Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Very happy Starmer is cleared, was fearing the next Labour leader would be some god awful Corbyn/McConnell type.

I’m pleased about that because Keir and Angie are an electoral asset to us Conservatives. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’m pleased about that because Keir and Angie are an electoral asset to us Conservatives. 

Lets see at the next general election.

Anyway, surely as a Tory you'd rather have a Corbyn type to sweep up the middle of the road voters?

35 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

6 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Keir Starmer is a reason why I - typically a Conservative voter - would be happy to vote Labour. If you think he’s an electoral asset to the Conservatives, you’re very much mistaken.

Who as Labour leader would you chaps consider an electoral threat?

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Right now, someone who’s competent and moderate. Essentially, I can’t see myself ever voting for anyone with hard left policies. But Starmer seems decent - a bit dull but who cares. Burnham gets mentioned a lot and I could see him picking up a lot of votes. (I know he’s not an MP right now.) I like Nandy a lot but not sure she has the necessary gravitas. Cooper’s competent; even David Lammy has grown on me a bit. On the other hand if Labour head back down the direction of a Burgen or a Long-Bailey then I’m not touching them with a barge pole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The party that wins the majority of the middle ground always wins (unless it’s a singe issue election like last time) 

its not rocket science 

No point wasting time and policies trying to convince your basic voting block to support you - you’ve got to appeal to the middle ground. 

The problem that parties have is that their membership votes for the leader ……. Starmer is fairly boring but he’s a safe pair of hands. The tories need to do the same. if they choose someone stained by Johnson’s administration, then that will screw them over because it’s just too easy for Labour to discredit them. 

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

Keir Starmer is a reason why I - typically a Conservative voter - would be happy to vote Labour. If you think he’s an electoral asset to the Conservatives, you’re very much mistaken.

Well, I guess we’ll see eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

My parents are typical blue rinse OAP Tories.

They said they hoped Johnson would become PM. I told them that I did too, as he would consign the party back to the bin for a generation. They wouldn’t listen to reason or consider evidence about why he was a hopeless cock.  

They celebrated and gloated when he won the gig. I didn’t speak to my father again until late last year. He was a vile c*** about it, Brexit and other stuff. 

They are voting for Starmer. 

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t like anyone gloating over election victories, from either side. I was happy (well, relieved) when the Conservatives won the last election but there was never any need to rub it in people’s faces. I may massively disagree with people who backed Labour last time out, but I acknowledge they did so because they had a heartfelt belief it was the right thing to do for the country. To give them a booting, particularly at a time when they themselves will be saddened and disappointed for the futures of themselves and others is just cruel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Me, Streeting. He’s younger has more drive and ambition, and is more left leaning than Starmer, without being extreme left,(as far as I know) though I’m not sure whether being a remainer would count against him. 

Edited by Fazzer 7

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t like anyone gloating over election victories, from either side. I was happy (well, relieved) when the Conservatives won the last election but there was never any need to rub it in people’s faces. I may massively disagree with people who backed Labour last time out, but I acknowledge they did so because they had a heartfelt belief it was the right thing to do for the country. To give them a booting, particularly at a time when they themselves will be saddened and disappointed for the futures of themselves and others is just cruel.

I think it’s more down to his personality changing with age rather than him being a Tory. 

It’s bizarre considering all of his children and in-laws work in social sector roles and have all suffered from Tory cutbacks and pay freezes. It’s like he hates us all…but me in particular. 

I’ve spent a lifetime treading on eggshells, it was a wave of relieve when I cut him from my life.