Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Reading that the French were only manning half the security booths at Dover, there's no arrogance to request that they fully man the booths during a summer/holiday period, this they have control over & have chosen to not fully man adding / cause to the delays.

It's not arrogant to request it and from what I have read it was raised in advance that the ports would be extremely busy on these days. The arrogance comes from just expecting the request to be fulfilled and blaming the French.

28 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wealth shaming is a thing now apparently. 

The right for the last decade has spent a lot of effort on talking about 'identity politics' and political correctness on the left, but recently they seem to have collapsed into a total mess of manufactured outrage, nitpicking and petty criticisms that even the far left would find cringey. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Gbeebies actually breaking worthwhile news for a change...

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.47.07.png

Liz will be apoplectic that JRM isnt using british champagne .......

44 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wealth shaming is a thing now apparently. 

that tweet makes no sense - 'nadine dorries THINKS' ...........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

It is arrogance if it's your fault they need to be fully manned in the first place.

its a 'French' manned border it is down to them to manage the flow regardless of circumstance, would they have all booths open pre-brexit but with no-one on them allowing cars just to pass through or would there be someone in every booth to wave cars through & do ad-hoc checks?
I would suggest the latter & especially during the peak periods & whilst it's not the sole cause it is a cause as they are not currently running 'their' border lines efficiently.

Edited by BKLFox

Have you seen the queues on French motorways on the first and last days of summer hols? Every year. Always the same. It's just what you do.  I reckon it must be part of the holiday experience; take some food, plenty of water and just sit it out.

21 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

its a 'French' manned border it is down to them to manage the flow regardless of circumstance, would they have all booths open pre-brexit but with no-one on them allowing cars just to pass through or would there be someone in every booth to wave cars through & do ad-hoc checks?
I would suggest the later & especially during the peak periods & whilst it's not the sole cause it is a cause as they are not currently running 'their' border lines efficiently.

I struggle to recall what it was like pre-Brexit as I've never had any bother at the ports and so didn't really consider what was going on around me. Just one of the advantages I took for granted pre-Brexit, I guess...

The point is, if the UK has made a political decision that means it's more difficult for our own citizens to get into other countries then it's not exactly rocket science that we've end up in this position, is it? It's not for us to tell the French how to police their borders when we're the ones who decided that's what we wanted to happen.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I would suggest the latter & especially during the peak periods & whilst it's not the sole cause it is a cause as they are not currently running 'their' border lines efficiently.

So how are the UK getting on fully staffing their airports.  Pots and Kettles me thinks. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

My experience of euro tunnel was that there was never all booths manned - just wasn’t necessary 

15 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

So how are the UK getting on fully staffing their airports.  Pots and Kettles me thinks. 

but as we keep getting told we are struggling because we left the EU, France have not so should have the same resource or are we saying they couldn't man their border prior to us leaving either?

Listen i get brexit plays its part as each passport is checked but you can bet your life this is a play, we are talking 12 booths not 45, 55 or even 25 but they are operating with 6 during a peak period & i'm sure they are milking the checks as computers do the hard yards for them, they simply need to check the photo to a face & then scan the passport, no different to an airport Q.

Edited by BKLFox

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"We" didn't make it, though, did we?

I'm taking no fvcking share of the blame. Vast majority of my generation voted to absolutely sack that shit right off. I'd genuinely be interested to know the exact year, the exact moment, that the last coffin dodging Brexiteer dies to tip us over the point where those left living have a majority remain count. That'd be fascinating you know. Wouldn't surprise if it's taken so long to actually GeT bReXiT dOnE that we're already there. Someone must have written articles about this already, surely?

Many polls over recent months suggest that point was reached some time ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

The point is without Brexit,  these problems wouldn't exist. We chose to leave the EU and the single market,  we have to own the consequences now. 

Correct...It's not the fault of the French...it's the Brexit oven ready Turkey 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Listen i get brexit plays its part as each passport is checked but you can bet your life this is a play, we are talking 12 booths not 45, 55 or even 25 but they are operating with 6 during a peak period & i'm sure they are milking the checks as computers do the hard yards for them, they simply need to check the photo to a face & then scan the passport, no different to an airport Q.

that's not what happens now. of course france could choose not to bother checking if the passport owner has spent more than their allowed time in the EU in the past twelve months (which is what takes the additional time flicking through every page in the passport looking for EU entry stamps), but its clear that on saturday morning they weren't. and the airport q checks take place in the destination airport, not the uk. 

should they have had all booths open on saturday morning ? yes of course they should.   to say that its nothing to do with brexit is plain nonsense. without brexit these checks wouldnt be necessary.  do we know all the details about what has gone on between uk and french govts re dover/calais ?  no we dont. will we ever find out ?  nope.

7 minutes ago, Eurofox said:

In the good ole days of Burgundy passports we could travel freely,study,reside and work anywhere in 27 other European countries.We also had a fair share of EU nurses and doctors which really helped our NHS.We did not pay roaming charges and we had frictionless trade with the largest free market in the world.There were no Ireland/ NI problems and Scottish independence was on the back burner.The pound was stronger when we were in the EU and inflation lower.And now, no one is able to give one clear tangible benefit of Brexit.

not true - JRM said we have less speed limit signs now ........

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Eurofox said:

Brexit really is the biggest mistake we'll ever make...

£56 Billion & counting 

FFS

IMG-20220725-WA0002.jpg

I have said it occasionally in the past and got ripped a new one, but will say it again.

We have taken back control!!!  

Of the fact that every time we leave now we have to be stamped, didn't think I'd say it but lucky my mam is Irish, the passport application is over there now with Paddy & Moiphy.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

that's not what happens now. of course france could choose not to bother checking if the passport owner has spent more than their allowed time in the EU in the past twelve months (which is what takes the additional time flicking through every page in the passport looking for EU entry stamps), but its clear that on saturday morning they weren't. and the airport q checks take place in the destination airport, not the uk. 

should they have had all booths open on saturday morning ? yes of course they should.   to say that its nothing to do with brexit is plain nonsense. without brexit these checks wouldnt be necessary.  do we know all the details about what has gone on between uk and french govts re dover/calais ?  no we dont. will we ever find out ?  nope.

According to my Dopey brother in law the 'just waving' of passports pre Brexit, was the main reason for illegal immigration!!... 

So he welcomes the stringent new checking of passports at the border!