Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Oh I suspect it has everything to do with Brexit and the French playing silly buggers.

It's amazing how stringently they can police their borders when it suits. 

And there was I thinking that "taking back control",  meant that the UK would, after Brexit, take control of policing people coming into the country,  I must have been wrong,  we expected to be able to rely on the French to do it for us.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

It has nothing to do with it changing because 'it suits', it's because the rules have changed now the UK has left the EU.

Not so sure about that. I can assure you when you fly into Portugal, Faro. it’s the same as it always was. 

18 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Not so sure about that. I can assure you when you fly into Portugal, Faro. it’s the same as it always was. 

You're right this would be exactly the same if we hadn't left the EU and your flight to Faro is the only proof we need that Brexit is wonderful and the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

No it's not, we go to Faro all the time as my wife's Portuguese and it's really bad sometimes. The Portugese (just like the French) like to make it hell getting through for British tourists, because of the post-brexit anglophobia that is now pervasive around Europe. They'll happily only have a couple border guards slooooowly checking passports.

Believe me this is a deliberate thing.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

You're right this would be exactly the same if we hadn't left the EU and your flight to Faro is the only proof we need that Brexit is wonderful and the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys.

All I’m saying is that when I visited Faro 3 weeks ago our flight encountered no delays at immigration whatsoever. Eindoven 2 weeks ago however was an absolute nightmare. That however was apparently down to Dutch staff shortages. You seem to have a tendency to blame everything on Brexit. 

5 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

No it's not, we go to Faro all the time as my wife's Portuguese and it's really bad sometimes. The Portugese (just like the French) like to make it hell getting through for British tourists, because of the post-brexit anglophobia that is now pervasive around Europe. They'll happily only have a couple border guards slooooowly checking passports.

Believe me this is a deliberate thing.

I was lucky then! But it kind of proves it’s not always down to protocols, and more likely as you say, anglophobia. 

12 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

All I’m saying is that when I visited Faro 3 weeks ago our flight encountered no delays at immigration whatsoever. Eindoven 2 weeks ago however was an absolute nightmare. That however was apparently down to Dutch staff shortages. You seem to have a tendency to blame everything on Brexit. 

The difference of course with these airports is that Uk citizens entering those countries are a relative small proportion of non EU entrants',  so the increase in staffing required post Brexit was minimal.  That is clearly not the same for Dover or other UK ports.

Those airports are also relatively small and much will then depend on how many flights from non EU countries have arrived recently.

Edited by Robo61
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I was lucky then! But it kind of proves it’s not always down to protocols, and more likely as you say, anglophobia. 

Since Brexit we found passport control to be quicker as the non EU queues were shorter. It was certainly no issue until recent months, I've only been to norway and Hungary since COVID and it was easy as always.

The stuff we are seeing now is very post COVID, though it could be linked to fishing and northern Ireland for all we know.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If your passports were being stamped in Faro pre Brexit as they should be now I'd be incredibly surprised. 

• Like 1

Traffic at the Port of Dover is once again “flowing normally” after days of lengthy queues created travel chaos for holidaymakers.

Extra post-Brexit border checks and French authorities’ understaffing of checkpoints in Dover have been blamed for the hold-ups.

However, the port said on Twitter that as of 2.15am on Sunday the system brought in temporarily to manage excess traffic in the area had ended and traffic can proceed directly to the port.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

Traffic at the Port of Dover is once again “flowing normally” after days of lengthy queues created travel chaos for holidaymakers.

Extra post-Brexit border checks and French authorities’ understaffing of checkpoints in Dover have been blamed for the hold-ups.

However, the port said on Twitter that as of 2.15am on Sunday the system brought in temporarily to manage excess traffic in the area had ended and traffic can proceed directly to the port.

Phew all is good with post Brexit Britain again...

Screenshot_20220724-101931.thumb.png.757874df16e5e4d1553c84b2ede4e827.png

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Phew all is good with post Brexit Britain again...

Screenshot_20220724-101931.thumb.png.757874df16e5e4d1553c84b2ede4e827.png

Either the trains aren't full or someone has sold more places than can be accommodated.

If the border checks were slowing the flow of traffic onto the trains but the trains left on time then they would be part filled which hasn't been reported and seems unlikely.

48 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Genuine question. Why are you so determined to believe that this is not Brexit related despite all the evidence? Some random guy on Twitter is more believable to you than the BBC news?

Firstly I’m not. Of course Brexit has caused problems. But I truly believe there is no will on the part of some to make it work. It clearly can work as evidenced by my recent visit to Faro, yes my passport was stamped but on that occasion the process took no longer than passing through immigration has ever done. And yet on other occasions as z-layrex said, they can be obstructive. These problems are not just down to Brexit, that’s my belief anyway. Wouldn’t exactly say Tice is just some random guy either. 

21 minutes ago, Strokes said:

There is a major benefit to all this, and the climate changes. Holidays in Britain have never been so appealing, pounds in the pockets.

I went on a cruise in may and am going on another in October, both from Southampton.

Despite Brexit the whole process of arriving to getting to our room took 45 minutes.

I would like to take this chance to congratulate the port of Southampton for finding solutions to the insurmountable problems caused by Brexit.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

I went on a cruise in may and am going on another in October, both from Southampton.

Despite Brexit the whole process of arriving to getting to our room took 45 minutes.

I would like to take this chance to congratulate the port of Southampton for finding solutions to the insurmountable problems caused by Brexit.

Can’t see the relevance 

there are no issues with emigration checks out of the U.K. 

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Firstly I’m not. Of course Brexit has caused problems. But I truly believe there is no will on the part of some to make it work. It clearly can work as evidenced by my recent visit to Faro, yes my passport was stamped but on that occasion the process took no longer than passing through immigration has ever done. And yet on other occasions as z-layrex said, they can be obstructive. These problems are not just down to Brexit, that’s my belief anyway. Wouldn’t exactly say Tice is just some random guy either. 

I suspect that some European ports and airports are not spending additional sums of money to cope with our decision to leave the EU 

trying to influence U.K. opinion at a time where there are disagreements between the eu and U.K. shouldn’t be a shock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

I’ve had 2 holidays this year, one in Mexico from Gatwick. No issues going out, delayed flight on the way back, not sure why.

I’m in Greece now, TUI holiday. Check in at Birmingham was a bit chaotic but it was down to these self scales they were using. They could only seem to scan 50-60% of tickets. Still only took 1 hour to check in, security was fine.

If I hated it and it was an issue, I’d just pick another destination or airport to fly from or holiday in the UK next year. It was fine fortunately.

South wales is gorgeous and one of the best holidays we’ve ever had.

Stop moaning and adapt is my advice.

I just won’t use Dover until it’s sorted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve had 2 holidays this year, one in Mexico from Gatwick. No issues going out, delayed flight on the way back, not sure why.

I’m in Greece now, TUI holiday. Check in at Birmingham was a bit chaotic but it was down to these self scales they were using. They could only seem to scan 50-60% of tickets. Still only took 1 hour to check in, security was fine.

If I hated it and it was an issue, I’d just pick another destination or airport to fly from or holiday in the UK next year. It was fine fortunately.

South wales is gorgeous and one of the best holidays we’ve ever had.

Stop moaning and adapt is my advice.

I just won’t use Dover until it’s sorted.

UK doesn’t have exit controls. Again, this has nothing to do with Schengen entry controls.

51 minutes ago, Strokes said:

There is a major benefit to all this, and the climate changes. Holidays in Britain have never been so appealing, pounds in the pockets.

Climate change yes but given how cheap package holidays are and how expensive British tourist resorts are I reckon the cost difference is negligible. Although I suppose the cheap packages only cover so many destinations.