Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

There is no way back for Johnson with the country. His actions over the past couple of weeks have proved that. People have finally realised what he is. If the Conservative party want to restore him as leader then go for it, it will be a Labour landslide. 

Go and speak to any white male over the age of 45 and there is at least a 60% chance he still supports Boris and thinks he was ousted by a 'MSM Witchhunt'.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

I dunno having someone even worse in charge might make those that voted for him in the first place want him back. If Truss is half as bad as we all think she will be then she might be out by the next GE and Boris could be a desperate last throw of the dice.

I still think he took a political gamble to get forced out so he was shielded from the worst aspects of the upcoming crisis leaving him free to come in and save the day. He always had a knack of knowing which way the winds were blowing and all the noises about the party members still having a majority support for him will stick in the back of the minds of MPs for a long time to come. Its coordinated definitely.

37 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This 

the Tory MP’s will do anything approaching the next GE to try and keep their seats if she’s doing as badly as everyone expects 

and the public have already proved how stupid they are on several occasions when given a piece of paper and a pencil ….

She will do badly, we'll be lucky to not be at war before the next GE. She has an ego problem bigger than Johnson and she is more desperate to be Thatcher than he was Churchill. 

The public will fall for whichever con the papers sell them and the Mail has been pushing all sorts of conspiracies about Johnson being a victim etc. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It's what the people need, so chances are it won't happen. :rolleyes:

I can't see it coming to fruition, personally, but any raising of the minimum wage would help (maybe they'll meet in the middle at around £12?) 

It says for all ages, but surely you can't justify £15 an hour for some of the jobs that 16/17 year olds work... the apprenticeship wage and minimum wage at that age is a joke and has needed addressing for some time, though. 

Unpaid internships in my opinion are the biggest travesty. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I can't see it coming to fruition, personally, but any raising of the minimum wage would help (maybe they'll meet in the middle at around £12?) 

It says for all ages, but surely you can't justify £15 an hour for some of the jobs that 16/17 year olds work... the apprenticeship wage and minimum wage at that age is a joke and has needed addressing for some time, though. 

I just hope it doesn't cause a price rise in essentials such as food. Otherwise its a good idea.

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Unpaid internships in my opinion are the biggest travesty. 

The industry I’ve always wanted to go into, film, is one of the biggest offenders for this. You’re basically expected to start most roles as an unpaid runner. 

Which is why you see so many white and mostly privileged people in the industry. 

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The industry I’ve always wanted to go into, film, is one of the biggest offenders for this. You’re basically expected to start most roles as an unpaid runner. 

Which is why you see so many white and mostly privileged people in the industry. 

Be a shame to miss out on mentioning politics in this. It's the same issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I've had this argument before but I legitimately believe that pay bands based on age are a sensible idea. Otherwise what incentive does an employer have to employ a 16 year-old straight out of school? I do believe that the minimum wage for all bands should increase though.  

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I've had this argument before but I legitimately believe that pay bands based on age are a sensible idea. Otherwise what incentive does an employer have to employ a 16 year-old straight out of school? I do believe that the minimum wage for all bands should increase though.  

But what incentive to employ an unskilled 18 year old when you can get an unskilled 16 year old for less?

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But what incentive to employ an unskilled 18 year old when you can get an unskilled 16 year old for less?

I suppose it comes down to perception. The employer may be inclined to believe that the 18 year-old is likely to be more mature, have more life experience and a means of getting to work. I accept that it's a fine line. 

2 hours ago, kenny said:

I just hope it doesn't cause a price rise in essentials such as food. Otherwise its a good idea.

If there are any impact on prices it will be with diminishing returns.  Labour costs are not the sole cost in producing food so when increasing labour cost it does not necessarily mean that all costs of producing food increase.

4 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

If there are any impact on prices it will be with diminishing returns.  Labour costs are not the sole cost in producing food so when increasing labour cost it does not necessarily mean that all costs of producing food increase.

It also effects retail and distribution so while not the only cost, I would be surprised (and delighted) if increasing minimum wage had no effect.

9 minutes ago, kenny said:

It also effects retail and distribution so while not the only cost, I would be surprised (and delighted) if increasing minimum wage had no effect.

It would have an affect of course im not denying that but because its with diminishing returns its likely that the wage rises would be worth any small rises.

10 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

It would have an affect of course im not denying that but because its with diminishing returns its likely that the wage rises would be worth any small rises.

That would also put minimum wage up to £27k which puts many graduate salaries up too. 

So I suspect that most other industries would raise prices also.

I don't have a huge issue with this but I doubt it has been considered in this proposal.

If the minimum wage is increased to 15 pounds an hour, over a 40 hour week that's just over 31k a year. What then happens to everyone's salaries that currently earn above that, do their salaries increase by over 60% too? 

8 minutes ago, kenny said:

That would also put minimum wage up to £27k which puts many graduate salaries up too. 

So I suspect that most other industries would raise prices also.

I don't have a huge issue with this but I doubt it has been considered in this proposal.

It wont of been considered (they don't need to consider it either) and they no doubt don't expect the government to raise it to £15.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Isn't the minimum wage currently less than £10. If it were to rise to 15 then most products and services would rise sharply, thus adding to inflation and hitting people on benefits and state pension the hardest. How could it not?

People on benefits and taking their pension will in the main not be in a union. Why would the TUC give a crap about them?

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

If the minimum wage is increased to 15 pounds an hour, over a 40 hour week that's just over 31k a year. What then happens to everyone's salaries that currently earn above that, do their salaries increase by over 60% too? 

Good grief. 

Paramedic salaries start at Band 5, which ranges from £25,655 to £31,534. And that's for a 39hr week average. 

• Like 1