Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The term is over used but Bernardo Silva is genuinely a generational talent, of course Maddison isn't quite at that level but then I'd challenge anyone laughing and rolling their eyes to name me a few suitable replacements in the world who are (go on, seriously, I'll wait.)

We have a disappointing habit of under valuing and under rating our own players on this forum and it's made worse by the fact that a lot of you have invented some personal vendetta against Maddison for some perceived lack of effort on his part this year (which is moronic in the extreme.)

But the truth is the kid was always good and this season especially he has really kicked on. He's put in some immense performances and even over the last couple of months, some of his touches, dribbles, bits of individual play have been exceptional. Were they always what we needed? Maybe not. Was he trying too hard to do everything himself? Probably so. But like it or not he was demonstrating some serious quality that will not have gone unnoticed. 

He's always been more productive than Grealish and a better team player. He's got everything Pep Guardiola would really like in a footballer and if he does go to Man City to be coached by him then he, them and England will likely all benefit tremendously. 

Fair comment we underrate our own players, and I agree Bernardo is a generational talent. If I were Man City I’d be looking at Pedri, or maybe Majer at Rennes to replace him, but neither have the all around game that Bernardo does, imo - Maddison certainly doesn’t either. But you don’t necessarily need like for like if he moves on, I’m sure Pep just adapts the system slightly to suit whomever they decide to bring in. 

They would be stupid to let Bernardo go. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

46 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Let’s say we sell sell Maddison to Man City or Chelsea who do we realistically ask back on loan as side deal?

£45m + any of Carlos Borges, Oscar Bobb or Omari Hutchinson, Cesare Casadei on loan for the season will do. 

Edit to say - I can’t see him going to Chelsea anyway. But we should be looking at loaning the very best talent for next season, and 1/2 of the above anyway. 

Imagine we would be a good prospect for big 6 teams to send their better youth players to, as they will likely play given the turnover we’ll have this summer. WoRLd cLaSS TraINiNg facilities, and we should (should) be competing towards the top of the league and dominating possession. 

Edited by Foxes96
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Lets say we sell sell Maddison to Man City or Chelsea who do we realistically ask back on loan as side deal?

...none of their players, we look to South America and bring in a quality player at a fraction of the price!!!

We keep looking for the easy option, there isn't one, we need to put in the hard work as we did before to achieve what we are looking to achieve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’ve had a few big weekends in Newcastle. The place is carnage and well worth a visit. Where do all the footballers tend to live? Durham is quite nice and leafy - do they live there?

Nah, they live in Hexham, Ponteland, Morpeth, or the city centre depending on age and family. Durham is too close to Sunderland.

Ponteland has a bunch of McMansions that footballers seem to gravitate towards. 

I could 100% see Bernardo Silva and/or Gundogan leaving Man City and Pep moulding Maddison into an advanced 8. Maddison has so much talent, and as frustrated as I got with him towards the end of this season, I get why he was trying too hard—would any of us have trusted the ball to another of our players on the pitch?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I could 100% see Bernardo Silva and/or Gundogan leaving Man City and Pep moulding Maddison into an advanced 8. Maddison has so much talent, and as frustrated as I got with him towards the end of this season, I get why he was trying too hard—would any of us have trusted the ball to another of our players on the pitch?

Gundogan has another three years in him , he did 90 minutes running on Saturday. He has an amazing engine.  Silva is lightweight but hard to contain, very good feet. Maddison is basically a poor fit for them. Its still Spurs for me , they have never replaced Erikson.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The term is over used but Bernardo Silva is genuinely a generational talent, of course Maddison isn't quite at that level but then I'd challenge anyone laughing and rolling their eyes to name me a few suitable replacements in the world who are (go on, seriously, I'll wait.)

We have a disappointing habit of under valuing and under rating our own players on this forum and it's made worse by the fact that a lot of you have invented some personal vendetta against Maddison for some perceived lack of effort on his part this year (which is moronic in the extreme.)

But the truth is the kid was always good and this season especially he has really kicked on. He's put in some immense performances and even over the last couple of months, some of his touches, dribbles, bits of individual play have been exceptional. Were they always what we needed? Maybe not. Was he trying too hard to do everything himself? Probably so. But like it or not he was demonstrating some serious quality that will not have gone unnoticed. 

He's always been more productive than Grealish and a better team player. He's got everything Pep Guardiola would really like in a footballer and if he does go to Man City to be coached by him then he, them and England will likely all benefit tremendously. 

What immense performances do you think he put in during the season just gone out of interest?

Edited by ealingfox

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There's something very scathing and, frankly, patronising in your criticism of what is actually a  minority of anti-Maddison posters on this forum. It's hardly moronic that they choose to dislike him - just the very typical attitude of many sports 'fans' who are envious of talent and success.

I've never underrated or undervalued him and any real appreciator of football can see the immense talent he brought to the team and the self-confidence which could have bettered our team - had it not been squandered by lesser individuals mismanaging the squad. Whoever employs him next will have made a coup. I think he would prosper in Italy or Spain. But, if Man City engage his services, they won't be disappointed.

Edited by gerblod
Poor wording

17 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Gundogan has another three years in him , he did 90 minutes running on Saturday. He has an amazing engine.  Silva is lightweight but hard to contain, very good feet. Maddison is basically a poor fit for them. Its still Spurs for me , they have never replaced Erikson.

Oh agreed, he's not the same player, and Maddison is much more of an Eriksen than a Gundogan. However, Gundogan is likely to leave this summer, and Silva has wanted Barca for a while now.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Correct. And?

And?...well...nothing actually. I criticised your stance and your inappropriate use of the word "moronic" - you obviously feel no necessity to answer that criticism. I envy your self-assuredness, but that's about it.

• Haha 1

Maddison is a huge talent, But he has to be indulged. Rogers tried to make him what he isn't.

He's a master at the dark arts of winning free kicks which can be invaluable in big games.

In a team like Man City he'd get the space required to show him at his best.

They have Grealish on the left but I could see Maddison going there also.

4 hours ago, blue army 1988 said:

He hasn't got the work rate

He has. He'd also improve that side of his game under him.

I fully understand, giving our relegation, the frustration and anger aimed at our players but the whole Maddison thing has become completely over the top. 

He's been our best player, when fit, for the past 2 years when players around him have been dreadful. Given the right coaching he'd certainly step up a level. Pep has the ability to do that. The obvious player is Grealish, who a lot in the media are praising for his recent form, yet statistically he's performed worse than Maddison despite being in a better team. 

Personality wise people may not like him and some of his social media comments, may have rubbed people up the wrong way but I think one day people will realise how good of a football he was for us.  

4 hours ago, blue army 1988 said:

He hasn't got the work rate

I don’t think it’s a work rate issue, it’s more a physicality issue. He’s not a fast player at all, so being able to play a high pressing system isn’t that easy for him. He does put the effort in tho and with training from pep about how and when to press I think he would be decent. But there’s no way he could keep it up for 90 mins imo.

On 06/06/2023 at 09:45, fox_up_north said:

I would be amazed if he goes to Man City. Absolutely amazed. 

They put a cheeky loan bid in for him in January.  What is so hard to believe?

Maddison is one of the best players to play for this club.  All of the vitriol about him is well over the top.  We did not go down becaue of James Maddison, but we would have been bottom without his goals and assists.

• Like 1