Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Just now, Parafox said:

"paralysed" might" have been a better term?

Oo, I like that. In-fact that would actually be better than him being dead. I'll take anything that makes him really suffer, for ever. 

• Thanks 1

If the Tories choose any previous cabinet minister for our new PM they are going to be tainted from the link with Johnson!!

They'll lose the next GE.  And if they decide to go down that route, they deserve to lose power!

So that really leaves one of the outsiders/backbenchers to come through.

Who, I don't know.

13 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Although fading from living memory we have a lot to thank for the landslide Labour victory of 1945. I still think some Tories would like to take us back to the 1930s . Workers know your place and all that

I agree totally, although "a lot" could be substituted by 'everything'. The dismantling of the welfare state has been an ambition of the Tories since Thatcher emerged from her crypt.

The country never had its priorities right after Attlee & Co. Trying to remain a 'world player' when countries like Germany and Italy got on with sorting the domestic mess out. That's reached its comical end with Johnson rushing off to Kiev/Kyiv - trying to demonstrate his qualification as the defier of Putin and ignoring any serious attempt to reduce the cost-of-living crisis. And, weirdly, in impoverished rural constituencies like mine, Tory candidates get massive majorities. It defies logic. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Johnson thought he was Churchill and Truss is fan of Thatcher. God help us

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a Tory who wasn’t a fan of Thatcher. I imagine even “scouser” Dorries would state allegiance. 

15 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

“Michael if we hadn’t got out when we did the French would be

patrolling the streets by now”.

I’m sorry to laugh at something that must be an absolute nightmare for you sometimes, but that is quite funny lol 

21 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a Tory who wasn’t a fan of Thatcher. I imagine even “scouser” Dorries would state allegiance. 

I’m sorry to laugh at something that must be an absolute nightmare for you sometimes, but that is quite funny lol 

I saw Truss described as an inferior Thatcher tribute act.

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

I agree totally, although "a lot" could be substituted by 'everything'. The dismantling of the welfare state has been an ambition of the Tories since Thatcher emerged from her crypt.

The country never had its priorities right after Attlee & Co. Trying to remain a 'world player' when countries like Germany and Italy got on with sorting the domestic mess out. That's reached its comical end with Johnson rushing off to Kiev/Kyiv - trying to demonstrate his qualification as the defier of Putin and ignoring any serious attempt to reduce the cost-of-living crisis. And, weirdly, in impoverished rural constituencies like mine, Tory candidates get massive majorities. It defies logic. 

Thanks. Great post

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that Johnson has a dual role as Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister. It's a nuance lost on many of us, although, de facto, in our system, one has to be leader to be PM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Guardian Friday edition front page states he's resigned as PM and LotCP. But there's an interim period until a fresh (?) leader can be found.

So he can go now and an interim Leader/Acting PM can take the position or he can hang around until the new leader is found?

His scathing comments about "the herd" and bitterness about being turned on show a man blind to his many failings.

We can scorn him for his narcissism and immorality, but the system allowed him to be elected by a tiny minority of ageing Home County nimbyist Conservative Party members. These people have difficulty distinguishing Starmer from Corbyn. Any resignation by a PM should result in a general election. That would then put the onus on whichever party was in power to choose a responsible and capable PM. 

Until that day and the introduction of PR, we suffer under the whims of low-level fanatics, self-seekers and conmen (and women). I believe, in the main, that Tory MPs see Westminster as just another exclusive club they can continue the good life in. I know there are conscientious MPs, yet their reputation is sullied by the privileged and entitled. Politics in this country needs a bloody good shake up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that Johnson has a dual role as Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister. It's a nuance lost on many of us, although, de facto, in our system, one has to be leader to be PM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Guardian Friday edition front page states he's resigned as PM and LotCP. But there's an interim period until a fresh (?) leader can be found.

So he can go now and an interim Leader/Acting PM can take the position or he can hang around until the new leader is found?

His scathing comments about "the herd" and bitterness about being turned on show a man blind to his many failings.

We can scorn him for his narcissism and immorality, but the system allowed him to be elected by a tiny minority of ageing Home County nimbyist Conservative Party members. These people have difficulty distinguishing Starmer from Corbyn. Any resignation by a PM should result in a general election. That would then put the onus on whichever party was in power to choose a responsible and capable PM. 

Until that day and the introduction of PR, we suffer under the whims of low-level fanatics, self-seekers and conmen (and women). I believe, in the main, that Tory MPs see Westminster as just another exclusive club they can continue the good life in. I know there are conscientious MPs, yet their reputation is sullied by the privileged and entitled. Politics in this country needs a bloody good shake up.

When Cameron & May resigned they both continued in a caretaker position until a new leader was found, so this is quite normal.

• Thanks 1