Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Not a fan of people with suspicious tans, those OAP Tory members. It took them centuries to get used to the idea of women leaving the kitchen.

I’ve been surprised at the make up of the list (not impressed) 

but I’ve always thought the Tory members would never elect anyone of colour to be their leader.  If they have to choose between two then mr spoiled ballots will be our new PM …..

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 1

Badenoch: “"She's been a minister in many different departments" and people who work with her "speak very highly" of her ability to do things in government, and she has a "fresh approach".” BBC

Absolutely not what anyone I’ve spoken to says about her. Words include “strange”, “aggressive”, and “odd”.

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

If she makes the final 2.... she's got it in the bag!

It’ll be a push as Truss will mop up the right-winger votes. The rest will split between her and Sunak - think it’ll come down to how persuasive Davies’ team can be in convincing Sunak supporters to switch to her. Marginal seat MPs could be convinced to switch from Truss+ to a more moderate candidate based on Rishi’s polling.

I kind of wish Mordaunt hadn’t entered for this contest. She would have been a very strong choice to pick up the pieces and make the Conservatives credible again once the Tory right had been battered at a general election.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve been surprised at the make up of the list (not impressed) 

but I’ve always thought the Tory members would never elect anyone of colour to be their leader.  If they have to choose between two then mr spoiled ballots will be our new PM …..

Maybe conservatism in its purest form is absolutely the place for such a varied cultural make up of candidates. 

Meritocratic. Respecting talent. Ruthless pragmatism. No regard for  old school ties.

Up until Cameron, wasn't it actually Labour who'd had toff PMs?  and  tory PMs were the offspring of circus clowns, greengrocers and servant girls? 

Tories also had first gay PM and first (and second) woman pm. 

24 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Just as Key-ev changed to Keev when Putin's crimes began, is Soo-nak turning into Sunnek? On Sky News today, there were definitely two pronunciations of dishy Rishi's surname. Btw, that epithet is courtesy of my sister!

Misguided and plain wrong, if that's a possible reason for her to vote for him, assuming she's of a voting age.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Maybe conservatism in its purest form is absolutely the place for such a varied cultural make up of candidates. 

Meritocratic. Respecting talent. Ruthless pragmatism. No regard for  old school ties.

Up until Cameron, wasn't it actually Labour who'd had toff PMs?  and  tory PMs were the offspring of circus clowns, greengrocers and servant girls? 

Tories also had first gay PM and first (and second) woman pm. 

Don't think Jim Callaghan was posh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Misguided and plain wrong, if that's a possible reason for her to vote for him, assuming she's of a voting age.

Did I say anything to suggest that his looks are a reason to vote for him? But since the subject has been raised, research has shown that appearance is a factor in voting habits worldwide. Here's one of various citations, all essentially saying the same thing.

https://wol.iza.org/articles/how-do-candidates-looks-affect-their-election-chances/long

From a distance and knowing close to nothing of each of the positions of the potential leaders... my view from Oz is that Sunak will win.

He appears the most covered by our media, which is of course who decides who is in power. Puts your $ on Sunak :)