Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

Yes, you've pretty much nailed it. My friend is somewhat a contrarian. Bolshy to the core and against the tide swimmer. Strangely, that's now pretty popular!

The trick, of course, is knowing when to be contrarian and distrustful of the powers that be and when to think there are situations where there does need to be some unity.

A hint about that might be when dealing with events related to purely "natural" consequences that have pretty much as much chance of laying those powers that be low as anyone else.

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Doesn’t it get around the requirement to make all procurement procedures transparent by creating a group of approved companies that can bid each time - a bit of a closed shop ???.

Equally it can save literally thousands of pounds and unproductive hours for the govt (or any tenderer for that matter). When OJEU rules were in place, this was definitely the case. 

I sit somewhere in the middle with framework contracts - they can work but they have to be properly managed/monitored. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

'levelling up' is a crap tag line

what does it even mean to the majority of the electorate ????

It is indeed,  but it worked because, just like Brexit,  it can mean pretty much whatever you want it to.mean.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

You, me, and two Tory MPs I spoke to this morning.

The pair of them are spiralling down a far right hole trying to out-do each other for the rabid Nazi blue rinse vote…as if that will win them anything in the long term. 

I expect Sunak to retort with a plan to make National Service compulsory and a pledge to criminalise sitting during the national anthem.  

Lasted longer than a Johnson policy, I guess 😂

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/liz-truss-u-turns-plan-cut-public-sector-pay-outside-london-tory-leadership

Edited by Daggers
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Can imagine plenty of northern backbench Tories (like my local one) getting twitchy. Truss appeals to the 100k core Tory members but she'll lose them their seats. Sunak could win an election. 

It's daft no doubt. It appears as though the Tory members at the hustings are seduced by her giveaways.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

'levelling up' is a crap tag line

what does it even mean to the majority of the electorate ????

Basically a disproportionate amount of government investment goes into the south east and London. The trick is to level it up. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I understand it 

I doubt the majority of the electorate do 

tag lines have to be catchy 

Levelling up agenda was clever and catchy. It was also the right thing to do.

The tricky part was how to do it or what levelling up actually was. There are no measurables so it's just rambling.

I'm on a couple of levelling up projects at the moment. The question is would they have been done anyway?

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

Good old Jezza - appearing on a pro-Russian tv channel. If Putin's threat to hit us with a 'tsunami' of nukes ever happens, presumably he'll spare north Islington.

Edited by String fellow

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Listening to the 'Rest is Politics' episode from a couple of weeks ago where Keir Starmer is the guest. 

Although he's not saying that much I disagree with, I just cannot get excited by him.  Quite difficult to put my finger on why not

Charisma 

he just doesn’t have it 

but then neither  does truss so will it matter ???

Edited by st albans fox

23 hours ago, Daggers said:

I expect Sunak to retort with a plan to make National Service compulsory and a pledge to criminalise sitting during the national anthem.  

His wanting to criminalise language isn’t miles away from what I wrote. 

DE1E6C02-02E9-4D73-965F-6E5ED025203A.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, taupe said:

Yes, you've pretty much nailed it. My friend is somewhat a contrarian. Bolshy to the core and against the tide swimmer. Strangely, that's now pretty popular!

This is what ive found so strange about Trump and Brexit/Modern toryism.  A lot of people voting for it genuinely believe they were being contrarian despite by definition of the result very much not being so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxes1988 said:

This is what ive found so strange about Trump and Brexit/Modern toryism.  A lot of people voting for it genuinely believe they were being contrarian despite by definition of the result very much not being so.

I think they are being contrarian to the advise of experts and evidence, not contrarian against the majority. That's how we've ended up where we are, the majority are going against all sensible advise. If we're all tied together, and the majority decide to jump off a cliff, they aren't being contrary to the majority of people, but they are against all sensible thought.

Guest Kopfkino
22 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Can imagine plenty of northern backbench Tories (like my local one) getting twitchy. Truss appeals to the 100k core Tory members but she'll lose them their seats. Sunak could win an election. 

Maybe he could have won 2015 but I don’t think he could win the 2024 election.

At the start of this I thought he was the only sensible candidate for both country and party. He was able to project economic competence (not saying he was actually economically competent) but with the next couple of years facing the government, I don’t think he could win an election because he’s not really up to it. Has he ever said anything that amounts to a positive vision? Or shown an ability to be radical (furlough was easy - he ****ed it by trying to withdraw it too quickly all the time). 

At least with Truss, she embraces a bit of the unorthodox. Yesterdays policy was obviously terrible every which way you cut it but the fact - and despite not liking her, I think she has said some interesting things in the campaign. She’s clearly a ‘strong opinions, weakly held’ kind of person who will embrace different things and whilst if that manifested in constant u-turns she’d die a quick death, it also means she might just pull something out of the bag, possibly more by luck than judgement.

Consequently, she has the potential to be a disaster for both party and country but also very good for party although still not necessarily good for the country depending on your viewpoint.

Which is also why I’m bemused by the things Sunak is throwing around in desperation. Heading where he’s heading just to appease members right now feels incredibly short-sighted.

If she’s a disaster at the next election, and whilst I can’t predict the fallout and who might emerge in the meantime, he seems the obvious opposition rebuild leader who drags the party back from its post-Brexit insanity