Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

9 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

What makes you say Starmer is right wing? 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Yeah I don’t agree with that at all. Moving into the vacant centre ground is absolutely the right thing to do to win the next election. None of their so far proposed policies are particularly right wing, especially the VAT on private school fees which we discussed on here but seemed to fly under the radar in the mainstream. That’s a left wing economic policy. 

Starmer is far from right wing but he is right wing when compared to his party membership. but so was Blair. Which Labour party leader led a decade of govt over the past fifty years??  It wasn’t corbyn btw …….

the tories are currently committing political suicide …… Labour need to hold their nerve …..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Starmer is far from right wing but he is right wing when compared to his party membership. but so was Blair. Which Labour party leader led a decade of govt over the past fifty years??  It wasn’t corbyn btw …….

the tories are currently committing political suicide …… Labour need to hold their nerve …..

From the polls of the last couple of days, his decisions over the past week have been vindicated. The left (of which I feel I’m policy wise part of but not emotionally) kicking and screaming may only embolden his position with the general electorate. 

12 minutes ago, Lionator said:

From the polls of the last couple of days, his decisions over the past week have been vindicated. The left (of which I feel I’m policy wise part of but not emotionally) kicking and screaming may only embolden his position with the general electorate. 

Have to be careful 

the tories could go with a policy ‘vote starmer , get raynor’ if he’s overtly unpopular within the party. 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Have to be careful 

the tories could go with a policy ‘vote starmer , get raynor’ if he’s overtly unpopular within the party. 

That’s what will happen. The far left are still there, the likes of Burgon, Nandy, long Bailey, Streeting, Abbot, lammy et al. Just waiting for the right moment to launch an offensive to oust Starmer. Add to that the agitating from the likes of little Owen & Sarkar. The beneficiaries of course will be the Lib Dems. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Dorries is vile. Not new news but she doesn't help herself if changing her image with her actions. 

She's so dopey. Everyone can see how much in love with Bojo she is. I wonder how Carrie views her infatuation with her husband!.

15 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

That’s what will happen. The far left are still there, the likes of Burgon, Nandy, long Bailey, Streeting, Abbot, lammy et al. Just waiting for the right moment to launch an offensive to oust Starmer. Add to that the agitating from the likes of little Owen & Sarkar. The beneficiaries of course will be the Lib Dems. 

What the F are you on about, in no universe can Streeting, Nandy and Lammy be desribed as far left.  Nandy left cabinet to head up Own Smith's challenge to Corbyn.  Finding critism of Corbyn from Streeting, before during and after his leadership is really not difficult,  try using Google.  Lammy supported Starmer in his bid for the Leadership of the Labour Party,  although he did previously support Corbyn who was a close personal friend.

If Labour were to win the next GE then they would have circa 100 new MP's very few of who would  come from the left of the party as Starmer will ensure only sensible looking candidates will be nominated by local Ccnstituency parties,  leaving Burgon, Long-Bailey, Abbott  etc isolated. 

23 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

She's so dopey. Everyone can see how much in love with Bojo she is. I wonder how Carrie views her infatuation with her husband!.

Carrie?

she’s too busy sorting out his book deals etc so she can build up his dosh and then divorce him ! 

23 minutes ago, Lionator said:

lol mate if you think Nandy, Streeting and Lammy are far left then you are absolutely deluded. 

3 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

What the F are you on about, in no universe can Streeting, Nandy and Lammy be desribed as far left.  Nandy left cabinet to head up Own Smith's challenge to Corbyn.  Finding critism of Corbyn from Streeting, before during and after his leadership is really not difficult,  try using Google.  Lammy supported Starmer in his bid for the Leadership of the Labour Party,  although he did previously support Corbyn who was a close personal friend.

If Labour were to win the next GE then they would have circa 100 new MP's very few of who would  come from the left of the party as Starmer will ensure only sensible looking candidates will be nominated by local Ccnstituency parties,  leaving Burgon, Long-Bailey, Abbott  etc isolated. 

Saved me posting it 

but whatever the truth, it wont stop the tories using it as strap line in 2024.  it’s not like it hasn’t been done before ….. the Labour rank and file have to get behind starmer or they won’t form the next govt 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Saved me posting it 

but whatever the truth, it wont stop the tories using it as strap line in 2024.  it’s not like it hasn’t been done before ….. the Labour rank and file have to get behind starmer or they won’t form the next govt 

Yeah, the "OMGZ COMMIE" dog-whistle isn't as effective in the UK as it is across the pond but it still has effectiveness. Even regarding people who are about as far away from being actual communists as Barack Obama is.

Rishi Sunak has said he will cut the basic rate of income tax from 20% to 16% by the end of the next parliament if he becomes prime minister.

This would amount to a 20% tax reduction, he said - the "largest cut to income tax in 30 years".

Careful Rishi, your desperation is showing. 

22 hours ago, Lionator said:

lol mate if you think Nandy, Streeting and Lammy are far left then you are absolutely deluded. 

Pick any of his posts at random and I think that much was already very apparent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Pick any of his posts at random and I think that much was already very apparent.

I don’t want to be too critical because it shouldn’t be a left wing echo chamber ((losing MattP was bad) but yeah haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

It’s like labelling Conservative’s as ‘far right’. Mate I was just trying to be a bit playful. We Tories get quite a battering in here. 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

I don’t want to be too critical because it shouldn’t be a left wing echo chamber ((losing MattP was bad) but yeah haha

Never really got the MattP love in. Quite enjoyed his posts but seemed a pretty typical Own the Libs type of online right winger. Nothing particularly wrong with that but not the fair-minded centre-right sage he's sometimes remembered as. I know some people on here know him and I'm sure he's a good guy off line.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bovril said:

Never really got the MattP love in. Quite enjoyed his posts but seemed a pretty typical Own the Libs type of online right winger. Nothing particularly wrong with that but not the fair-minded centre-right sage he's sometimes remembered as. I know some people on here know him and I'm sure he's a good guy off line.

Myself and Matt crossed swords many many times.

One thing I will say is that he did change his mind on both Trump and the need for action against climate change. Not really on much else, though.

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you anti-Trump and pro-Biden? 

I’m not sure many people are “pro-Biden” in the classical sense; the guy’s a dinosaur, a relic, at best not as sharp as he was and not a statesman any day. I know some criticise him for whether he really got much done during his terms of office but give me Obama any day.

But compared to the alternatives on the Republican side, whether that be Trump or his Legion of Doom political allies, I consider myself very, very much pro-Biden, in the same way that if Joey from Friends was Democratic candidate, in character, I would be very much pro-Joey. Or anyone who didn’t present as an evil dictator happy to tear down the pillars of America, freedom and democracy for their own ends tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

I know I said some people know him offline but I didn't need that much detail 

Just now, MustardTiger said:

Who turned out to be the bigger man in the end?

:D I don't know, you pour out your heart on here and....

21 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you anti-Trump and pro-Biden? 

Well...

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

I’m not sure many people are “pro-Biden” in the classical sense; the guy’s a dinosaur, a relic, at best not as sharp as he was and not a statesman any day. I know some criticise him for whether he really got much done during his terms of office but give me Obama any day.

But compared to the alternatives on the Republican side, whether that be Trump or his Legion of Doom political allies, I consider myself very, very much pro-Biden, in the same way that if Joey from Friends was Democratic candidate, in character, I would be very much pro-Joey. Or anyone who didn’t present as an evil dictator happy to tear down the pillars of America, freedom and democracy for their own ends tbh.

There's this.

But to be more specific, there's the wanton disregard for the lives of schoolchildren getting shot as collateral damage for some nebulous idea of freedom, the Supreme Court picks who have already rolled back a critical right to bodily autonomy for women and I have no doubt they are looking to target the hard-won rights of LGBT folks next, and finally (and most importantly) the absolutely unforgivable disregard of a global threat that is not only bigger in terms of death and misery than any outside of global nuclear exchange, but also inevitable unless action is taken.

Those are just off the top of my head, however. If you wanted an exhaustive list of how the Republican party of the USA have the most unethical and malicious lack of regard for anything other than the present time and their voter base (as opposed to, you know, the future and all humanity) then I might be here some time.

• Like 2