Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Or completely unaware that anyone is saying anything wrong.

Yep. What is it they say? 'Part of the problem'. And I genuinely mean no disrespect to anyone in saying that, least of all kenny. We're all mea culpa to some extent. 

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

Yep. What is it they say? 'Part of the problem'. And I genuinely mean no disrespect to anyone in saying that, least of all kenny. We're all mea culpa to some extent. 

Perhaps they are correct and I am out of date and ignorant.

I don't think so though.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

I think this is a bit harsh, I’d say it’s about 50/50 in my circle although those who are broadly anti-racist, it’s probably because they’ve learnt it from their kids. 

Perhaps I've lead a sheltered life. The friends and colleagues and family members in my circle treat people as they find them whatever their background, sex, colour and so on. I always think anyone who has harmed or upset me was from same background as me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Its a huge problem

the general population over the age of 45 is broadly racist, misogynistic and homophobic at worst and ‘accepting’ of these traits in colleagues/family/friends at best.

if you think this doesn’t apply to you then look back through your WhatsApp messages and see how often you challenged some of the inappropriate posts in there (I’m guilty btw) 

any large organisation is going to be representative of this 

breaking up the met into a lot of smaller forces will create more problems than it solves. We need local commanders across the capital who are beacons of morality etc and will effect change in those that serve the public. 

don’t hold your breath ……

If anyone displayed any of the behaviours or attitudes at my old firm they would have been dismissed pronto. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Why are the MET left leaning. They always seem to police right wing protests  much more vigorously than the likes of Stop oil, XR &co.  

I think the miners of 84 would be surprised. Not defending bad police but not a job I would fancy

7 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I think the miners of 84 would be surprised. Not defending bad police but not a job I would fancy

Times have changed. I remember seeing videos of the anti vax lot being robustly policed including many arrests. But sit on the North circular or M25 and they were offering cups of tea. I hope the new Commissioner sorts them out and gets back to proper fair unbiased policing.

13 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

The police can't do right for doing wrong. As soon as an officer makes a mistake they are dragged through the public domain without support. Then the public moans that the quality of the officers isn't what it was.

Its an awful job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Why are the MET left leaning. They always seem to police right wing protests  much more vigorously than the likes of Stop oil, XR &co.  

I'm interested to hear how possibly the most Establishment, serving-the-status-quo organisation in existence (outside the Marylebone Cricket Club) could somehow be interpreted as being left wing tbh.

48 minutes ago, kenny said:

The police can't do right for doing wrong. As soon as an officer makes a mistake they are dragged through the public domain without support. Then the public moans that the quality of the officers isn't what it was.

Its an awful job.

It's a difficult circle to square. How do you make the job attractive (because it does need to be done) while at the same time holding the bad ones accountable, as they most certainly need to be?

Times have changed. I remember seeing videos of the anti vax lot being robustly policed including many arrests. But sit on the North circular or M25 and they were offering cups of tea. I hope the new Commissioner sorts them out and gets back to proper fair unbiased policing.

Have you got any evidence they're biased? Or is it just your own preconception?

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Have you got any evidence they're biased? Or is it just your own preconception?

Not just mine. It’s all there to see on sites such as YouTube. They were always light touch with the environmental protesters especially. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Surely if the Met were left wing, then they would have favoured the anti-vax marches, due to the fact that a lot of the Conservative Party and their members or their business associates/friends were making money from the vaccine rollout? 

It's almost, almost as if your preconception on the left/right leaning of an entity relies entirely on your political standpoint.

I wonder what Fazzer's view of the BBC is? Is that left wing too? I bet he thinks it is

• Like 4

What an appalling example, and what precisely do you mean by the anti-vax lot? What a massive generalisation. Of course the BBC is more likely to give emphasis to violent and unlawful protest but that is not to say that it hasn't covered peaceful demonstrations too. You have those that are vaccine hesitant and justifiably opposed to the notion of mandated vaccination at the opposite end of the spectrum, there are radical conspiracy theorists and believers that have physically threatened teachers, clinicians, medics and politicians and incited riots and civil disturbances. 

True, you have to be a complete fool to subscribe to QAnon, but not all chose to storm capitol. Understandably, much of the coverage focussed upon those that did, but there has nonetheless been plenty of features and articles in the press concerning the belief in such nonsense. The same with the anti-vaccination movement which spans a very broad spectrum. 

• Like 4

On 26/07/2022 at 09:23, leicsmac said:

.... evidently my sarcasm went below the radar  on this one. Apologies for that.

So, I needn't have responded? I thought there was enough meat left on the bone, notwithstanding the flippancy, to warrant a response. But I'll ignore you in future. 

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

So, I needn't have responded? I thought there was enough meat left on the bone, notwithstanding the flippancy, to warrant a response. But I'll ignore you in future. 

Not at all. Your points were entirely pertinent.

I was just making a point about being increasingly tired with climate do-nothings and their thin veneer of justifications for it. Apologies again if my reply appeared overly confrontational.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

It's almost, almost as if your preconception on the left/right leaning of an entity relies entirely on your political standpoint.

I wonder what Fazzer's view of the BBC is? Is that left wing too? I bet he thinks it is

I like the BBC, I think they have their faults and are sometimes accused of bias toward both left and right depending on your standpoint. Personally I feel they’re a bit left-leaning. But they do make excellent drama’s, documentaries and although their sports coverage is diminished these days, what they do cover is generally excellent, Wimbledon and snooker to name but 2. 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

What an appalling example, and what precisely do you mean by the anti-vax lot? What a massive generalisation. Of course the BBC is more likely to give emphasis to violent and unlawful protest but that is not to say that it hasn't covered peaceful demonstrations too. You have those that are vaccine hesitant and justifiably opposed to the notion of mandated vaccination at the opposite end of the spectrum, there are radical conspiracy theorists and believers that have physically threatened teachers, clinicians, medics and politicians and incited riots and civil disturbances. 

True, you have to be a complete fool to subscribe to QAnon, but not all chose to storm capitol. Understandably, much of the coverage focussed upon those that did, but there has nonetheless been plenty of features and articles in the press concerning the belief in such nonsense. The same with the anti-vaccination movement which spans a very broad spectrum. 

Sorry, I just used anti vax as a generalisation, I was of course referring to the so called freedom marches, anti lockdown and vax passports which took place throughout the covid period, mainly in London, and despite attracting 10’s of thousands of people marching were rarely covered on the BBC main news programs. There is however plenty of footage on social media of heavy handed policing on such events. 

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Sorry, I just used anti vax as a generalisation, I was of course referring to the so called freedom marches, anti lockdown and vax passports which took place throughout the covid period, mainly in London, and despite attracting 10’s of thousands of people marching were rarely covered on the BBC main news programs. There is however plenty of footage on social media of heavy handed policing on such events. 

That's simply not true though. There was extensive coverage of these demonstrations on the BBC, from all angles. And where was the plenty of footage on social media of fair and measured policing of these events? It works both ways. You can't accuse the BBC of favouring bias whilst attempting to suggest that social media is balanced and objective lol

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Not at all. Your points were entirely pertinent.

I was just making a point about being increasingly tired with climate do-nothings and their thin veneer of justifications for it. Apologies again if my reply appeared overly confrontational.

No need for an apology. I instinctively set out to give as good, or better, than I get. Not my best characteristic but I tend to bite before I'm bitten.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Perhaps I've lead a sheltered life. The friends and colleagues and family members in my circle treat people as they find them whatever their background, sex, colour and so on. I always think anyone who has harmed or upset me was from same background as me. 

I have exactly the same experience and most of my friends are in the over-45 category.  I'd go further - St Albans, I find your baseless assertion very upsetting and it smacks off a desire to sound superior.

Edited by deep blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1