Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

I was really worried in the first half hour… watch it back closely, he was the Soumare of last season… didnt spot danger or track men into the box and when he did decide to mark, he was wrong side.

2nd half he looked better but I would only be giving 6.5/10

The big difference for me last night was his workrate and desire. There was a bit really late in the game where the ball was lost (maybe he lost it to be fair, I can't remember!) and he really ran to chase it down near the half way line. There's no way Soumare last season would've done that. If nothing else he wouldn't be on the pitch!

Very early days but looked like the player we were hoping for from the YT vids. 

Really not understanding the positive comments. Whenever I saw him he was slow to close anyone down (if he did at all), let the opposition players pass him by when they were building an attack, and rarely made himself available when we were trying to play out of defence.

I lost count the amount of times he stood in no mans land, lethargically jogging around

• Like 2

Reminds me of Kevin Campbell when he played for us.

Had a good game last night for me, one of his better performances and pretty sure there is more to get out of him.

Many said there is a player in there somewhere so maybe that's emerging after what seemed to be a struggle to adapt to the UK and the Prem.

34 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

Many said there is a player in there somewhere so maybe that's emerging after what seemed to be a struggle to adapt to the UK and the Prem.

Hopefully with him having apparently committed and even more hopefully being rid of whatever issues he had last season (if there were any), we're going to see how good he can be. 

From my view last night, his performance was confident and assured. He made a number of decent challenges, tracked back and recovered, and (more importantly to my mind) was doing what we were told he can do, i.e. carry the ball forward. I like.

I have a question over where/how we fit both him and Ndidi in but that's hardly a showstopper. I think it can work, it's about finding other balances elsewhere on the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrT said:

Really not understanding the positive comments. Whenever I saw him he was slow to close anyone down (if he did at all), let the opposition players pass him by when they were building an attack, and rarely made himself available when we were trying to play out of defence.

I lost count the amount of times he stood in no mans land, lethargically jogging around

Exactly this, so many times he just watched players ghost by him.  One point in the first half he was standing next to Wilf at the edge of the box while Erickson I believe lined up a shot that just went wide. 

The put a few strong challenges in the second half but that’s the first time I think I’ve seen him do that. 

It’s as if he’s been told to not apply pressure and chase anyone.  Mendy is negative by default (or just following orders) in his play but he puts a shift in. 

• Like 1

I was obviously watching a different game to most- I know we are trying to grab onto any small straw of positivity but come on - he was absolutely bang average- you cannot be a holding centre mid and not make a tackle all game- he also very rarely wanted the ball off the 2 centre halfs and got in Youris way plenty of times- absolutely no chance was his performance a positive- he should have been off at half time with Thomas - who was woeful- I cant believe what im actually reading about his performance- he is so slow and lethargic- he is ok on the ball but doesnt do enough to get onto it- did he win a header or a block or an interception all game? from what I saw and its only my opinion he got passed around by the oppo all game - didnt get close to anyone to stop them and didnt do anything creatively going the other way- utter muk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jv1 said:

I was obviously watching a different game to most- I know we are trying to grab onto any small straw of positivity but come on - he was absolutely bang average- you cannot be a holding centre mid and not make a tackle all game- he also very rarely wanted the ball off the 2 centre halfs and got in Youris way plenty of times- absolutely no chance was his performance a positive- he should have been off at half time with Thomas - who was woeful- I cant believe what im actually reading about his performance- he is so slow and lethargic- he is ok on the ball but doesnt do enough to get onto it- did he win a header or a block or an interception all game? from what I saw and its only my opinion he got passed around by the oppo all game - didnt get close to anyone to stop them and didnt do anything creatively going the other way- utter muk

Completely entitled to your opinion and that's what makes football great but he did make some really good standing and sliding tackles, as well as win a fair few Ariel duals. So I think its unfair to say he didn't make a tackle all game. 

He wasn't amazing and appreciate your comments in reference to his lethargic style of play but was probably one of the best in a bad bunch in my own opinion. He clearly has ability and I genuinely felt last night was one of the first games I thought he showed that he wants to be here which for me is a positive in itself. Maybe if I watched the game back on Tv as opposed to live from my seat I may change my thoughts slightly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Oh - and I cannot believe he is getting in infront of Ndidi and Mendy- criminal- if he starts as our holding centre mid this season we will 100% go down

Mendy is rubbish lol 

If we go down the sole reason won't be because Soumare is playing holding midfield.