Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

19 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I wonder if he’s off?

Gotta be surely judging by the way BR answered the question. Shame but it’s best for both parties imo. 

No point stunting his development by him being here and not playing. 

Had some decent games earlier in the season, and thought he was pretty good in the 2 games against Liverpool in December

But since then seems to have gone completely downhill, time off for personal reasons, injuries…

A shame that in a fair few games we have completely misused him by effectively making him a defensive mid which just isn’t his game

Just now, Lako42 said:

So much money wasted by this regime 

Yeah we've got players Rodgers desperately wanted but barely played because they're crap and injured - Vestergaard and Bertrand

And seemingly players the club scouted heavily and worked on the transfer for months and months dating back to Jan/Feb 2021 and he clearly doesn't rate him.

Complete farce and yet we're going in to the summer without a new head of recruitment in place yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah we've got players Rodgers desperately wanted but barely played because they're crap and injured - Vestergaard and Bertrand

And seemingly players the club scouted heavily and worked on the transfer for months and months dating back to Jan/Feb 2021 and he clearly doesn't rate him.

Complete farce and yet we're going in to the summer without a new head of recruitment in place yet.

Sounds like we might not even get Glover until after the summer as well if Southampton make him stick around for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

I listened to the post match interview with Rodgers and the reporter mentioned something about there having been personal issues too.

Could be something to do with that. Also wouldn't be suprised if it's as you suggest - he's not looked too favourable after all.

...it had previously been reported, and said by Rodgers that Soumare had "...personal issues!!!

It was not elaborated on by Rodgers, and that is what the Interviewer was alluding to in the conversation. Rodgers tone in confirming the absence of Soumare for tonight's game, gave the impression that he was fed up of engaging with the media on the subject.

I would speculate that Soumare will not be here next season and that he was brought in against his (Rodgers) wishes.

7 hours ago, Lako42 said:

So much money wasted by this regime 

This is key. Players are expensive to buy and to wage.

It is essential to develop those we have... to fix their issues and improve their skills and mindsets.

I dont see this happening.

Ignoring tbe obvious cases... barnes needs help; yet I don't think he will get it.

• Like 1

I don't think Brendan doesn't rate him in terms of ability. I think it's either he has an attitude issue or he just isn't there in terms of fitness/match speed at the premier league level.

That said if its an attitude problem, it should be something that could be found out by the recruitment team.

4 hours ago, teblin said:

I don't think Brendan doesn't rate him in terms of ability. I think it's either he has an attitude issue or he just isn't there in terms of fitness/match speed at the premier league level.

That said if its an attitude problem, it should be something that could be found out by the recruitment team.

...Rodgers has stated, he has "personal issues...", what ever that entails!!!

Did Rodgers say that he has personal issues?

He could be homesick or struggling to adjust. It wouldn't be the first time. 

He's a young man in a foreign country, and TBF I'd probably struggle too I had to leave Lille for Leicester. :ph34r:

Some players don't work out. It's always a gamble and it happens. Move him on. 

48 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Has he ever been given the opportunity to play as the holding midfielder in the side? From memory he’s always been asked to play box to box or as a mezzala which definitely isn’t his game. 

Do we know what his game is? And how that would improve a top half Premier league team? Puzzling. 

24 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Do we know what his game is? And how that would improve a top half Premier league team? Puzzling. 

Played his best games at Lille with a ball winner alongside him. Him and Benjamin Andre were quite similar in style to the Drinkwater/Kante partnership.

Sometimes Soumare would sit back, link the play and let Andre press high up the pitch. Other times Soumare would drive forward with his dribbling, opening space for the more creative players and then Andre would drop deep to cover the counter.

From what I can recall, he has barely played in this type of role, if ever, for us. We don’t really have a defensive, box to box ball winner like Andre to partner him, which might be part of the problem. 

Someone like Ibrahim Sangare could work well alongside Soumare imo.

Edit: I watched a few Lille games last season. Andre was the standout  player but obviously Soumare is younger with more potential. There was also a period where he was dropped from the starting 11, because he rejected a Newcastle move which would have been big money at the time. But he worked his way back into the side, despite Lille having a well stacked midfield. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Piece in the Athletic today suggests Rodgers wants to work with him in the summer and help build his game. 

Interesting if so. If he does stay I still think there’s a player in there. Hopefully a full pre season and a bit of coaching and we’ll see a different player next year. 

Or if Rodgers is fed up and doesn’t want him would rather try and shift him this summer rather than him just not play and his value fall even further

Problem is without European football and going back to 1 game a week with no need for such rotation, when is he realistically going to play to develop? 1 or 2 League Cup games before we get knocked out or start playing our first team as we get deeper in the competition?

Edited by Sampson

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

Played his best games at Lille with a ball winner alongside him. Him and Benjamin Andre were quite similar in style to the Drinkwater/Kante partnership.

Sometimes Soumare would sit back, link the play and let Andre press high up the pitch. Other times Soumare would drive forward with his dribbling, opening space for the more creative players and then Andre would drop deep to cover the counter.

From what I can recall, he has barely played in this type of role, if ever, for us. We don’t really have a defensive ball winner like Andre to partner him, which might be part of the problem. 

Edit: I watched a few Lille games last season. Andre was the standout  player but obviously Soumare is younger with more potential. There was also a period where he was dropped from the starting 11, because he rejected a Newcastle move which would have been big money at the time. But he worked his way back into the side, despite Lille having a well stacked midfield. 

I’d like to see us play a 4-2-3-1 where Soumare and KDH play together in midfield with Maddison playing as a number 10 but Brendan seems fixated on this 4-3-3 we are playing at the minute. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shane said:

From what I can recall, he has barely played in this type of role, if ever, for us. We don’t really have a defensive ball winner like Andre to partner him, which might be part of the problem. 

Edit: I watched a few Lille games last season. Andre was the standout  player but obviously Soumare is younger with more potential. There was also a period where Lille froze Soumare out somewhat, because he rejected a Newcastle move which would have been big money at the time. But he worked his way back into the side, despite Lille having a well stacked midfield. 

....Sangare is a player I would like to see coming here!!!

You mention a defensive ball winner in Benjamin Andre, and suggested we would need one here, to replicate the system Soumare played in. As you failed to mention Ndidi, does that mean you are excluding him, in case he leaves us in the summer, or does he not fit the role that you have mentioned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

This is the thing about how he's been used. Throughout his time here so far I've never felt he's had a clear instructed role in the team.

First it is claimed he needs to develop his goal contribution output as a box to box then he's covering for ndidi when he's injured and now he has no momentum in a team that seemingly don't have a laid out plan for him and his progression. It's been a year and it doesn't look like he's made any adaptations to his game. There is possibly a mixture of issues though and I don't think there's just one.

To be fair on relation I don't think there is a player other than dewsbury and madders who have realistically improved this season which is worrying considering the proposed leveling up with the new training facilities. 

• Like 3