Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

God let’s hope it’s Sunak.  He is a dull, uninspiring Boris supporting rich man, with sod all experience outside finance, but at least he isn’t Liz Truss.

Also worth noting the Tories are about to appoint the UKs first ethnic minority PM or its third female PM.  Albeit both studied PPE at Oxford.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

That occurred to me - particularly after hearing Johnson's "mission largely accomplished - for now" and "hasta la vista" comments.

If the economy/society is as turbulent as looks likely over the next year or more, there is infighting and Truss (if she wins) is as disastrous a PM as I expect, could Johnson engineer a comeback?

In normal times it would seem impossible that the Tories would change leader yet again - and that someone as discredited as BJ could come back. But these aren't normal times - and if they were staring at likely defeat in 2024?

As you say in your other post, the British electorate forgets stuff pretty quickly. Already, Johnson is able to boast of his Covid management as a great success without getting laughed out of the house (and he's not only referring to vaccines).

A lot of stuff is going to come out about Johnson once he steps down. It’ll finish him. 

12 hours ago, grth2004 said:

What ever your views on Brexit surely everyone must agree this has been the aftermath of that vote. 
If I had a time machine I’d take Cameron forward in time to now and convince him to have a vote on something else. 

Agreed.

IIRC, he needed the dangling carrot of a Brexit referendum for self preservation and fear of losing seats and possibly power.

I say 'needed', it would have been completely unnecessary had he not put himself in that position in this first place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's a shame she's out now because this would have been a great policy

FXyNS39UEAAWaWS?format=jpg&name=medium

14 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

lol 

FYHqWn0XkAAf8xy?format=jpg&name=large

Is there a broader Tory policy to slim down the English language by eliminating prepositions and adverbs?

Could be a great idea if it leads to the "levelling of Stoke", rather than levelling up, and to Truss "hitting the ground", rather than hitting the ground running.

Mind you, it seems like either "Bereton" himself or the Mordaunt campaign cannot even spell the name of Jack Brereton, the Stoke MP. Understandable if it was Jack himself, though, as he only looks about 12, so is probably a victim of mismanagement of the education system by the Labour Party....

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Aren’t you supposed to ‘hit the ground running’ as opposed to ‘hitting the ground’ which sounds like your parachute didn’t open ……

Good job the Typhoon pilot carrying Boris didn't have the same motto

23 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

It's not only been a cluster fvck for the country, but in hindsight it's been a disaster for the Tories also. Cameron called the referendum in the hope that it would unite his party, but it's done exactly the opposite in quite spectacular fashion. 

They've been steadily distilling the more credible members of the party ever since: separating the chaff from the wheat and promoting it. 

Cameron runs as your bog-standard elitist Tory sleazeball, unexpectely loses the referendum = moderate remainers are siphoned off.

May runs as a remainer with more ambition than integrity but fails to get the vote through = any open non-brexiteers pushed out of government. 

De Pfeffel appointed PM, surrounds himself with sycophants and third-rate ministers to make himself look better = any MP with a scrap of integrity either resigns or loses the whip 

With Boris' abject failure, and subsequent resignation all that is left are the absolute cretins he pushed into power to choose from.

I always thought there was a lot wrong with the EU but the upheaval and negatives leaving were not worth it. Low and behold the number of usually Labour voters that lined up with those Tories on the opposite side of life was a spanner in the works that damaged Labour.

Do you remember when lots of people thought that Theresa May would be a really competent, confident PM, but when she got the gig she turned out to be really awkward and a bit weird?

I think they're trying to do the same thing but in reverse with Liz Truss

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Do you remember when lots of people thought that Theresa May would be a really competent, confident PM, but when she got the gig she turned out to be really awkward and a bit weird?

I think they're trying to do the same thing but in reverse with Liz Truss

It won’t work

i have it on good authority that she truly is as awkward and slow as we all think she is …….

Conspiracy theory warning:  Johnson’s supporters make sure that truss becomes pm.  as a result,  mid next year the tories are almost thirty points behind Labour in the polls with no hope.   There’s only one man who can turn this around before the next election …….

I think there could be something in this.

BoJo will have a loyal band of supporters like trump still does, thankfully we aren't quite so mental over here so it won't be so large but there will still be a hardcore element that will want him back at any opportunity.

I'm sure they said on the news yesterday that already over 2k Tory members have petitioned for him to be re-included in this vote and that's only going to increase if Truss somehow becomes PM.