Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Hmm I’m not sure to be honest it all depends on the development and the location. The location and site plan will dictate the house types plotted. Some locations are aimed at first time buyers where the houses will be smaller so that they can cram as many on. More exclusive sites will build larger house types. You can find out the square footage of any new build before buying anyway and compare with second hand homes. I was talking more from a quality side, NHBC check so many stages now and are so strict that it is rare that a new build is not of a high standard. The new part L changes come in to play soon too and these will only enhance the thermal performance and spec of new houses. 

The tendency to cram in too many might undo the overall quality I suspect. The need for infrastructure to support the development is crucial. Not expert by any means. Perhaps lesson could be learnt from the Garden City and New Towns?

8 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Hmm I’m not sure to be honest it all depends on the development and the location. The location and site plan will dictate the house types plotted. Some locations are aimed at first time buyers where the houses will be smaller so that they can cram as many on. More exclusive sites will build larger house types. You can find out the square footage of any new build before buying anyway and compare with second hand homes. I was talking more from a quality side, NHBC check so many stages now and are so strict that it is rare that a new build is not of a high standard. The new part L changes come in to play soon too and these will only enhance the thermal performance and spec of new houses. 

They are smaller as there wasn't any regulations on size but many local authorities are introducing them to prevent overly small houses being built.

They also have a habit of cramming in toilets, loads of 3 beds have 3 toilets now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

The tendency to cram in too many might undo the overall quality I suspect. The need for infrastructure to support the development is crucial. Not expert by any means. Perhaps lesson could be learnt from the Garden City and New Towns?

The developer pays 106 money to the local authority to improve the services for the new development.

What happens to this money afterwards isn't clear or documented.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

It’s a fact in terms of spec and standards. Obviously style and location and plot are subjective. 

Walls are always paper thin, poor quality plumbing, ridiculous 'townhouse' layouts with tiny gardens to cram as many homes into one space as possible. Plus so many are of the crushingly dull aesthetic I posted above.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

Walls are always paper thin, poor quality plumbing, ridiculous 'townhouse' layouts with tiny gardens to cram as many homes into one space as possible. Plus so many are of the crushingly dull aesthetic I posted above.

I completely disagree. The layouts and gardens ok I can understand that point, however no way on the walls and quality. They literally have certain cavity sizes they have to adhere to and SAP calculations need to be met which can’t be faked. I personally live in a 20 year old house, new builds are way better quality. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Walls are traditionally thin in the older houses, surely?! 

39 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I am with you!

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Walls are traditionally thin in the older houses, surely?! 

Depends how old we talking - if you are talking about 70s and 80s build, every chance it will be thin partitions but with poor insulation. Before that, likely to be thicker masonry (and possibly load bearing). 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Depends how old we talking - if you are talking about 70s and 80s build, every chance it will be thin partitions but with poor insulation. Before that, likely to be thicker masonry (and possibly load bearing). 

In my line of work I visit houses from 20s and 30s. Walls and ceilings are incredibly thin. If I'm weighing up those walls compared to the house I live in, built 8 yrs ago, I know which ones are thicker! 

51 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I completely disagree. The layouts and gardens ok I can understand that point, however no way on the walls and quality. They literally have certain cavity sizes they have to adhere to and SAP calculations need to be met which can’t be faked. I personally live in a 20 year old house, new builds are way better quality. 

Just to add onto this, internal walls in homes have to target sound insulation levels. They are literally designs in the Build Regs that must be followed (however this often means they don’t actually get tested). 

The increase in Approved Inspectors over Council employed BC surveyors has allowed standards to slip in my experience. Its also what they see at the time of sign off rather than actual control as Clerk of Works is a dying role. 

The actual NHBC standards for tolerances is a laughably small document but highlights how important following the B Regs are 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

In my line of work I visit houses from 20s and 30s. Walls and ceilings are incredibly thin. If I'm weighing up those walls compared to the house I live in, built 8 yrs ago, I know which ones are thicker! 

Will always be specific examples 

My house from 1930s has a interdividing wall which is a solid 150mm thick. Upstairs numerous walls are lath and plaster. 

I am sadly for my sins, a building surveyor by day 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My house is 1987 and yes thin partitions. 

23 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

That was a painful watch

Why do we need so much of this public crap when we can't even vote in a election for two years?

All these policies and ideologies and whatever and we can do **** all about it.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Why do we need so much of this public crap when we can't even vote in a election for two years?

Labour will be loving it all, all of them aside from Sunak are absolutely terrible communicators. The likes of Rayner, Lammy, Nandy and even charisma less Starmer would make whoever wins this look like the greedy fool they are. 

24 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yeah I’m not getting how we’ve had two debates on national television for something only a tiny fraction of general public decide 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah I’m not getting how we’ve had two debates on national television for something only a tiny fraction of general public decide 

It's appealing to 180k people. Whoever gets chosen will have time to implement (or not) their policies. Any damage could be done again.

• Like 1