Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Nichola Sturgeon announcing a freeze on rents until at least March in Scotland, and a halt to evictions.

I wonder is she will then order a freeze on interest rates that landlords have to pay on their mortgages, or assist the landlords where the tenants are refusing to pay but cannot be evicted.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Nichola Sturgeon announcing a freeze on rents until at least March in Scotland, and a halt to evictions.

I wonder is she will then order a freeze on interest rates that landlords have to pay on their mortgages, or assist the landlords where the tenants are refusing to pay but cannot be evicted.

Bloke I work with got massively done over during COVID, his tenants just stopped paying and it took well over a year to get them out, think it cost him near 30k all in eventually, shocking.

19 minutes ago, kenny said:

As I said, the legislation is there for new developments and it becomes more onerous all the time.

Its very easy to take a simplistic view and say we should have replaced 100,000km of highway drains, much more difficult to do in practice.

Certainly.

But facing the difficult and taking responsibility for it is part of leadership.

NB. My earlier point regarding contempt towards international co-operation being a key weakness stands.

11 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

I wonder if a basic human requirement in a far less elastic market than other requirements (food etc) should really be used as a tool for profiteering at all.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

it absolutely wasn’t at all. No other major party had it in their manifesto. It wasn’t talked about by other parties at all and barely in the press. It was an internal division within their own party and Cameron after getting cocky with the voting system and Scottish independence referendums only decided on it because he thought he would easily win and it would end the debate. He has even admitted both Nick Clegg and George Osborne told him it was crazy and he’d be opening up Pandora’s box to have the referendum as a policy

Secondly, that doesn’t mean they had to negotiate it the way they did. Norway have had referendums turning down EU membership but have much stronger ties to the EU which benefits them, there’s also no reason it couldn’t have been more staggered or delayed during covid which probably would’ve been much more sensible - joining the EU generally takes about 10 years of slowly meeting criteria, we took about 6 months after faffing around with a deal for 3.5 years. Leaving the EU is not the same thing as ripping the plaster off. But as Dominic Cummings has said, he thought it was a better option electorally - again it’s a problem the Tories created themselves for the purpose of short term gain

If the Labour party was in charge, they would have come under pressure from their own members as a large percentage voted to leave. 

It may have been resolved differently, but to assume the unhappiness with the EU would have disappeared had Milliband been PM seems highly unlikely to me.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The UK like virtually all other western countries other than Switzerland is a representative democracy, not a direct democracy. The whole idea of it is that we elect experts in law, economics, diplomacy etc. who have a greater understanding of these complexities and a greater understanding of their knock on effects to make these decisions. 

That's gone well XD :claude:

1 minute ago, What the Fuchs? said:

That's gone well XD :claude:

It isn’t going well at all atm. But it’s still a preferable system which has generally worked better than either direct democracy or dictatorship as far as I can see.

Doesn’t help that since Johnson got into power, his party has moved in a more scary direction than anything under Cameron or May and our government has been trying to erode away the checks and balances needed to uphold the precarious democratic system.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

God bless the Queen.

Caption competition? :ph34r:

image.png

Queen: "Are you the one who ran through the fields of wheat?" 

Truss: "No Maam, that was Teressa May"

Queen: "What happened to the fat bloke with funny hair?"

Truss: "He was here earlier to resign Maam, I'm his replacement"

Queen: "Are you the new Prime Minister then?"

Truss: "Yes Maam, pleasure to be of service"

Queen: "You seem a bit shit. Now kiss my hand and get back to work"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Johnson for some crazy reason was popular with lots of the public and therefore the Tories were happy for him the front man. I get the feeling they will try and keep Truss in the background as she is so hopeless as a communicator 

Well I don't imagine her waffling on about pepper pig world or something equally ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

God bless the Queen.

Caption competition? :ph34r:

image.png

Her Majesty. I thought Phillip had you done away with?

Truss. You have the wrong glasses on Ma'am. I'm not Diana.

Or...

Her Majesty.  Can you interveve at the KP and get Rodgers out?

Or.....

Truss. It's the middle of the day Ma'am. Why have you got all your lights on. Haven't you heard of climate change and the cost of living crisis?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1