Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

When the UK voted for Brexit, I thought it was a mistake. But the way it’s panned out, you really have fallen off a cliff, and continue to still be hitting every single rock on the way down, taking the worst possible course at every turn, cheered on by fools.

An absolute laughing stock from afar. Sorry.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

When the UK voted for Brexit, I thought it was a mistake. But the way it’s panned out, you really have fallen off a cliff, and continue to still be hitting every single rock on the way down.

I would say pot calling kettle but then you guys are doing a reasonable job of cleaning up your mess by having ScoCoalMo out on his ear and getting in a government that is actually competent.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I would say pot calling kettle but then you guys are doing a reasonable job of cleaning up your mess by having ScoCoalMo out on his ear and getting in a government that is actually competent.

Yes, the ship of fools over here was allowed to sail for 9 years. Very different problems though, and not quite such immediately self inflicted harm, though the long term damage environmentally is a challenge and will always represent a lost opportunity.

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

When the UK voted for Brexit, I thought it was a mistake. But the way it’s panned out, you really have fallen off a cliff, and continue to still be hitting every single rock on the way down, taking the worst possible course at every turn, cheered on by fools.

Is this the UK which despite the idiots in charge is on course to perform as well as the Eurozone economically?  like Australia I think think will quickly look a lot better once this fool is gone.

Some interesting articles about pointing out that Boris knows this is over, and is now engineering the most painful exit possible to play into his narrative of being forced out despite his huge mandate.  Helps his memoir and general earning rights, and fits in with his self image.  Sounds about right.  Also means he gives zero ****s about the carnage this causes for the Tory party and the country, who might struggle along for months with a barely functioning government if they cannot move very quickly.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is this the UK which despite the idiots in charge is on course to perform as well as the Eurozone economically?  like Australia I think think will quickly look a lot better once this fool is gone.

Everything I've read points to the UK suffering badly from Brexit, and increasingly so into the future. The contradictions it has raised in Northern Ireland are probably insoluble. I doubt very much that anyone is going to really be able to "make Brexit work".

However, much worse than the original decision by the electorate to leave the EU, is the way it was done in the hardest possible form, inflicting maximum damage on exporters and huge amounts of red tape and paperwork. How this can possibly be compatible with a thriving economy is beyond me. We were told at the time that this didn't matter as "taking back control" was much more important.

This was all compounded by electing a known li@r and opportunist, who quite obviously lacked any sort of integrity, falling for his bullshit at every turn. More sociopath than statesman. Someone who, like Trump, has no respect for the checks and balances of democracy, and who will do or say anything to attain and retain power.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Also means he gives zero ****s about the carnage this causes for the Tory party and the country, who might struggle along for months with a barely functioning government if they cannot move very quickly.

I too give "zero ****s" about the Tory Party. Since Thatcher they've been busy dismantling all the advances made by the Attlee government post 1945 - which was also backed by a huge mandate of the people. However those people were intent on change for all levels of society, because they'd lived through poverty, war and all those other social ills caused by governments which had been far more interested in keeping the status quo than creating the promised 'land fit for heroes' of 1918.

Conservatism is about looking after No.1, whilst telling all and sundry it's not. The huge mandate was, in fact, a "plague on both your houses" reaction. Those so-called Red Wall voters just could not identify with Corbyn - possibly because of his ideological resemblance to Scargill. They desperately wanted (and still want) to feel something of benefit to them could happen - that London gave a toss about those who lived beyond Northampton. They saw Brexit as a possible answer and the court jester as the man to effect it. Many of us could see it was a bad move and so it has turned out. The modern Tories have sold us out - the Party of no talents. Getting rid of Johnson is necessary but ousting the Tory govt is essential. We actually need a government which reflects all povs - we'll never get that until the voting system changes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adrian said:

alternative opinions are just pissed on in this thread so .....I hate Boris already..brexit was a totally terrible idea 

Can I be part of the club now?

"Alternative" opinions are absolutely fine as long as they can be backed up with facts. But the fact is that Boris (and to a lesser extent, Brexit) has become totally indefensible now

• Like 1

I actually rather think this forum is broadly representative of the common opinion. There's a mix of backgrounds and experience - some well off, some not, some with families, some not.

If the majority of people on here are in broad agreement about something, it's probably a view shared by most of the country. 

So, no, it's not a club. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adrian said:

alternative opinions are just pissed on in this thread so .....I hate Boris already..brexit was a totally terrible idea 

No doubt there’s a left leaning slant on the forum but there’s literally posters like @Jon the Hat and @Strokes who are either a dedicated Conservative voter or will happily defend their vote for Brexit and even if they get questioned on it (mad on a message board I know) and do get the occasional jab that’s a bit overboard, they’re not exactly driven off. 

If you want to try and defend Boris fine, but you seem to be inferring that other posters are completely intolerant to other ideas whilst seemingly being very sensitive to being challenged (I’d like to again emphasise, on a message board) on the topic in which at this point, even card-carrying Tory party members are well over him.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Adrian said:

About time you came round. Better late than never eh lol

I don’t usually post things like this and you can take it with a pinch of salt and everything, but one my friends works as an advisor in Whitehall and he texted me this morning to say that he reckons Boris Johnson’s days as PM are numbered. It could be rubbish but he doesn’t usually text me with false info, so…:dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don’t usually post things like this and you can take it with a pinch of salt and everything, but one my friends works as an advisor in Whitehall and he texted me this morning to say that he reckons Boris Johnson’s days as PM are numbered. It could be rubbish but he doesn’t usually text me with false info, so…:dunno:

Wow, I am very surprised by this revelation

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

My nan that has crippling dementia and hasn't recognised me for over a decade knows Boris's days as PM are numbered. lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I reckon I could have texted you that knowledge this morning to be honest and I’m not out of bed yet lol 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

No shit. Really?  Apart from it being all over all news channels, who knew?

• Haha 2

Btw, I would like it on record that I haven’t yet resigned 

more than a few people in the media have mused that boris is following a playbook which will raise the stakes on his memoirs.  Evidently he needs a multi million pound book deal rather than just a million - yes he does they say. 

a straight resignation will be worth way less than this extended standoff with all the additional chapters it provides. 

and think of the film !!

• Like 1