Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

13 hours ago, LFox99 said:

In today's training clips you can also see Youri and our staff encouraging him after he intercepted a couple of passes in the rondos 

Yep clocked that this morning seems everyone is doing their best to show him he’s a good player.

Wasn’t Vardy in the same boat after his 1st season, thought the jump was to big for him, wanted to jack it all in, didn’t think he was good enough but just needed the confidence of those around him to believe in himself, seems strange writing that as he’s now the #1 confident player in the team both on and off the field.

10 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

For me the most encouraging thing against Hull was seeing him making yards, either by quickly passing forward or surging with the ball, using his strength to push through. 

He's not exactly box-to-box, his heat map is more compact than that but at his best he looks like a player that can unlock the side-to-side stuff and make that break through the line, which is an exciting prospect.

He's a player that can bring impetus and create momentum, disrupt a sitting opposition and beat the press with explosive forward movement. This is something that we sorely need at times, and I hope these qualities start to come out of him this season.

Ndidi's ball-winning, Maddison's creativity, Soumare's ability to move the ball into attacking areas, KDH's strength, commitment and work rate, Barnes's willingness to take a defender on - there's real potential there if they're firing on all cylinders.

For now though, the jury's still out on Soumare.

Exactly this.

Our football is naturally at it's most frustrating against the low block teams.  At times last season my biggest criticism of our football was lack of impetus, particularly on the break.  There were situations where we needed to break on teams rapidly and instead went for the safe, sideways option.  

I think that's partly because of the fear factor, knowing that if we were dispossessed we were very shaky at the back surely gets into the heads of players.  A settled back line should (I hope) alleviate some of that concern. 

But Soumare definitely offers that momentum as you say.  An ability to carry the ball and disrupt the low block, particularly when we are breaking.  Potentially at least.  However, he has a lot to prove.  Go on son, prove it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Exactly this.

Our football is naturally at it's most frustrating against the low block teams.  At times last season my biggest criticism of our football was lack of impetus, particularly on the break.  There were situations where we needed to break on teams rapidly and instead went for the safe, sideways option.  

I think that's partly because of the fear factor, knowing that if we were dispossessed we were very shaky at the back surely gets into the heads of players.  A settled back line should (I hope) alleviate some of that concern. 

But Soumare definitely offers that momentum as you say.  An ability to carry the ball and disrupt the low block, particularly when we are breaking.  Potentially at least.  However, he has a lot to prove.  Go on son, prove it. 

Soumare is quite tall so a low block might be less effective. 

Also, wtf is a low block?

• Haha 2

Finding the right role for him is key. Some of his runs and interplay have been encouraging but there are questions about his tracking back. Maybe having Ndidi back for a consistent number of games, providing him cover is what he needs to kick on. That and a run of games and being reassured he is important.

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Finding the right role for him is key. Some of his runs and interplay have been encouraging but there are questions about his tracking back. Maybe having Ndidi back for a consistent number of games, providing him cover is what he needs to kick on. That and a run of games and being reassured he is important.

Dare I say it, could we do with a DM in the fantasy window that's not going to happen?

Can KDH play the role?

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Yep clocked that this morning seems everyone is doing their best to show him he’s a good player.

Wasn’t Vardy in the same boat after his 1st season, thought the jump was to big for him, wanted to jack it all in, didn’t think he was good enough but just needed the confidence of those around him to believe in himself, seems strange writing that as he’s now the #1 confident player in the team both on and off the field.

....more importantly,, took the time to work on his game in the closed season!!!

Could not have been easy to be played wide, a position that he worked hard to make work for him. The switch to forward was what he needed but he had the sense to take time to develop his game, you need to have that self awareness.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What’s the verdict now then? After these friendlies?
Stick or twist?

I felt he was better in the Hull match. Its been nice to see him come out and put some performances in though. However, unless he is making one of 'his' runs there feels like there is an overall lack of movement. I say we sell to Monaco (assuming that's actually a thing), but its a reluctant sell for me because if Youri goes, losing Soumare too could really hurt us. But, i just don't trust Soumare to be performing in the middle of winter when we are up against it. I think he will just be jogging around the pitch.

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Chelmofox said:

I felt he was better in the Hull match. Its been nice to see him come out and put some performances in though. However, unless he is making one of 'his' runs there feels like there is an overall lack of movement. I say we sell to Monaco (assuming that's actually a thing), but its a reluctant sell for me because if Youri goes, losing Soumare too could really hurt us. But, i just don't trust Soumare to be performing in the middle of winter when we are up against it. I think he will just be jogging around the pitch.

We surely wouldn’t be selling both? That would surprise me 

I think it’s looking more likely we won’t offload, or sign, any players this summer

13 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

he's been better,but far to big a risk with his laziness, which we all know is there

I didn’t see that laziness today, maybe last season was a case of acclimatising to the pace, power and intensity of the premier league, he looked leaner, fitter and a whole lot more mobile today, i would keep him as I really think he will have a big season and be like a new signing for us 

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We surely wouldn’t be selling both? That would surprise me 

I think it’s looking more likely we won’t offload, or sign, any players this summer

Very likely both will go imo. I think there is a big chance Soumare really wants that move back to France and is likely proving his value to get the move, and i think the Youri situation could go one way of the other. If a top offer comes in then i just don't think we will turn it down. With both gone, we've lost the experience and prospect that we were hoping to develop.

Of course, i could be talking crap and both will stay. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

We've already made the investment in him so if he wants to stay and it looks like he could get close to his potential we should keep giving him chances. If all relevant parties are treating this season as a fresh start  for him he deserves this year to prove himself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bert said:

We might see a different beast now he’s had his year of settling in. It’s clear last season was also a confidence issue. Could be a right gem this season, let’s give him a chance. And if he flops this season we know to get rid. 

can't have been easy moving countries during a pandemic either

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Very likely both will go imo. I think there is a big chance Soumare really wants that move back to France and is likely proving his value to get the move, and i think the Youri situation could go one way of the other. If a top offer comes in then i just don't think we will turn it down. With both gone, we've lost the experience and prospect that we were hoping to develop.

Of course, i could be talking crap and both will stay. 

If we do sell both soon, we’d better know who we’re getting in as replacements. 
Soumare we could probably live without. If we don’t sign a quality playmaker to replace Tielemans it’ll be a tough season again imo