Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

They have TV hustings tomorrow and Sunday, so my guess is that the remaining 5 will stay in for those, hoping to make a big impression.

Unless Tugendhat is massively impressive at the hustings, though, he looks likely to be eliminated on Monday. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if whichever of Truss and Badenoch gets fewer votes on Monday drops out so as to have a united right-wing vote in the latter stages.

Looking at today's figures, it's by no means certain that Truss beats Badenoch on Monday. Truss is now only 15 votes ahead and there are Braverman's 27 votes to be redistributed.

I think Truss is oddly a shoo-in for the final 2.

TV Debates this weekend will be key for Sunak and Mordaunt. Sunak needs to show re-invention and his own ideas and ideals. Mordaunt needs to show her momentum can continue.

Truss could literally S**t in a bucket and the right would still back her.

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

If ever there was an insight into the direction of how she would lead the country, this would be it. And also how it has been run, for that matter... 

Looks totally lost, has no idea which way to go, chooses the wrong option first and has to be bailed out by someone else to get away with it. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If ever there was an insight into the direction of how she would lead the country, this would be it. And also how it has been run, for that matter... 

Looks totally lost, has no idea which way to go, chooses the wrong option first and has to be bailed out by someone else to get away with it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

Sunak needs to quit in the final three to keep Truss out.

Sunak will see Mordaunt as the biggest threat in the member vote, if it’s possible then I can see him and Truss working tactically to block out Mordaunt. 

29 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

They have TV hustings tomorrow and Sunday, so my guess is that the remaining 5 will stay in for those, hoping to make a big impression.

Unless Tugendhat is massively impressive at the hustings, though, he looks likely to be eliminated on Monday. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if whichever of Truss and Badenoch gets fewer votes on Monday drops out so as to have a united right-wing vote in the latter stages.

Looking at today's figures, it's by no means certain that Truss beats Badenoch on Monday. Truss is now only 15 votes ahead and there are Braverman's 27 votes to be redistributed.

Badenoch will not beat truss 

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Only one from the top 3 who might win a GE is Sunak.

It sounds silly but Sunak doesn’t have the stature to be leader. I genuinely don’t think folk will vote for a shorter man and any favour he curried economically will be worn away in the coming months into the winter. 

Mordaunt is the only one who can use the blank slate excuse and even then she has a job on her hands. 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

Sunak will see Mordaunt as the biggest threat in the member vote, if it’s possible then I can see him and Truss working tactically to block out Mordaunt. 

His ego will stop him doing the sensible thing which is to approach mordaunt and agree to back out for a cabinet position in return.  He also can’t do that because too many big hitting mp’s have backed him.  

he simply cannot win the membership vote 

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

His ego will stop him doing the sensible thing which is to approach mordaunt and agree to back out for a cabinet position in return.  He also can’t do that because too many big hitting mp’s have backed him.  

he simply cannot win the membership vote 

Agree 100% on both points, you know he’s been plotting this since the end of the pandemic and he won’t back down now, yet it’s down to Truss or Mordaunt who gets the other spot I imagine, and they’ll almost certainly be the next PM.

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Agree 100% on both points, you know he’s been plotting this since the end of the pandemic and he won’t back down now, yet it’s down to Truss or Mordaunt who gets the other spot I imagine, and they’ll almost certainly be the next PM.

I can’t see any way that sunak and mordaunt are the final two

Surely too many right wing mp’s for that to happen 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I can’t see any way that sunak and mordaunt are the final two

Surely too many right wing mp’s for that to happen 

Given that Mordaunt’s numbers aren’t TOO strong, I could see Truss asking some supporters to ‘go across the aisle’ as such and vote Sunak to make them the final two. Truss would know she has him beat in the members vote. 

11 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

But if he’s going to lose the membership vote anyway, vote to keep out the nutter. And get your job as chancellor back in Mordaunt’s government, knowing that you don’t have an eccentric crackpot next door.

But if he’s going to lose the membership vote anyway, vote to keep out the nutter. And get your job as chancellor back in Mordaunt’s government, knowing that you don’t have an eccentric crackpot next door.

As mentioned, I think his ego will get in the way. He’s been planning for this for too long.

Also, I don’t see Mordaunt giving me Chancellor.

• Haha 1

That was my point above but career politicians have egos the size of a small state …..

If it comes down to the last three being sunak, truss and mordaunt then Richi has a big call to make 

I think we need to see how the weekend goes - mordaunt needs to perform under pressure of questioning the like of which she hasn’t faced before 

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

As mentioned, I think his ego will get in the way. He’s been planning for this for too long.

Also, I don’t see Mordaunt giving me Chancellor.

Have you even tried though? Be honest.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That was my point above but career politicians have egos the size of a small state …..

If it comes down to the last three being sunak, truss and mordaunt then Richi has a big call to make 

I think we need to see how the weekend goes - mordaunt needs to perform under pressure of questioning the like of which she hasn’t faced before 

Can also be related to height, Sunak after all is a gigantic five foot five