Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

I would have liked to see what Mordaunt had to say; unfortunately she’s gone out of her way to say absolutely nothing. Terrible start to her campaign, and when that happens they don’t tend to improve.

From the list of policies and approaches it looks to me (my opinion) like Sunak’s the best so far. Meanwhile Braverman’s easily the worst. I really wouldn’t want a leader who’s obsessed with culture wars and wants to destroy plans for fighting climate change, however short their term may be.

But yeah, still a plausible-but-sad option is for someone who’s about competent enough to get us through to the next election then buries the right of the party with a big loss.

34 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Not saying they haven’t. I just don’t think labour would or could do any better. 

Labour under starmer could still probably lose to these Tories, they're trying to out right wing the tory extremists 

3 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I would have liked to see what Mordaunt had to say; unfortunately she’s gone out of her way to say absolutely nothing. Terrible start to her campaign, and when that happens they don’t tend to improve.

From the list of policies and approaches it looks to me (my opinion) like Sunak’s the best so far. Meanwhile Braverman’s easily the worst. I really wouldn’t want a leader who’s obsessed with culture wars and wants to destroy plans for fighting climate change, however short their term may be.

But yeah, still a plausible-but-sad option is for someone who’s about competent enough to get us through to the next election then buries the right of the party with a big loss.

Well I guess there had to be one candidate that bought into the Farage "net zero watch" total disregard for the future of human civilisation, didn't there? I'm actually a little surprised there isn't more.

29 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

All opposition parties have big up their credentials. What would you expect them to do? shows what a shambles the Johnson government has been that a GE could even be discussed with 80 seat majority.

I agree. No one wanted him out more than me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well I guess there had to be one candidate that bought into the Farage "net zero watch" total disregard for the future of human civilisation, didn't there? I'm actually a little surprised there isn't more.

Her policies come across like someone who is actually straight-up horrible. She needs to lose her seat.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Net zero in this country needs tweaking. You can’t escape the fact that in terms of emissions we’re one of the smallest contributors. Yet it seems we’re taking more extreme measures than most, whilst the biggest players carry on with business pretty much as normal. 

• Like 1

I never understand why anyone who leans right is so happy for us to miss out on a genuine opportunity for the country to build itself up and put itself on top for decades to come, instead falling back on being happy for us to “settle into the pack”.

41 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Arguing against climate change plans in the midst of a notable heatwave may not play too well for her …….

mind you, she strikes me as not knowing too much about anything ….

7 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Yes, you see this is precisely the kind of viewpoint I want to see discouraged because it means:

1. We’ll never deal with climate change.

2. We’ll miss the boat for the opportunity for Britain to become the world leader in fighting climate change, and lose out on all the technological advancements and benefits that being at the forefront of a technological revolution would bring.

I'm not too fussed about 1.

There is no doubt we should be piling research into becoming a world leader in carbon neutral technology and sustainable energy generation. There is a huge opportunity in becoming a genuinely green economy and exporting the knowledge to other countries.

45 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Net zero in this country needs tweaking. You can’t escape the fact that in terms of emissions we’re one of the smallest contributors. Yet it seems we’re taking more extreme measures than most, whilst the biggest players carry on with business pretty much as normal. 

With respect, this is a red herring for two key reasons.

The first is one that Dunge and Kenny have elaborated on above.

The second (more important one imo) is that the effects of climate change are hardly likely to respect national borders and so even if the "biggest players" are "carrying on as normal" (which they're not, can supply evidence for this if needed), not taking these "extreme" measures and engaging them in a communal race to the bottom is hardly a great strategy.

The effects are coming for everyone on Earth - whether they choose to be an ostrich about it (thanks Big Nige) or not. The more everyone does, as little as it may be, the better chance we might have as a species.

18 minutes ago, kenny said:

I'm not too fussed about 1.

There is no doubt we should be piling research into becoming a world leader in carbon neutral technology and sustainable energy generation. There is a huge opportunity in becoming a genuinely green economy and exporting the knowledge to other countries.

Can you unpack this a little bit, if you have the time and inclination?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

Would agree that Sunak is the only one who to say anything remotely sensible at this point. Anybody advocating for corporation tax cuts during the current cost of living crisis is evil imo. 

Also Shapps doesn’t seem too bad compared to the rest. Tugenhadt is a nutter even though he’s apparently a ‘centrist’. 

Edited by Lionator

Off to Mallorca end of month, anyone been recently and know if I need to fill in any covid related forms? 

I cant see anywhere mentioning anything but just want to be safe, thanks. 

Edited by Jabfox
incorrect thread, apologies

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you're wondering why the Tory leadership candidates are going on about 'wokeism' or whatever they call it, when we touched on the leadership contest during a quick catch up with my mum, she excitedly noted that one of the candidates, who she couldn't name, was 'going to sort out all that woke rubbish' and would therefore 'get my vote'.

Needless to say, the extent that 'woke issues' affect my mother on a day to day basis is questionable, but through her choice of media she is now convinced that this is pretty much the most important challenge we face in 2022 and it needs to be tackled head on.

I simply wrapped up the conversation and went and got myself a can

Had pretty much the same conversation with my old girl. I make a point of not mentioning politics as that usually ends up with me grabbing my car keys & clearing off.

She said "what about Boris then?". I said, "you voted for them". Her justification was something about getting Brexit done. A woman who just about has a stroke every time she's in Asda.  How everyone speaks in a foreign language, ignorant of the fact that it has zero impact on her life in any way.

"How's Brexit working out for you then?"  She offered Covid as a reason why it's gone completely tits up. You mean the "perfect get out of jail free card & he still managed to fvck everything up".

Where's my car keys?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Had pretty much the same conversation with my old girl. I make a point of not mentioning politics as that usually ends up with me grabbing my car keys & clearing off.

She said "what about Boris then?". I said, "you voted for them". Her justification was something about getting Brexit done. A woman who just about has a stroke every time she's in Asda.  How everyone speaks in a foreign language, ignorant of the fact that it has zero impact on her life in any way.

"How's Brexit working out for you then?"  She offered Covid as a reason why it's gone completely tits up. You mean the "perfect get out of jail free card & he still managed to fvck everything up".

Where's my car keys?

If you're trying to get a brexiteer to admit they got it wrong then good luck with that!!...

None of them actually knew what they were voting for!  They just saw the big red bus with how the NHS would be better off,  stopping immigration and other various lies!

No one wants to admit they were conned by snake oil salesmen like Johnson and Farage!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

If you're trying to get a brexiteer to admit they got it wrong then good luck with that!!...

None of them actually knew what they were voting for!  They just saw the big red bus with how the NHS would be better off,  stopping immigration and other various lies!

No one wants to admit they were conned by snake oil salesmen like Johnson and Farage!

I could be wrong with this, but I’m starting to get the impression you’re not overly keen on Brexit.

• Haha 1