Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

If Iwobi had put that simple early chance away that was caused by Soumare, not untypically, being caught idly in possession, and we had consequently not gone on to win, those on here who are bigging him up would simply not have a case.

Yes, he did some good things later in the game, and there are signs of general improvement in his tackling and passing, but he also did some more very bad things.

I simply don’t trust him as a defensive midfielder. And so far there is no evidence to suggest that he can play more effectively in any other position. It is mere wishful thinking to suggest that he will ever be a real asset to this team.

• Like 3

We need a new CDM.

I hope he proves me wrong but IMO Soumare isn't the answer, does some nice things at times but he's a liability in my eyes - doesn't sense danger and plays far too laid back for a midfielder in this league.

I really wish Wilf could get back to his old self, he's regressed so much in the past 18 months or so.

12 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I can never make my mind up on him. Is it more that he’s not a CDM? He seems to me more comfortable going forward than being N’didi.

The issue with that is, if you put him as one of the more advanced midfielders I can't see him doing much in terms of goals and assists - just not sure where he fits or what he adds. He's a real conundrum for me.

• Like 1

There's something I like about Soumare. I don't know exactly what it is but I hope for better things for him and from him. I felt a similar way about Mendy when he first arrived all those years ago.  It's a kind of understated demeanour I think.

• Like 2

His performance was so weird last night, he always seemed to make the risky one-touch pass, often to a player who was being marked. It always seemed to come off which is credit to his passing ability and his confidence in his passing ability. But I had my heart in my mouth several times when he was making needlessly very risky passes when much more simple ones were on. And I don't mean risky as in trying to open up an attack, I mean risky as in passing it back to a marked right-back.

Rarely have I seen a player control the ball with his foot on top of the ball rather than his instep. To then have to do a rollover to get the ball from under his feet.. by which time, as showed on a couple of occasions yesterday he gets dispossessed…

looked tidy enough when we were knocking it around one touch but his lack of awareness around him is still alarming and should be a natural instinct..

• Like 2

Im not sure Soumare is the answer for CDM but i think Ndidi is finished here personally. Id like to see Mendy given the role permanently for his ability on the ball. Cant go back to having someone as uncomfortable on the ball as Ndidi in such a vital area of the pitch, one mistake and the opposition is in at the defence. Its just a massive handicap to a team that likes to pass it about

Edited by South Shire Fox

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I really want him to do well here.

I think we all do but if you watched the game yesterday you’d have noticed that he gave the ball away twice in really dangerous areas, allowing Everton to spring forward at pace.

Against a better attacking side, we’d have likely conceded goals there. The first one led to a bad miss that really should have put us one down.

You can’t have this at Premiership level. He’s got to be quicker. Even the commentator yesterday remarked that Soumare looked really slow at times.

Passing the ball around calmly is bread and butter of a central midfielder. Doing the ‘ugly stuff’ well is what splits the wheat from the chaff.

Rodgers has done well here by dropping Tielemans deeper, to provide cover for Soumare.

It’s working at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It comes down to two things for me, 1) he's not as good as Ndidi or Mendy as a defensive midfielder as positionally he's atrocious and he isn't as good at tackling as them and 2) he's not as good as Tielemans, KDH, Praet or Maddison as a CM. 

He is everything I under appreciate as a central midfielder. Doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't break up play well enough. He's a water carrier.

Didier Deschamps: France should replace current boss

• Like 1

He’s not aware not to be a DM and he’s not all-action enough to make up for it. He’s composed on the ball but isn’t progressive enough with his passing or running - the two aspects that stood out at Lille.

If we can recoup ~ £15m for him in the summer we’d be wise to do and reinvest the funds into a proper DM option.

Santi Comesaña’s profiled incredibly well stats-wise for quite a while now (admittedly I’ve never watched him play),
he’d cost about £20m I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He offers absolutely nothing. I can’t see why he plays? And Mendy is sat on the bench who’s a far more complete player. We would be even more comfortable if Mendy played. I simply do not understand why he keeps starting. 

He offers more productive passes than Mendy and Ndidi, especially the latter who's got to the point where he's unable to receive and pass a football successfully. With how Rodgers wants us to play I can see why he wants him there, but he's just so casual and laid back that I'm not sure he'll stop getting caught in posesssion or track players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s still crap. He offers absolutely nothing. I can’t see why he plays? And Mendy is sat on the bench who’s a far more complete player. We would be even more comfortable if Mendy played. I simply do not understand why he keeps starting. 

Mendy has similar issues to Wilf. Defensively he is fine, arguably more aware than Wilf, but has less telescopic limb-ability. However, where I would argue Bouba is better than both is in his ability to ‘show’ for the ball and thereby keep the play moving, did not say forward, but we can recycle and keep possession.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s still crap. He offers absolutely nothing. I can’t see why he plays? And Mendy is sat on the bench who’s a far more complete player. We would be even more comfortable if Mendy played. I simply do not understand why he keeps starting. 

Agree Mendy all round better player probably. But he can't break up counter attacks, he doesn't have the speed or strength to do it.

Also Soumare and Ndidi offer more defending corners which is a key requirement for our team.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It comes down to two things for me, 1) he's not as good as Ndidi or Mendy as a defensive midfielder as positionally he's atrocious and he isn't as good at tackling as them and 2) he's not as good as Tielemans, KDH, Praet or Maddison as a CM. 

He is everything I under appreciate as a central midfielder. Doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't break up play well enough. He's a water carrier.

i see you have found a new scapegoat and we won

• Like 1