Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

31 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Keir is so un-inspiring and seems to have zero policies, maybe he won't be as bad as Corbyn or Boris, but it's hardly something to look forward to. All he does is whine one about this and that and shows zero leadership qualities, unless i'm missing something

I think he is about a million times more statesmanlike than Johnson.   Has a career history built on being successful in his roles.  He has clearly led functions and departments successfully before. 

He absolutely does have a plan, he has started to lay this out in a number of press conferences and appearances recently.  I'm not sure they have been in the main stream media (make your own judgements as to why that might be) He has talked about Growth being his main agenda focus.  About Insulating homes to the right standard to help with Energy Bills Crisis (I notice some of the Tory candidaets are now pledging this too) 

I think a Centre Left Labour party is great for the UK.  I think Nandy, Rayner, Cooper etc are all talented politicians as well.  It's a solid front bench lineup. 

I also like that Starmer is consulting with past heavyweights.   Gordon Brown is supporting in Writing his financial policies.  Blunkett is helping on Education reform.   He has plans to devolve spending powers to cities and regions, super charge the green energy industry. 

I think his recent performances have been good. Have shown his human side and he has been happy to take any press questions and give a sensible answer. 

Compare that to Sunak who ended his leadership conference after the 2nd question when he was asked about his Wifes Tax Affairs. 

The biggest challenge for an opposition party, is that if you go TOO early with your policy agenda, the governing party can just steal them and then you don't have a point of difference in the debate, unless you to too far to the extremes (left or right) 

Edited by Greg2607
  • Like 1

Having to experience Trump, Bobo the clown and Morriscum... the left parties have made a definite plan to put a "boring/safe" alternatives forward..... Biden, Starmer and Abanese are unlikely to scare anyone with anything resembling extreme views or actions.

• Like 3

For those not familiar with it and have an interest in politics in the nuts and bolts/under the bonnet/what actually goes on in the corridors of power sort of way,  I cannot recommend Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart's podcast "The Rest is Politics" highly enough. 

It only started in March and I've gone back to the start,  it's well worth it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Leeds had a Labour council and education authority throughout the years she would have been at school.  

With ever decreasing budgets from the Tory government I suspect. Tory governments like to slash the money to councils then wipe their hands and blame said councils when cuts have to be made.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I think he is about a million times more statesmanlike than Johnson.   Has a career history built on being successful in his roles.  He has clearly led functions and departments successfully before. 

He absolutely does have a plan, he has started to lay this out in a number of press conferences and appearances recently.  I'm not sure they have been in the main stream media (make your own judgements as to why that might be) He has talked about Growth being his main agenda focus.  About Insulating homes to the right standard to help with Energy Bills Crisis (I notice some of the Tory candidaets are now pledging this too) 

I think a Centre Left Labour party is great for the UK.  I think Nandy, Rayner, Cooper etc are all talented politicians as well.  It's a solid front bench lineup. 

I also like that Starmer is consulting with past heavyweights.   Gordon Brown is supporting in Writing his financial policies.  Blunkett is helping on Education reform.   He has plans to devolve spending powers to cities and regions, super charge the green energy industry. 

I think his recent performances have been good. Have shown his human side and he has been happy to take any press questions and give a sensible answer. 

Compare that to Sunak who ended his leadership conference after the 2nd question when he was asked about his Wifes Tax Affairs. 

The biggest challenge for an opposition party, is that if you go TOO early with your policy agenda, the governing party can just steal them and then you don't have a point of difference in the debate, unless you to too far to the extremes (left or right) 

Yes like finally adopting the windfall tax that Labour proposed ages ago. Good job they did mind you. Good post btw

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Liz for Prime Minister?

Brilliant campaign slogan  🤮...

It really should have been ' In Truss we Trust ' surely?..

They missed a trick there!🤣

"Liz has the Fizz" (not!)?

"Truss up Liz and list her as lost trash"?

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Brown helping on his economic policies is a good thing? I really am missing something

7 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Brown helping on his economic policies is a good thing? I really am missing something

why wouldn't you seek out advice from people who have sat in the seat? I'm sure he doesn't think he got every single call right during his time in post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobHawk said:

I don't think he's been wholly effective as an opposition to the government, but it's a bit of a no win role especially when up against someone with zero morals or integrity.

However I think his leadership of the Labour party has been very strong. He dealt with the anti Semitism issue almost immediately. Put Corbyn back in his place and has handled the far left of the party pretty well. I would say his leadership has vastly strengthened the labour party. 

He also stood up and said he would quit if he were found guilty by Durham police. A bit of honesty and integrity, vital for a good leader and refreshing against what we've seen on the other side of the house.

He's certainly got 100 times better leadership qualities than Boris and enough mugs votes him in. 

Edit - Also, I've said this a million times but it isn't labours job to have policies. They can't do anything as opposition, the best they can try and do is steer the Tory policies. 

In the run up to the election is when they should have policies, not now. 

I'm not sure that Boris has many policies either, certainly not good ones that are actually working anyway.

This. It’s not easy to fight a populist government with policies, for the simple reason that you’re onto a loser however they go down. If people hate the policy, Labour get the grief for it. If people like the policy, the populist government takes the idea and repackages it as its own.

Their policies come in their manifesto, by which point the Conservatives wouldn’t have time to react.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Leeds had a Labour council and education authority throughout the years she would have been at school.  

If she thought that the educational failings were at a local level she could have gone into local politics.

17 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

If she thought that the educational failings were at a local level she could have gone into local politics.

She did.  She was a councillor for 4 years before she became an MP, and chair of her local conservative association before that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Funnily enough her local MP was Tory right up until recently - Roundhay is in the most affluent part of Leeds by some distance