Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest nathan.

Soumare

All the talk was of him being a player in the Viera mould when we signed him, glimpses of which were there on his debut. I’d given up hoping to see it. Long since written them off as the deranged ramblings of incontinent alcoholics. 

All this time it was Rodgers’ fault.

Go figure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Collymore said:

It's ridiculous how a player so bad for so long can turn up and be unplayable like that. He was like a monster. 

I had written him off as well, but it was almost unbelievable how bad he was considering he was a French League title winner before we bought him. For him to have achieved that means he must have had the talent to win games week in week out. Thankfully we have a manager that is now allowing him to play his natural game and show off his talent.

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

All the talk was of him being a player in the Viera mould when we signed him, glimpses of which were there on his debut. I’d given up hoping to see it. Long since written them off as the deranged ramblings of incontinent alcoholics. 

All this time it was Rodgers’ fault.

Go figure.

It seems to me there is a lack of synergy between the scouting, analysis and coaching departments. 

- Vestergaard. Too slow to play high line football. He might be good for a team that sits back and hits on the break, but we haven't done that for years. 

- Perez. More of a second striker than an inverted winger like Barnes. I'm not convinced he was a Rodgers signing, I think the stats showed his touch map being on the right hand side, but anyone that watched him play knew he wasn't an inverted forward.

- Daka. This is the one that seems on paper to have been recruited the best in the sense that at his best, Daka plays very similarly to peak Jamie Vardy. His link up play is poor, but often under Rodgers, Vardy didn't touch the ball much but still scored a bag full. This one I think is on the player, we should expect more from him. The scouting was solid.

- Soumare. We were using him as part of a slower build up, but it seems like we need to play back to front a lost faster to get the most out of him. When he was at Lille, they transitioned forwards pretty quickly.

We rightly have a dig at Rodgers, but my point is that regardless of who the coach is, we should be signing players to play the system they play. For example if we wanted to play high possession football, we should have signed a player that is brilliant at passing and is press-resistant. If we are going to play high line, sign a defender who steps in to win the ball.  If we are going to bring in a winger, bring in someone with pace and who can dribble past his man. One of the reasons why Spurs, Man United and Chelsea are in a mess is because they have a collection of players that all suit different systems.

The club do seem to be doing this properly again (Faes, Tete, Kristiansen, etc) but it's something that is very scary for the summer. If we sign a hodge-podge of players that don't suit any real system we are in trouble.

Ultimately this falls on the DOF.

• Like 2

Really good on Saturday but he's still the same player who's shown close to zero effort in 2 seasons. We just occasionally see these flashes that show us there's a serious player in there. Makes it even more frustrating. 

Hopefully he can get some consistency,  would be a huge asset if he could.

I do wonder if most of Soumare's issues are in his head. Does he have the mental strength to consistently perform at the level he showed yesterday? As many have said, we have seen glimpses of this before (albiet not as good) but he switches off and stops putting effort in quickly. I appreciate there may have been a disconnect between his ability and what Rodgers wanted him to do, but I've seen this chap drag his feet around a pre-match warm up like a teenager and put bugger all effort in. Its going to take a few good performances before i even consider him a long term keep.

Always thought there was a solid player in there - somewhat of a hybrid between a KDH and Mendy. It's obvious he has the physical and technical attributes to succeed, but you've got to question what Rodgers was telling him. Seemed clear he wasn't a Rodgers signing, and probably took its toll on him. Always liked that he would constantly show for the ball from the CBs, and play little first-time passes out to fullbacks. It's the easiest way out of a high press, and second to Mendy he's a player I feel confident with on the ball in the defensive 3rd. Be very interesting to see a midfield of him and Tielemans (who still should be starting, the one mistake aside) with Maddison further up. Should dominate the midfield at home against weaker opposition.

Edited by stb1996

On 23/04/2023 at 08:51, trooky said:

His best game in a Leicester shirt by a mile, his powerful dribble and pass to Nacho was reminiscent of his days at Lille.

Never seen him play with this much energy under Rodgers when he looked paralyzed with fear.

Maybe it was the responsibility of not having Maddison in the team and gave him the freedom and confidence to play and not just lay off 5 yard passes.  Hopefully he can keep it going to the end of the season with Maddison back in the team.

...perhaps in this short time, the coaches have got him to look at what is around him and to read the game better!!!

He (Soumare) has commented that the Premier League is quick and has a lot of running, but I believe his game is better when we play at a higher tempo.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...perhaps in this short time, the coaches have got him to look at what is around him and to read the game better!!!

He (Soumare) has commented that the Premier League is quick and has a lot of running, but I believe his game is better when we play at a higher tempo.

Sometimes, if the manager preaches slow patient football it can rub off in mentality, look how much of his clips were one touch and play, just like we'd seen the management team preaching in the training videos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

It seems to me there is a lack of synergy between the scouting, analysis and coaching departments. 

- Vestergaard. Too slow to play high line football. He might be good for a team that sits back and hits on the break, but we haven't done that for years. 

- Perez. More of a second striker than an inverted winger like Barnes. I'm not convinced he was a Rodgers signing, I think the stats showed his touch map being on the right hand side, but anyone that watched him play knew he wasn't an inverted forward.

- Daka. This is the one that seems on paper to have been recruited the best in the sense that at his best, Daka plays very similarly to peak Jamie Vardy. His link up play is poor, but often under Rodgers, Vardy didn't touch the ball much but still scored a bag full. This one I think is on the player, we should expect more from him. The scouting was solid.

- Soumare. We were using him as part of a slower build up, but it seems like we need to play back to front a lost faster to get the most out of him. When he was at Lille, they transitioned forwards pretty quickly.

We rightly have a dig at Rodgers, but my point is that regardless of who the coach is, we should be signing players to play the system they play. For example if we wanted to play high possession football, we should have signed a player that is brilliant at passing and is press-resistant. If we are going to play high line, sign a defender who steps in to win the ball.  If we are going to bring in a winger, bring in someone with pace and who can dribble past his man. One of the reasons why Spurs, Man United and Chelsea are in a mess is because they have a collection of players that all suit different systems.

The club do seem to be doing this properly again (Faes, Tete, Kristiansen, etc) but it's something that is very scary for the summer. If we sign a hodge-podge of players that don't suit any real system we are in trouble.

Ultimately this falls on the DOF.

Can't speak for the others, but it's documented that Rodgers courted Vestergaard. Maybe the truth is the others weren't all his fault, but this one was completely on him signing a player who he then expected to change from playing to his strengths.

I think the fact that this situation didn't exist to remotely the same level under previous managers accentuates that it became an issue under Rodgers. I go full Occam's Razor on this and point the finger at the Gucci man.

14 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Can't speak for the others, but it's documented that Rodgers courted Vestergaard. Maybe the truth is the others weren't all his fault, but this one was completely on him signing a player who he then expected to change from playing to his strengths.

Can you or someone else find that for me please? Because I don't think that's the case at all.

My recollection is that after Fofana was injured, Rodgers made the please to Rudkin to get a player to come in so we could sustain a challenge across the season. Vestergaard was the one that was available and Rodgers approved it. Vestergaard is not the type of player that he's used in his teams before. On paper, his forward passing ability was the thing that would have stood out, and maybe the feeling was he wouldn't be that bad in a high press - things that you could apply to Harry Souttar. 

When we signed him, Vestergaard had just had a strong Euros for Denmark. But there was always that feeling that he felt a bit out of place because he's a player in a very different mould to Soyuncu, Evans or even Amartey. 

• Like 1