Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I feel sorry for people who genuinely think this.

This is the legacy of Johnson and his regime. They have single handedly debased both politics and trust in politics. Anything that makes people dismiss politicians as "they're all the same" is hugely damaging to democracy. 

Same as the bods who when an election comes around say “I don’t vote because they’re all bad or what difference will my vote make”. 

Total rubbish. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nalis said:

Cranky is probably the biggest loser in all this, her USP in a Scottish independence referendum was based around the choice between independence or having Boris as your leader.

Potentially, SNP have had similar issues with Drakeford, think they've ****ed the railways since getting in charge of them. I've always thought deep down she doesn't want independence it's just a good thing to run on because who loves the english

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's the likelihood that any of the 40+ mps that resigned in past 24-48hrs get a job back under a new PM? 

I imagine a number of the junior positions will get their jobs back for continuity and ease but I doubt any cabinet ministers will get their jobs.

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Cranky is probably the biggest loser in all this, her USP in a Scottish independence referendum was based around the choice between independence or having Boris as your leader.

I don’t know. Having the UK in paralysis because we now have entire departments of government unoccupied is a pretty compelling reason to ‘take back control’ [tm].

I just hope his lasting legacy isn’t the destruction of the UK.

39 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah it's pretty funny, pretty much everyone on either fence thought he did a shocking job, saying that I will give him a little credit on not caving in for the 4th lockdown they wanted 

Christmas and new year, unlike the rest of Europe, the government assumed a 'wait and see' policy which as it turned out was more luck than judgement, but it definitely paid off. Make no mistake though, the motivation behind this policy was in the main, Boris desperately trying to salvage his reputation and popularity after a his recent tailspin in the polls; in the wake of the North Shropshire by-election disaster (following the resignation of Paterson) and of course the inevitable damage associated with the incoming Sue Gray report. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

Just now, Line-X said:

Christmas and new year, unlike the rest of Europe, the government assumed a 'wait and see' policy which as it turned out was more luck than judgement, but it definitely paid off. Make not mistake though, the motivation behind this policy was in the main, Boris desperately trying to salvage his reputation and popularity after a his recent tailspin in the polls, in the wake of the North Shropshire by-election disaster (following the resignation of Paterson) and of course the inevitable damage associated with the incoming Sue Gray report. 

I think the south African data made it more of a lucky punt, infairness I think a lot of it was to keep sunak on side because he was very close to stepping down amongst the 2nd lockdown I think it was. I mean for most of his scandals, it usually triggered new restrictions/advice so for him to not have pulled that I think shows this process might have happened if he acted the 4th lockdown

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think the south African data made it more of a lucky punt, 

To an extent, yes. 

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

infairness I think a lot of it was to keep sunak on side because he was very close to stepping down amongst the 2nd lockdown I think it was. 

There may have been an element of that.

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I mean 

^

6 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

for most of his scandals, it usually triggered new restrictions/advice so for him to not have pulled that I think shows this process might have happened if he acted the 4th lockdown

Largely due to that fact that the actual trigger was a major global healthcare crisis. 

He was never about to authorise another lockdown. He was vehemently opposed to the second and third remember. His decision was in the main around his own popularity and in the face of a large backbench revolt, regaining his perceived cult of personality. 

Apparently the new cabinet appointments have been approved.

Basically he is going to cling on, or try to, until Autumn.

God knows how any MP with any shred of decency can accept a position in his cabinet now.

This sounds like it could get even more messy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

I want basic competence and an indication that the PM has at least some desire to improve the living standards of Britons. The conservatives have made several deliberate decisions to make people poorer in this country, I can't remember a government doing this to the same extent before. 

I don't disagree with any of that mate, I'm just saying the basic principles of morality and integrity have been long gone since Johnson stepped into office, he's just a good snapshot of it