Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

I don't like the 'It's only Hull/Preston' etc points that people make, to try and discredit Soumare. By that same logic, we should be looking to get rid of Fofana because Ched Evans bullied him for nearly a full half. In fact, Soumare's performances pre-season have been much better than Fofana's, who has been caught out of position multiple times, leading to goals and needless set pieces given away.

Soumare offers something in midfield we don't have, a player with a degree of physicality that can also progress the ball. In fact what is obvious to me, is the improvement on the ball compared to last season. He's playing pretty much every pass first time, whereas last season he would dwindle on the ball too often....That will stand him in good stead for the League and it's much higher tempo. I don't understand the criticism he gets, compared to James Justin or Fofana for example, who again today highlighted the defensive frailties they have. Both are rash and Justin last season was directly responsible for more goals than any full back we've had that I can remember, since probably Ben Mee, when he was getting torn apart by the likes of Jimmy Kebe.

It's pretty clear he has improved. It's clear he has assets that can benefit us, and it's the job of the coaching staff to improve them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he plays against Brentford. He seems to be a confidence player and if Brendan puts some faith in him I think we'll see his true potential. Sorry for the cliché but if Soumare can build some momentum after a good pre season, he could be like a new signing :P.

• Like 2

On 24/07/2022 at 02:18, FoxyLeon said:

I don't like the 'It's only Hull/Preston' etc points that people make, to try and discredit Soumare. By that same logic, we should be looking to get rid of Fofana because Ched Evans bullied him for nearly a full half. In fact, Soumare's performances pre-season have been much better than Fofana's, who has been caught out of position multiple times, leading to goals and needless set pieces given away.

Soumare offers something in midfield we don't have, a player with a degree of physicality that can also progress the ball. In fact what is obvious to me, is the improvement on the ball compared to last season. He's playing pretty much every pass first time, whereas last season he would dwindle on the ball too often....That will stand him in good stead for the League and it's much higher tempo. I don't understand the criticism he gets, compared to James Justin or Fofana for example, who again today highlighted the defensive frailties they have. Both are rash and Justin last season was directly responsible for more goals than any full back we've had that I can remember, since probably Ben Mee, when he was getting torn apart by the likes of Jimmy Kebe.

It's pretty clear he has improved. It's clear he has assets that can benefit us, and it's the job of the coaching staff to improve them.

Absolutely agree and shouldn't picking a team included current form and not past history and performances? In those respects both Soumare and Praet, if still here, deserve consideration for inclusion in the first match day squad.

I think we've been silly here. What was the bid they initially made? £15-17m?

Given our situation, it would have been wise to perhaps cut our losses and take the money to use where its needed elsewhere. If one of be or Mendy stays I could deal with that. Happy with one of them going and we'd have got more for Soumare. 

Wonder who else might come in for him. Maybe a return to Lille now that they're selling Onana... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Given our situation, it would have been wise to perhaps cut our losses and take the money to use where its needed elsewhere. If one of be or Mendy stays I could deal with that. Happy with one of them going and we'd have got more for Soumare. 

Wonder who else might come in for him. Maybe a return to Lille now that they're selling Onana... 

I agree, but can only assume Youri is off, and we’ll need him to stay

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The issue is you don't know the structure of the deal.

If it was 17m straight cash yes.

But it could be a small fee up front, with extras based on performances like qualifying for the CL or winning something.

Not always as black and white as we believe.

• Like 2

As long as Soumare is content to stay and Rodgers will work with him and use him then I'm sort of glad, even though we badly need to raise finances. He ought to have rhe potential to be a very good player and he's still got 4 years left on his deal.

I'd be trying so hard to get Choudhury or Mendy gone as well as Tielemans and then Soumare is a rotational midfielder who will play a fair bit. He simply has to improve his work rate though.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

do you know for a fact that a bid was made?

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Naa Monaco received 100m euros for a player this summer. Totally understand why we’ve asked for more 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

As long as Soumare is content to stay and Rodgers will work with him and use him then I'm sort of glad, even though we badly need to raise finances. He ought to have rhe potential to be a very good player and he's still got 4 years left on his deal.

I'd be trying so hard to get Choudhury or Mendy gone as well as Tielemans and then Soumare is a rotational midfielder who will play a fair bit. He simply has to improve his work rate though.

Looked better in pre-season, show real desire to cover ground and get back.

Also needs to play in a midfield configuration which suits him, I want to see him running with the ball and using his power.

He's going to look better in a midfield which has energy and legs, stick him in alongside Youri is a recipe for trouble.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

According to that article Monaco offered €15m which is £12.5m

We also don't know the make up of the bid, whether that is straight up cash, any bonuses etc.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2022/monaco-priced-out-of-e20m-boubakary-soumare-deal-with-leicester-city/

That's the issue, we will give you 2m and 10m when we win the champions League sort of stuff.

A preseason against dross and now he's the answer. Given we need funds and need wages off the books we should have accepted it. Instead we've held our ground, congrats, now we're not any closer to any transfer business. I'm personally very much looking forward to Soumare's 7 starts and 18 sub appearances this season.

• Like 1

I like Soumare but think we should have taken the money and ran here. If we're being honest, we'd have to sell multiple fringe players like Hamza/Amartey to get the funds we could have got from a Soumare deal. Those players are not really wanted by other clubs so I can't see it happening. It's a bit of an embarrassing move given he's only been here a year, but we actually half decent depth at CM, with Praet and Mendy, even more so if we used some money to get a RW which would allow Maddison to be in the mix there too. 

Given we need funds, I would have liked to see some being accumulated here. Would much rather lose Bouba and potentially gain another CB/RW than the squad stay the way it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes. 

Nice, was going to say if it was just the paper/Twitter talk then it’s as likely to have been fabricated by us as it is to be factually correct but sounds like you have inside info.

No idea why we didn’t accept on that basis. Any idea what the structure of the bid was?

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

A preseason against dross and now he's the answer. Given we need funds and need wages off the books we should have accepted it. Instead we've held our ground, congrats, now we're not any closer to any transfer business. I'm personally very much looking forward to Soumare's 7 starts and 18 sub appearances this season.

So if they said 1m upfront, you pay half his wages still.

7m when they win the league and 7m more when he wins player of the year, we should accept it.

You can't just go on the headline figure, we don't know the detail?

If it was 17m upfront he would be gone.

Edited by coolhandfox