Iheanacho.

The creativity comes from those four.

This enabled us to have two dynamic midfielders in Mendy and KDH who were still able to get forward to support. We effectively sacrificed Teielmans creativity with someone more athletic which gives us a better balance.

Would love to hear the @StriderHiryuopinion on this.

Interesting conversation!

I would say that Saturday proved that in the Liverpool-esque 433 that we played against Spurs, you want at least one midfielder that is comfortable receiving the ball from the goalkeeper and defenders, who is press resistant, can recycle the ball and as a bonus, can play forward passes. Tielemans can do all of that, Mendy has shown a number of times he can do a lot of that too. I believe Soumare was signed for the same reason, but is not as good as the other two. Ndidi is more of a destroyer and teams worked out that pressing him was one of the best ways to stop Leicester. 

The thing is though that Rodgers likes the team to be tactically flexible, so I don't think there will ever be just one formation, we will have others that are used on occasion. In other systems Youri has proved to be one of our best players during his time here, which is why it's probable we will replace him. He's one of the best progressive passers we've ever had. But given how much of a rebuild is needed, perhaps we won't be able to. 

In general, I agree with your opening statement - I don't think we need to replace Tielemans. Maddison is the one that we'd have to replace in some way. He does things that no one else does in the squad and performs at a much higher level than anyone else. Youri is very good but in many of the ways we play, we have other players that could do a decent job. In the 433 especially it's the front 3, full backs and Maddison type role that the creativity really comes from.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

Just seen him on the garden design company talking about having many happy years in his new garden on a sponsored Facebook ad. practically confirmed he’s staying may as well close thread 

The head groundsman at LCFC helped to create his garden.

7 hours ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

Just seen him on the garden design company talking about having many happy years in his new garden on a sponsored Facebook ad. practically confirmed he’s staying may as well close thread 

It’s a lovely garden to be fair. It’s also very commutable to Manchester from there! 

9 hours ago, FoxFromCoalville said:

Video about 2 years old 

On 05/08/2022 at 10:16, Spudulike said:

The FFP reality is starting to dawn at Saudi FC. The Maddison stuff has been complete bolox from the start. 

...just need to expand St James's Park and get one of the owner's mates to pay an exorbitant price for the sponsorship stadium!!!

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

48 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just need to expand St James's Park and get one of the owner's mates to pay an exorbitant price for the sponsorship stadium!!!

They could look to holding more events there to increase income. 

I wonder if public executions would go down well with their fans? They could wear black and white headrests, Wor Kufiyah!

• 1 month later...

Apparently we would want £50m for him

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/05/tottenham-transfer-latest-leicester-james-maddison-price/

Tottenham are leading the chase to land James Maddison, with the England midfielder looking an increasingly likely departure Leicester City this summer.

Leicester are set to demand around £50 million for Maddison, who is 15 months away from a free transfer but whose statistics and record for goals and assists is comparable with the likes of Mason Mount who is in the same position at Chelsea. 

On 18/02/2023 at 22:55, FoxFromCoalville said:

That’s a good daily commute to Newcastle from there😉

30 minutes ago, Joe90lcfc said:

That’s a good daily commute to Newcastle from there😉

Absolutely. But imagine if you had a flying car? I dunno, something like this...

nr010554-15_1.jpg.b0653fde886bdba31577e13c6e8008ee.jpg

49 minutes ago, Daveb5569 said:

Stay in the lge, spend some cash in the summer, manager dependant show real signs of progress he might actually stay  

Zero chance he signs another contract here, just accept he's gone, it will be easier when he does.

He has gone forwards while the club has gone backwards.

• Like 2

We need to start selling high again, so we have to let him go in summer even if we somehow still are a PL side. Should have cashed in on Ndidi, Tielemans and Söycüncü when we could. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jonezy said:

We need to start selling high again, so we have to let him go in summer even if we somehow still are a PL side. Should have cashed in on Ndidi, Tielemans and Söycüncü when we could. 

.. imagine the uproar at the time had we done so!!!

We are only comfortable with Maddison going at the moment because the rest of the team appears to be so poor and people belive he has earned the right to go to a bigger team. If we were thriving,  it would be "...why don't we build the team around him."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

How much could we genuinely rinse Newcastle or Spurs for him with 12 months on his contract? Force them into a bidding war with each other of £60m plus?

We’ll be lucky to get £50,000,000 I’d imagine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Percy today is running the story that Man City, yanited, spurs and Newcastle are all interested - and he goes irrespective of our fate. 

if all four are genuinely interested then I think we may well get around 50m 

I also think he’s be best going to Man City where his game time can be managed better than the others 

• Like 1