Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Following on from @st albans foxabove, I think it is a point worth considering; the relationship between the UK and the EU is strained at the moment. There's maybe limited desire within the EU to help out the UK with the Dover situation. Further, it's a short term situation that will be resolved. No need for urgency, and certainly no need to go above and beyond for a nation (i.e. the UK) that is seemingly unwilling to reciprocate. What was the phrase? Cake and eat it?

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

Following on from @st albans foxabove, I think it is a point worth considering; the relationship between the UK and the EU is strained at the moment. There's maybe limited desire within the EU to help out the UK with the Dover situation. Further, it's a short term situation that will be resolved. No need for urgency, and certainly no need to go above and beyond for a nation (i.e. the UK) that is seemingly unwilling to reciprocate. What was the phrase? Cake and eat it?

Some people asked me before the vote what would happen 

I did not advise them either way - just pointed out that maybe now wasn’t the best time to be chucking all the balls in the air and seeing where they would land (and 2016 seems like a panacea now!).  That it would take quite some time for a lot of benefits of brexit to come through but that i couldn’t say either way which was the best way to vote for twenty years down the line. 

one thing I did say was that if we voted to leave then our future over the next decade lay in the hands of the EU and how nice they would be about us leaving.   Taking an aggressive negotiating line has indeed got the vast majority of brexit done (but the main issue of NI isn’t) but at what cost ???

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Nadine is common as fook ……. Liz wouldn’t understand what it means …… 

That Nadine is trying to make Truss appeal as the worker class candidate because she wears cheap earrings is so ridiculous and childish. Next it will be show them your Primark labels.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foxdiamond said:

That Nadine is trying to make Truss appeal as the worker class candidate because she wears cheap earrings is so ridiculous and childish. Next it will be show them your Primark labels.

Thing is, the electorate are middle class white men living in s england.   They couldn’t care less! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Thing is, the electorate are middle class white men living in s england.   They couldn’t care less! 

True,  but don't you think campaigning for the next election hasn't already started.  In fact I would say that is all the Tories ever do now,  its all about the power for them these days and not the good/bad they can do  ith it.

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Seems like Truss is fairly popular with the electorate which I have absolutely no idea why, can anyone help?

Don't think she's popular with the electorate, maybe with the membership

• Like 1

To change the subject slightly, I saw an episode of Have I Got News for You recently and was disappointed how poor it was.

I always used to really like it and still think a lot of Hislop or Merton, but it felt a little like they just pull things from Twitter these days. I’m just not sure if it’s a concept that is outdated and been usurped by the internet or whether that kind of satire is kind of dead in modern popularist politics, where people like Trump and Johnson only seem to play up to and get more support from any lampooning.”

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

To change the subject slightly, I saw an episode of Have I Got News for You recently and was disappointed how poor it was.

I always used to really like it and still think a lot of Hislop or Merton, but it felt a little like they just pull things from Twitter these days. I’m just not sure if it’s a concept that is outdated and been usurped by the internet or whether that kind of satire is kind of dead in modern popularist politics, where people like Trump and Johnson only seem to play up to and get more support from any lampooning.”

It’s been bad for a long time now. It’s been angry rather than funny ever since the Brexit referendum, and Boris getting in only exacerbated that.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Sampson said:

Mate, I can 100% guarantee that if this had been the other way round and it was France who left the EU, then you categorically  would not be saying “why are we not investing tens of millions on increasing border controls in Calais and hiring more border staff to help French tourists in quicker on ferries and the Eurostar? Now that they need more and longer checks based on a French political decision.”

The political position is the UK’s not France’s. French border controls are just following EU law that has always existed and that UK border forces previously followed, based on a political decision made by the UK and based on a withdrawal agreement signed between the UK and the EU. 

It is the height of arrogance to demand that France should pour extra millions its funding into border staff because of a political decision the UK made and a withdrawal agreement the UK drew up and signed, which now means French border staff have to do much more checks on UK citizens and their goods more, based on pre-existing laws the UK not only was fully aware of when they made this political decision, but ones which the UK actively previously signed and helped draw up. And not only that but then to try and claim it’s France’s fault and it’s them who are the ones playing politics for not pumping millions into increasing border force.

Reading that the French were only manning half the security booths at Dover, there's no arrogance to request that they fully man the booths during a summer/holiday period, this they have control over & have chosen to not fully man adding / cause to the delays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Reading that the French were only manning half the security booths at Dover, there's no arrogance to request that they fully man the booths during a summer/holiday period, this they have control over & have chosen to not fully man adding / cause to the delays.

Maybe they have employee shortages... unlike the UK of course!!

26 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

It is arrogance if it's your fault they need to be fully manned in the first place.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Again reads like Manchester or Heathrow Airport tbh 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wealth shaming is a thing now apparently. 

Wealth shaming has always been a thing.  Ask anyone who’s done well for themselves if they’ve ever been made to feel guilty by less well off friends and acquaintances for being able to afford nice things.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wealth shaming is a thing now apparently. 

Well, I guess they have to find another angle to play the victim now that the "envy" one doesn't hold as much water (too much realisation that it's not envy if you don't want to take their place, which a lot of people who want them accountable don't).

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Wealth shaming has always been a thing.  Ask anyone who’s done well for themselves if they’ve ever been made to feel guilty by less well off friends and acquaintances for being able to afford nice things.

Well, if societal judgement really causes that much anguish to such people then perhaps they might consider booking appointments with a professional to give a bit of help, then. It's not like they couldn't afford the hourly rate, is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2