Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Unlike Boris I think he might choose a cabinet based on ability rather than whether they agree with him 

I agree. I watched his interview with Andrew Marr and he actually came across as very competent on the economy (more so than Starmer has so far).

I worry that's where 99% of his focus is and he could be weak elsewhere - but would be interesting to see who he surrounds himself. In theory wouldn't need a strong Chancellor. Just one who can operate his ideas efficiently.

Pointless thoughts though - the conservatives will vote Truss in and the economy will nosedive even further.

My concern is he'd view the economy through his own prism and I feel that any chancellor needs to have a thorough understanding of what it means to be on average wage, with the worries that come with it. Doubt Sunak can do that. Though I do appreciate that he's said tax cuts don't automatically fix things. 

However, I would much prefer him over Truss. I've a few friends in civil service and, while none of them have worked with her directly, they're of the impression she is completely lacking in self awareness and can't talk for toffee. At the very least, you need to inspire confidence as a leader and Sunak does that - to varying degrees, depending on your situation.

• Like 1

Sunak understands that if he wins it is his only chance at being PM and losing a GE will be the end of his time as leader. He would probably create the most competent cabinet possible, rather than the usual band of sycophants and lackeys because he will know he can't afford any slip ups. Truss will probably make Dorries chancellor of the Exchequer and even find a place in her cabinet for Boris.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is this personal experience talking? It’s exactly my impression of her.  The phrase thick as mince keeps coming to mind,  Sunak is like hundreds of finance industry types I’ve met but at least knows what he knows and is likely to put other smart people in his cabinet.

I’ve recently spoken to someone who is a friend of a friend ….. which ends up somewhere I cannot say.   The point being that those v close to her have little respect for her capabilities…….it’s a gravy train. 

In the last 48 hours of planet Tory 

- Truss says the last twenty years of financial strategy have not worked. Her party have been in control for twelve years of those. 
- Sunak tells the Times we are heading for a national emergency. He’s been in the cabinet for the last three years. 
- Whilst the clown de Pfeffel is going around telling people he will back PM within a year and there is genuinely a grassroots campaign amongst members trying to reinstate him 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

There's always been a border with France. 

There has, but passports didn't need to be checked quite as stringently prior to Brexit when UK passport holders had freedom of movement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Otis said:

There's always been a border and passport control with France. 

Whenever I went into the EU (not including Ireland) before it took about 3 seconds to scan my passport and hand it back. As it did all the people in front of me.

Now when I go into the EU (not including Ireland), it can take a couple of minutes to ask me why I’m there, if I’m visiting anyone, if so who, where I’m staying, then checking every stamp in my passport, question any stamps from non-Western countries etc. Plus you can easily get stuck behind people in the non-EU queue who take several minutes because they have loads of stamps or visas in their passport or they’re  from countries which require extra vetting than a UK passport does.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Otis said:

There's always been a border and passport control with France. 

Yes this is perfectly normal and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit that's why it happened every year before 2016 :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Yes this is perfectly normal and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit that's why it happened every year before 2016 :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

There has, but passports didn't need to be checked quite as stringently prior to Brexit when UK passport holders had freedom of movement. 

Oh I suspect it has everything to do with Brexit and the French playing silly buggers.

It's amazing how stringently they can police their borders when it suits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Oh I suspect it has everything to do with Brexit and the French playing silly buggers.

It's amazing how stringently they can police their borders when it suits. 

It has nothing to do with it changing because 'it suits', it's because the rules have changed now the UK has left the EU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think they should reverse Brexit, but - wait for it - keep it really quiet,  just let things go back to how they were before without any announcements or anything, and if anybody asks just say that Brexit is going really, really well and thank goodness we got it done. 

Yours,  Lynton Crosby x

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It has nothing to do with it changing because 'it suits', it's because the rules have changed now the UK has left the EU.

I was thinking more of their turning a blind eye to the migrant dinghy crossings.