Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

58 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Badenoch being supported by Britain First is hilarious.

Mind you, she is an ultra-right, climate change denying idiot - so I guess it fits. So far she has cried about Net Zero and then had to U-turn, mocked civil partnerships and same-sex marriage and is now, as a Black woman, giving the far right something to celebrate. Doing a grand job.

Hope she gets in, she will be a disaster at a GE.

I don't think it's that ironic. We've seen in recent years that a lot of prejudice in this country is towards white immigrants, Brexit was driven by it. I think it's quite logical that anti-immigrant groups like Britain first prefer Black Britons to white foreigners. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Is this right? 

I'm around the same age and there was no minimum wage for 16 year olds I was paid £2.01 an hour at a newsagents at 16, once I hit 18 I think there was a minimum of around £3.50

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Sorry wrong quote 

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'm around the same age and there was no minimum wage for 16 year olds I was paid £2.01 an hour at a newsagents at 16, once I hit 18 I think there was a minimum of around £3.50

Minimum wage introduced 1999 (Kemi was 19) but no minimum wage for 16 year olds until much later. Also true about how she wouldn't have been taxed a lot on her minimal wage at 16.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't think it's that ironic. We've seen in recent years that a lot of prejudice in this country is towards white immigrants, Brexit was driven by it. I think it's quite logical that anti-immigrant groups like Britain first prefer Black Britons to white foreigners. 

We too easy ‘lump in’ PoC with other minority demographics. Predominantly black communities have a poor relationship with LGBT rights and Asian communities can display some of the most conservative views possible. 

However I simply don’t see Doris and Norris going with a black female as their PM choice. Just about Rishi acceptable to them as he went a posh school and he’s a midget 

4 hours ago, Claridge said:

He was partly responsible for the crash with his arse licking of the banking sector, allowing them to do what they want. You seem to ignore the fact that when he became chancellor labour had a massive majority and over 250 more seats than the tories.They also had most of the seats in the north(Scotland). By the end of his reign they had lost the election and were obliterated in Scotland, meaning that it will be very difficult for labour to have a decent majority again. You can't blame all this on Brown, but he must take a massive share of the blame. If he was so good, why did the people abandon him their droves?

Your argument about him being the best post-war chancellor are laughable to the point of ridiculous, not even sure Brown would claim that

Not regulating the banking sector enough is one hindsight argument. However it's also worth noting that the Tory opposition at the time wanted further deregulation of the banking sector. 

I'm not well versed in Scottish politics (I hadn't assumed you meant Scotland when you said the north) however my understanding is labours struggles there tie in with the rise of the SNP and the call for independence. I would hazard guess there's alot more to it than just being let down by a labour government. 

People abondoned him as PM because he didn't have the charisma of Blair and the slick salesman nature of Cameron. That and the successful scaremongering relating to immigrants which later led to Brexit. Finally, the media and Tory party did a great job on blaming him for the financial crash, as daggers said earlier, people still say it now even though it's bollocks. It would be like blaming Covid on Boris because he should have prepared the country for a totally unforeseen global pandemic. Boris' reaction to the pandemic was atrocious but can't blame the pandemic itself on him. 

Edit - oh and name me a better post war chancellor with reasoning since the suggestion was so laughable. 

Edited by RobHawk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Not regulating the banking sector enough is one hindsight argument. However it's also worth noting that the Tory opposition at the time wanted further deregulation of the banking sector. 

I'm not well versed in Scottish politics (I hadn't assumed you meant Scotland when you said the north) however my understanding is labours struggles there tie in with the rise of the SNP and the call for independence. I would hazard guess there's alot more to it than just being let down by a labour government. 

People abondoned him as PM because he didn't have the charisma of Blair and the slick salesman nature of Cameron. That and the successful scaremongering relating to immigrants which later led to Brexit. Finally, the media and Tory party did a great job on blaming him for the financial crash, as daggers said earlier, people still say it now even though it's bollocks. It would be like blaming Covid on Boris because he should have prepared the country for a totally unforeseen global pandemic. Boris' reaction to the pandemic was atrocious but can't blame the pandemic itself on him. 

Edit - oh and name me a better post war chancellor with reasoning since the suggestion was so laughable. 

Roy Jenkins, Lawson and Clarke were a million miles better than Brown(he achieved nothing of note). Pompous Browns treatment of Northerners(Bigotgate) was an eye opener for people who had supported labour for generations

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Sorry wrong quote 

Minimum wage introduced 1999 (Kemi was 19) but no minimum wage for 16 year olds until much later. Also true about how she wouldn't have been taxed a lot on her minimal wage at 16.

Quite apart from Badenoch's dodgy memory, when she was 16 the Tories were actively opposing Labour's policy to introduce a minimum wage, arguing it would destroy jobs and businesses.

This was a couple of years after I'd been earning £2.50 to £3.00 per hour for P/T bar work.

It looks as if it was 2003 that Labour extended the minimum wage to 16-year-olds. Then in 2005, Cameron finally reversed Tory opposition to a minimum wage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LVocey said:

It does also mean Truss is still in...

Looks like a Truss/Sunak final 2 to me....how inspiring.

Yes, truss will take more of badenoch’s votes than mordaunt and you’d expect the Tory membership to choose truss over sunak …..gawd help us ……

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, LVocey said:

It does also mean Truss is still in...

Looks like a Truss/Sunak final 2 to me....how inspiring.

The worst possible nightmare!!....

Labour will love it though if Truss is PM.

.... absolute guarantees them power in 2024.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes, truss will take more of badenoch’s votes than mordaunt and you’d expect the Tory membership to choose truss over sunak …..gawd help us ……

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Indeed. 

There is a chance that a majority of badenoch’s support is of those who don’t want anyone from the previous cabinet. In that case, mordaunt would likely be the next PM.  It could be a little closer than I think