Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

We have to sell this summer even if it’s for a low-ish fee. 

The alternative is loaning him out, paying the majority of his wages and the selling him for a cut-price fee 2 years down the line anyway.

The same applies to Perez. It’s £150k(+?) pw in almost dead money 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Sangare is a player I would like to see coming here!!!

You mention a defensive ball winner in Benjamin Andre, and suggested we would need one here, to replicate the system Soumare played in. As you failed to mention Ndidi, does that mean you are excluding him, in case he leaves us in the summer, or does he not fit the role that you have mentioned.

Nah Ndidi will stay but we don’t know how serious his injury is so we might need someone like Sangare anyway.

I meant to say a defensive, box to box ball winner, so Ndidi doesn’t really fit the profile. Sangare, whilst not as prolific as a Kante or Benjamin Andre in his box to box exploits, does get forward when the opportunity presents itself and has good stats for tackles/pressures in the final third. Added bonus is he’s so good on the ball also.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FoxesCJ30 said:

This is the thing about how he's been used. Throughout his time here so far I've never felt he's had a clear instructed role in the team.

First it is claimed he needs to develop his goal contribution output as a box to box then he's covering for ndidi when he's injured and now he has no momentum in a team that seemingly don't have a laid out plan for him and his progression. It's been a year and it doesn't look like he's made any adaptations to his game. There is possibly a mixture of issues though and I don't think there's just one.

To be fair on relation I don't think there is a player other than dewsbury and madders who have realistically improved this season which is worrying considering the proposed leveling up with the new training facilities. 

...the training facilities are just what the are, bricks and mortar!!!

You put me in there to run it, and get the players prepared, you would see a very quick regression in their play and perhaps outlook. Unless you have the personnel to use the facilities to its best, the majestic surroundings will serve little purpose other than being a good vista.

He (Soumare) has said the pace of the game is his problem, but from what has been witnessed, his lethargy, appearance of carrying too much weight, not tracking back and allowing players to put in tackles where he is a few yards from the opponent with the ball, does not come across as only the pace of the game holding him back.

Whatever "...personal issues.." are, we need to address it right now, and not allow the problem to carry over into future seasons. Benkovic had problems off the pitch it appears (we still do not know the ins and outs) but we sent him all over the place, for nothing, only to finally terminate his contract, having failed to address the problem which affected his ability to play at any reasonable level.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan

If Rodgers does stay (I’m sure he will), it’ll be so hard to trust him to spend money wisely. He’s blown some decent dough on some dross tbf.

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

If Rodgers does stay (I’m sure he will), it’ll be so hard to trust him to spend money wisely. He’s blown some decent dough on some dross tbf.

Surely if Soumare was Rodgers' idea, he would have been given more playing time?.

Looks more to me like our due diligence on personality/character let us down this time.  An imperfect science.

• Like 3

It’s interesting Rogers mentioning in his most recent interview “players who don’t run scare me!”

Sounds like Rogers is potentially talking about another recruitment mistake like soumare maybe? With all that’s going on with that lad behind the scenes it’s very worrying. Rogers won’t even talk about him in interviews anymore. This is a high profile player in a high profile position. 

• Like 1

Problem with looking at getting rid of him is, he will likely go for a cut fee, and it’s another position we need to fill. With Youri going we may need to get another CM player in. We might have said go back to France now, have some time off get yourself together and come back next season a fresh. 

There’s a player in there, but I think the pace of the premier league has really caught him out.

8 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Honestly to use soumare to lambast Rodgers' spending is harsh imo, him and daka are signings for the future. You should be lambasting him for the established talent he signed then realise oh yeah they're bit shit aren't they and never used again.

Rodgers’ comments from when we signed him were so concerning though. He wanted to turn him into a goal threat B2B type despite all the evidence to the contrary 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He always seemed an odd buy unless he was wanting to pivot him and Ndidi if tielemans went maybe 

Even before we signed him it was obvious he wasn’t defensive enough for a DM and not really creative enough to be in a pair with Ndidi. 

He played quite a specific role in a relatively unique Lille side, just a bad fit.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan
5 hours ago, KingsX said:

Surely if Soumare was Rodgers' idea, he would have been given more playing time?.

Looks more to me like our due diligence on personality/character let us down this time.  An imperfect science.

I said ‘some dross’ 

Bertrand, Vestie (and possibly Soumare) = some dross 

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Problem with looking at getting rid of him is, he will likely go for a cut fee, and it’s another position we need to fill. With Youri going we may need to get another CM player in. We might have said go back to France now, have some time off get yourself together and come back next season a fresh. 

There’s a player in there, but I think the pace of the premier league has really caught him out.

I would imagine for some players coming to a new country it's not going to be easy, you need to fit in straight away.. and he hasn't offered a lot on the pitch, maybe he's homesick or something.

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

Rodgers’ comments from when we signed him were so concerning though. He wanted to turn him into a goal threat B2B type despite all the evidence to the contrary 

That’s right. And if he wanted that he should have spent that money on someone who fitted the bill. I do think there is a player in there but he should have knuckled down by now and talk of personal issues sounds worrying to me. It’s going to be an interesting summer of transfers and important to get it right this time. 

• Like 1

As an aside I’m watching the Luton vs Huddersfield match the level of aggression and desire on show is great to see and refreshing. Few of the players are premiership level but with the level of intensity on show you can see why they are knocking on the door. Hope some of our lads are watching. 

5 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

It’s interesting Rogers mentioning in his most recent interview “players who don’t run scare me!”

What scares me is a manager selecting players out of position and expecting them to excel.

I’m not sure if Brendan’s referring to Soumare but obviously he can’t compete 

with someone like KDH in terms of work rate. According to Soumare’s interview with the Athletic, it’s something he’s working on as he was surprised by the intensity of the PL. 

Soumare covered a decent amount of ground against Spurs from what I recall, despite being played out of position (again). Could be wrong of course. Hopefully someone will have a stat for his running distance against Spurs. 

A top coach needs to be able to maximize and then utilize the individual strengths of every player in the squad. Buying players and then trying to mold them into something they're not, is like trying to fit square pegs into round holes. That is poor recruitment and poor coaching as it undermines confidence and destroys the balance of the team.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Edited by SixtiesFox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

What scares me is a manager selecting players out of position and expecting them to excel.

I’m not sure if Brendan’s referring to Soumare but obviously he can’t compete 

with someone like KDH in terms of work rate. According to Soumare’s interview with the Athletic, it’s something he’s working on as he was surprised by the intensity of the PL. 

Soumare covered a decent amount of ground against Spurs from what I recall, despite being played out of position (again). Could be wrong of course. Hopefully someone will have a stat for his running distance against Spurs. 

This is no sarcastic or smarty dig, But whos to say hes playing out of position.

In todays modern football not many players stick to any original positions..

This forum ( Maybe others.?) make too much a Sticky Point  of  every/most players Football /ball sport period..

GKs tends to be the Single position where " most"   ( Not all) follow their Singular paths..

Backliners to midfield or WBacks. Some forwards to Defenders are the obvious movements, but there are the subtle changes, especially around midfield,

where when asked to change style/tactics & approach in taking up different channels...

Some players might feel they cant spread their Flexibility or themselves that wide, or its not the right  moment...

Its a poor cause to follow,when trying to criticise any manager..