Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

17 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The 10 minute Mick Lynch video is superb. I’m not a huge fan of fawning over media appearances (think half is strength is not being a media trained robot) or social media stuff when he hasn’t actually achieved anything but I’m joining the fawning train.

Yet again why is somebody else a better Leader of the Opposition than the Leader of the Opposition? 

Clearly daily Westminster politics is different and maybe he’d get found out like the rest of them but why do we get some absolute shite rise through the ranks/why do they become so useless when they’re in that environment?

He gets paid more for doing what he does than he would as an MP and the job is safe. He only really needs one agenda rather than balancing budgets or political ideas.

He seems switched on enough to me and wouldn't be daft enough to give up his cushy number.

Sunak appears more slimy than he has done in the past. Perhaps hanging around Dominic Raab is rubbing off. 

Definitely the kind of person that just says what people want to hear. If it's not an economic issue, he'll just spout all kinds of crap which make people nod their heads like lapdogs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kenny said:

He gets paid more for doing what he does than he would as an MP and the job is safe. He only really needs one agenda rather than balancing budgets or political ideas.

He seems switched on enough to me and wouldn't be daft enough to give up his cushy number.

Fat cat union boss, who can say and do what he likes

24 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Fat cat union boss, who can say and do what he likes

At least he appears to be competent. The job he does is important to the people he represents. Of course a thorn in the side of most Tories. Must be doing something right. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

At least he appears to be competent. The job he does is important to the people he represents. Of course a thorn in the side of most Tories. Must be doing something right. 

If he does a good job for the people he represents, just a sbig a thorn for labour to be fair

11 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

In the meantime where the heck is Grant missing in action Shapps. 

If this is in reference to Mick lynch, then it doesn't matter. It's not his job to negotiate with unions who represent railway employees. 

I suspect as it's summer recess he will be on holiday somewhere.

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

If this is in reference to Mick lynch, then it doesn't matter. It's not his job to negotiate with unions who represent railway employees. 

I suspect as it's summer recess he will be on holiday somewhere.

Yet he makes snide comments from the side. He is obviously involved. Do you really think if the employers said OK we will make a settlement with the union he would say well done. Surely the transport secretary would see that in the interests of the country he would at least speak to the union. 

50 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Yet he makes snide comments from the side. He is obviously involved. Do you really think if the employers said OK we will make a settlement with the union he would say well done. Surely the transport secretary would see that in the interests of the country he would at least speak to the union. 

It all depends on what his interests are. Trains have become less important since COVID, each time there is a strike a load of people work from home.

Perhaps he believes there is more to be gained by letting them have their strikes and staying out of it.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He can’t do the latter. He’s voted into his position. He communicates on his own opinion, he’s out and replaced. 

Kind of meant without the responsibilities, always easy to say this do that when you haven’t got to make the decision. Bit like political parties , who are never going to get in power

12 minutes ago, kenny said:

It all depends on what his interests are. Trains have become less important since COVID, each time there is a strike a load of people work from home.

Perhaps he believes there is more to be gained by letting them have their strikes and staying out of it.

A fine example for a transport secretary to set.

9 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

A fine example for a transport secretary to set.

If they get their 12%, Mick lynch will be calling for another strike in 6 months I suspect is the concern.

He is damaging his own product currently. If the railways aren't reliable, people won't use them.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

If they get their 12%, Mick lynch will be calling for another strike in 6 months I suspect is the concern.

He is damaging his own product currently. If the railways aren't reliable, people won't use them.

So they should just put up with any old nonsense from the employer with the assistance of a discredited government. There is plenty of money going to the shareholders. 

9 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

So they should just put up with any old nonsense from the employer with the assistance of a discredited government. There is plenty of money going to the shareholders. 

I don't often use the railways. So as far as I'm concerned, just double their salaries so we don't have to listen to them bleat on.

Perhaps we could all chip in and have a government rail company that looks after all railways. I would call it British Rail. That way there would be no need for striking as there would be no shareholders. I'm sure it would work brilliantly.

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

I don't often use the railways. So as far as I'm concerned, just double their salaries so we don't have to listen to them bleat on.

Perhaps we could all chip in and have a government rail company that looks after all railways. I would call it British Rail. That way there would be no need for striking as there would be no shareholders. I'm sure it would work brilliantly.

Seems to work quite well in much of Europe.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

What next. You Don't use a library so shut them down. No kids at state school they can go too. Private health care so get rid of NHS. Shut down the railways and get even more cars on the roads. Workers on strike it must be their fault.

5 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

What next. You Don't use a library so shut them down. No kids at state school they can go too. Private health care so get rid of NHS. Shut down the railways and get even more cars on the roads. Workers on strike it must be their fault.

I'm with you on libraries. Not sure what their function is anymore, the funding would probably be better spent on community centres.

The workers on strike are making a choice. If they want more money they can go on strike or choose another career. I suspect the issue is that the pay and conditions are currently quite reasonable meaning striking is the choice to be made.

Im quite comfortable with the notion that increases to salaries means the costs of rail will rise. As long as the supporters of the strikes are of the same mindset then there is no issue.

Give them 25% and put the fares up to cover the cost.

34 minutes ago, kenny said:

He won’t. That’s just fantasy. Unions require public support and such a move wouldnt sustain that. 

The proposals sees the reliability reduce further. Funnily enough as a regular rail user for work, there’s a bad day occasionally but generally it’s no different to bad traffic days. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kenny said:

I'm with you on libraries. Not sure what their function is anymore, the funding would probably be better spent on community centres.

The workers on strike are making a choice. If they want more money they can go on strike or choose another career. I suspect the issue is that the pay and conditions are currently quite reasonable meaning striking is the choice to be made.

Im quite comfortable with the notion that increases to salaries means the costs of rail will rise. As long as the supporters of the strikes are of the same mindset then there is no issue.

Well libraries are used as community centres. Go in the Pork Pie and you’ll find all sorts going on which extends beyond a library. There was a push to try and get more public health services in such buildings (plus the former Surestarts which are now ran by private businesses). 

Four train franchises are already under public ownership. Another two are being considered. The govt has been having to bail them out or provided funding with little return. Another four I believe are under foreign ownership which indirectly then funds the likes of the Dutch, Italian and German railways. 

Having used numerous European railways this year for City games, I always question why can’t we have this? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He won’t. That’s just fantasy. Unions require public support and such a move wouldnt sustain that. 

The proposals sees the reliability reduce further. Funnily enough as a regular rail user for work, there’s a bad day occasionally but generally it’s no different to bad traffic days. 

With bad traffic you still get there with bad rail you get the middle finger followed by panic calls trying to get picked up.

I tend to use the day time off peak service to London, other than the horrific cost it's a lovely service at present. It's like having your own limo.

Just now, kenny said:

With bad traffic you still get there with bad rail you get the middle finger followed by panic calls trying to get picked up.

I tend to use the day time off peak service to London, other than the horrific cost it's a lovely service at present. It's like having your own limo.

Bad traffic - I still miss the meeting which directly affects a client relationship for work. If I’m over thirty minutes late, I might as well not be there, damage is done. 

On the railway, even if it’s cancelled, I can still dial in and make contact. Or be back at the office and have enough notice to rearrange the meeting. I simply can’t do that whilst stuck on the M6. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

The last time I went to the library it was full of young children learning a love of books and students using computers for study. I'm sure the workers love having to go on strike. No doubt the other sectors voting to take action are looking forward to it. Perhaps if some of the excess profits went to the workers there would not be strikes. Let's go back to the good old days of hire and fire at the bosses whim. We should have community centres and libraries btw

• Like 2