Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Here's Rishi Sunak claiming to have 'nailed' doing a contactless card transaction. As you can see, the order has already completed meaning there is no need for him to be holding his card against the reader.

Is there even a contactless logo on it?! 

Also, you can guarantee that's his expenses card AND he tapped "no" when asked if he wanted to donate to charity. 

Guest Kopfkino
16 hours ago, Daggers said:

Ima calling bullshit on this, sorry. 

Facts and shit: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02791/

Ok let me be more specific* on the ‘huge problem’ UK productivity growth has been famously low, essentially stagnant, since the GFC and this is a huge problem given that productivity growth is what drives living standards in the long run. Which is as your commons library link notes - I struggle to see how that calls bullshit.

Yet also bewildered to think that a source that tells us that productivity is 15% lower than France (the most directly comparable country to the UK) means the UK doesn’t have a productivity problem. That is to say that if we had the same productivity as France, GDP per capita would be around 5k higher than it is now.

*not that I should need to be, I thought this was pretty well known and therefore automatic. ‘Ima’ say your response shows you need to immerse yourself in the economic discussions of our time. Try some easy reading:

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/06/09/britains-productivity-problem-is-long-standing-and-getting-worse

https://www.ft.com/content/e7a8cb3a-efcc-4d62-962b-d284545c14f6
https://www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/productivity-uk-evidence-review?type=uk-productivity-commission

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2020/03/07/if-the-uk-is-high-tech-why-is-productivity-growth-slow-economists-weigh-in/

Edited by Kopfkino

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Ok let me be more specific* on the ‘huge problem’ UK productivity growth has been famously low, essentially stagnant, since the GFC and this is a huge problem given that productivity growth is what drives living standards in the long run. Which is as your commons library link notes - I struggle to see how that calls bullshit.

Yet also bewildered to think that a source that tells us that productivity is 15% lower than France (the most directly comparable country to the UK) means the UK doesn’t have a productivity problem. That is to say that if we had the same productivity as France, GDP per capita would be around 5k higher than it is now.

*not that I should need to be, I thought this was pretty well known and therefore automatic. ‘Ima’ say your response shows you need to immerse yourself in the economic discussions of our time. Try some easy reading:

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/06/09/britains-productivity-problem-is-long-standing-and-getting-worse

https://www.ft.com/content/e7a8cb3a-efcc-4d62-962b-d284545c14f6
https://www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/productivity-uk-evidence-review?type=uk-productivity-commission

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2020/03/07/if-the-uk-is-high-tech-why-is-productivity-growth-slow-economists-weigh-in/

Very interesting reads thank you.

Definitely shows how badly managed the economy has been for the last 14 years.  The Low wage low skilled labour economy the Tories have managed to exacerbate is why its so distasteful and harmful for them to ask people not to ask for wage rises now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Thank to Brexit, we’re a turd world country.

The fact that I used to sarcastically list being obliged to reduce the pumping of sewage onto our beaches as one of the evils of the EU when having pointless Brexit arguments with my family isn't making me feel any better about this

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Thank to Brexit, we’re a turd world country.

I think this is weather related rather than Brexit. There doesn't appear to have been any law changes as yet other than some vague bits about chemical shortages allowing Water companies to apply to the EA to discharge into the sea at various times.

This particular law change doesn't apply in Wales and Scotland. However both countries are still discharging into the seas and rivers after the heavy rains.

This includes Scottish Water which is a nationalised body reporting directly to the Scottish government.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I read that article hence the reference to it in my post. Its a year old and there has been no mention since.

Just lots of issues relating to the heavy rain after a period of dry weather.

Furthermore, as per that article, the law changes do not apply in Wales or Scotland who are also doing the same thing.

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2022 at 12:00, pmcla26 said:

Idk why it always seems to be this way, but how are these people the top politicians in the country. Is it simply just buying your way to the top and being mates with the right people? 

Funnily enough, I was asked a couple months ago by someone if I was interested in donating to one of the leadership campaigns. It was intimated that a large enough donation would be more than covered in the future if the person was successful in things like non exec directorship roles 

The days where I could have got involved have passed but it illustrates a huge issue that is prevalent across western politics in general. 

Working in Essex today. Had a conversation with two builders. They were discussing the site they work on and how they make loads of profit but very little gets invested in the actual property. It was telling that they said why does the profit get equally shared around the company. Now this is prime Tory ville, working class territory and they were having the whole discussion about how communism works in principle. 

I found this deeply interesting and I think proof that the RMT strikes have set an awareness in the public. 

The key is whether this politically becomes apathy or instead turns into anti-government feeling. 

Interestingly, the best spots to fish on our rivers is either outlets from power stations or sewage farm outlets, fish love warm water and shit. It’s these do gooder wild water swimmers campaigning to have gin clear water that’s Fvckin our rivers up

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to water treatment. I know fvck all and wouldn't pass myself off as an expert. 

Is the "sewage" in question literally just human waste or are they dumping toxic chemicals too? 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not gonna lie, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to water treatment. I know fvck all and wouldn't pass myself off as an expert. 

Is the "sewage" in question literally just human waste or are they dumping toxic chemicals too? 

No expert either. But it's probably human waste diluted with rainwater.

The issue is the treatment plants being overloaded by recent rainfall combined with the dry ground. It means the runoff exceeds what the system can deal with.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm not entirely sure that "other entities commit ecological suicide/homicide so we can too and joint them in a race to the bottom" is really an adequate justification for such behaviour tbh.

It's the same spiel as saying the UK shouldn't bother with addressing its carbon emissions because other larger players aren't (which isn't all that true anyway). It's not actually in any way productive and is a purely emotional argument.

I don’t disagree. But reading previous posts suggest we’re the only country engaging in the disgraceful practice, one even suggested it’s the fault of Brexit. We’re not the only ones, that was the only point I was making. Not sure where carbon emissions come into it. Is there carbon in shi*e😂

Edited by Fazzer 7

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I don’t disagree. But reading previous posts suggest we’re the only country engaging in the disgraceful practice, one even suggested it’s the fault of Brexit. We’re not the only ones, that was the only point I was making. Not sure where carbon emissions come into it. Is there carbon in shi*e😂

Lots of it, actually - well, carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen compounds. :D

It's right to say that the UK isn't the only one engaged in the practice, but as per above it's hardly an argument for saying it's any less of a problem because that is so. Emissions come into it because people use the same (fallacious) argument for not really giving a shit (hur hur hur) there too.