Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Exactly and why should I pick up my dog's shit? It's only a little dog. There's a Chinese family down round with a massive Saint Bernard leaving giant turds everywhere so why should I pick my bulldog's little curlers? 

Well I wouldn’t worry because no one will be able to afford energy soon. Problem solved. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62123691

Guest David Oldfields Gate
6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

There’s absolutely zero chance of it is there?

Early days but they’re all too busy drivelling on about tax cuts apart from the bloke who has actually had a handle on the treasury for the last 2 years. But then he’s got absolutely no ideas or seemingly anything else to say anyway - just continuity Osborne, albeit the only one who is at least being honest

Dont even know why they’re all banging on about tax cuts. The people that will decide are all 70 and paying no tax anyway. Just tell them you’ll ban all housebuilding and will plant a few trees and you’ve won ffs.

Sure Starmer just has to sit in cruise control rn but he’s had two significant speeches in a week and said the square root of naff all. 

In the interest of balance I am 42 and pay a shed load of tax thank you. I'll let you know who I vote for.

Guest Kopfkino
4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

He announced two policies today as far as I could see? The tax on private schools, and plans to recruit 8,500 mental health professionals by closing a tax loophole on private equity.

Apologies if they've been announced before, I've certainly not seen them.

Yeah policies (and I think at least the first one is something he has said before) aren’t a vision or a bigger picture or even a set of principles, which what is sorely missing currently in Uk politics. He’s announced a billion and one policies (can’t say they’re lacking there) but what he doesn’t have is a clearly set out vision, an overarching analysis of the issues to address, the ‘why’ behind the policies, or anything explicitly big picture (I’m sure it’s implicit if you piece it all together). 

Policy without what I’d view as foundations (the analysis, the vision, the principles) is just lazy imv. Today’s speech was a good example, he said a lot of things but honed in on nothing. Labour at the next election is going to be all about economic growth and then he proceeded to not talk about economic growth and instead talked about a couple of reasonably ‘minor’ tax changes. Sure they’re nice policies, sure it’d be a struggle to complain about them but they’re not a strategy and they’re not propping up a strategy either.

The Corbyn project was impressive when it had a clear analysis of a few issues, when it’s policies clearly tied into that analysis, and when it tried to portray its vision for the future. It became less impressive when it became policy incontinent and just threw free shit at people.

Tbf to Starmer, he’s at least got a book coming out where he is supposedly outlining a vision but why he felt it necessary to put it out in a book rather than actually discussing it at any point in the last two years is a mystery.

53 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The comments on there are truly amazing. The way they cling so strongly onto 2017 as if it was some sort of masterstroke by Corbyn - he still ****ing lost. And then lost again really, really ****ing badly.

They especially couldn't cope with this reply:

I would normally love an Owen Jones pile on but to say that the Tory implosion is a reflection of Starmer over Corbyn is a bit of a stretch. 

• Sad 1

I don't think it's far fetched to say, a Tory in fighting who currently don't have a leader therefore, nobody knows really what type of party they're voting for is going to be reflective in the polling. I mean you think back to Batley and spen when Starmer looked very fragile, most of the ground he's gained since has been self inflicted from the Tory party. Like we're not talking policy and actual politics that has reflected the current shift, it's all sleaze within the party which has really came through leaks. Starmer may have done well in pmqs performances but largely most of the public don't see that, only people invested in politics see that 

You're right with the stroking of Corbyn though, let it go lads lol , to take credit away from Starmer when effectively the victorious loss Corbyn had in 2017 was very self inflicted from May who clearly got overconfident that nobody would vote citizen Smith 

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

6 hours ago, kenny said:

I'm of the opinion that we live in a global, consumerist society that will not accept any reduction in living standards.

We can improve the greeness of what we do, but in practice its buying crap we don't need, that's designed to be thrown away and doing things we don't need to do that's the crux of it.

We can slow the rate that carbon is produced but I doubt we can reverse what is happening. We also can't stop the global population increasing.

Thanks for the answer.

I would say that human nature is what it is but that's no reason to be fatalistic, accept the status quo and not look for ways to make such consumption more sustainable and adjust it in a way that makes carbon emissions more manageable. Also, as people get more comfortable, the population stops rising naturally anyway - you see that in most leading nations, getting everyone else to catch up in terms of standard of living would mean the same. The neo-Malthusians are wrong, and the rate of global population growth is slowing and has been for some time.

40 minutes ago, kenny said:

Just 2.4billion more people to produce carbon then.

I personally think from what I've read that with the correct political and logistical decisions made, that is sustainable.

Of course, those decisions have to be made and applied, but if it goes all Pete Tong it will be the fault of poor decision making as opposed to Malthusian screeds about "too many people" IMO.

And, I'll be totally honest, I don't get the seeming willingness to accept the inevitability of a massive population crash as a fait accompli here. Especially when that attitude and apathy as a result of it will contribute to that very thing happening - self fulfilling prophecy in action.

7 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think it's between Priti Patel or Sajid Javid for the top job. Certainly know who i'd prefer.

Javid has always been the better of the bad bunch and I don’t think he would be a disaster. He won’t win for two reasons a) he’s a Muslim (even if non practicing) and b) he’s bald. 

Edited by Lionator

15 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Kemi Badenoch is a rank outsider. But from  what I’ve seen and heard from her in last couple of days, she should be red hot favourite. Though I doubt she’ll make the playoffs. 

What stands out to you? I’ve not really seen much of her and I can’t tell much difference between her and Braverman except Braverman has more name value. 

35 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Javid has always been the better of the bad bunch and I don’t think he would be a disaster. He won’t win for two reasons a) he’s a Muslim (even if non practicing) and b) he’s bald. 

Perhaps Fabricant could lend him one of his syrups?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think it's between Priti Patel or Sajid Javid for the top job. Certainly know who i'd prefer.

I can’t see it being either. Sunak and Truss will gather most support from their fellow MPs; Mordaunt’s the outsider as she’s popular with the membership and doesn’t seem to particularly rub people up the wrong way, but needs the numbers and hasn’t really said what she stands for.

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Labour will table a no confidence motion in Boris Johnson's government later today, seeking to hold the vote on Wednesday, party sources say.

Surely too late? Needed to be done at peak drama when there was a chance to win it. 

My thoughts exactly, but then there could be a number of Tory MPs who are dissatisfied with Boris still being in number 10, or even distrusting of his motives moving forward. Presumably they have had conversations and have a sense of whether they are likely to have enough support, otherwise it seems very odd.