Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Isn't this all being orchestrated by the WEF's influences. also I don't understand why central banks are raising interest rates in this climate to control inflation which is being driven in the main by rising energy prices, not demand for goods.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 18:54, pSinatra said:

This is great. The real shame is that she’s let him off the hook somewhat. You can see his mind scrambling for a response while he’s listening. She should have finished by directly asking him what they planned to do and challenge answers. He’s cornered on camera and the news crew would have just let it role while he ****ed and faffed about trying to reply. Let the public see how hopeless they are.

Edited by Vlad the Fox

I do not understand the logic of these hustings.  Truss has pitched up at every single one and churned out exactly the same words at each and every one.  Im not from a traditional Tory background, I grew up in Paisley in Scotland, my school in Leeds was rubbish etc etc.

A far more time effective manner of going about it would have been to have done one Q and A and get all members in on a zoom call.  Do your vote, count it, sort it out.

She's faffed about for weeks while everything is coming crashing down and noone is doing anything constructive about anything.

They're collectively a total waste of space.  

I’ve watched 2 or 3 you’re right almost word for word the same. This process could and should have been wrapped up in a fortnight. One bit of positive news from camp Truss this morning. According to the Torygraph, Patel is set to banished to the back benches. 

Does this make peoples blood boil like it does mine. Can't people defend their property against these morons nowadays, without fear of being arrested themselves. I can't see any other reason why the guy wouldn't have stopped her causing more damage. wtf have we become.

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1563291219530518528?s=20&t=LrLjrG6eGy9u6-HKaebh1g

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Was reminded at the weekend that I know someone well that used to work for her.

I can remember them moaning blind about their boss but she was lower profile at the time and I wasn't sure who she was.

I need to engineer a catch up so I can get some goss

I know someone who had a senior position within the team providing legal support to her department when she was out “ negotiating important new trade deals” post Brexit . In reality selling the country short with one sided BS deals that always put the UK as losers in the relationship  and rushed unworkable agreements  through so she could get on the telly to proclaim her “triumph”

22 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Does this make peoples blood boil like it does mine. Can't people defend their property against these morons nowadays, without fear of being arrested themselves. I can't see any other reason why the guy wouldn't have stopped her causing more damage. wtf have we become.

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1563291219530518528?s=20&t=LrLjrG6eGy9u6-HKaebh1g

What makes my blood boil is that plonkers like this are being driven to be newsworthy by those who are invested in the status quo no matter how damaging it will be for the future and by politicians of all stripes who aren't taking the matter seriously enough fast enough and thus allowing people like this to get a foothold in the first place.

Of course these folks are daft, but at the same time, yet again, the laws of thermodynamics aren't interested in anyone's denial: they can and will tear shit up anyway. Just like in China, the Southwest United States and Pakistan right now, among other places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

What makes my blood boil is that plonkers like this are being driven to be newsworthy by those who are invested in the status quo no matter how damaging it will be for the future and by politicians of all stripes who aren't taking the matter seriously enough fast enough and thus allowing people like this to get a foothold in the first place.

Of course these folks are daft, but at the same time, yet again, the laws of thermodynamics aren't interested in anyone's denial: they can and will tear shit up anyway. Just like in China, the Southwest United States and Pakistan right now, among other places.

They’re criminals, it’s criminal damage. They should be punished as such, no matter their motive. Add to that they do their cause no good whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

They’re criminals, it’s criminal damage. They should be punished as such, no matter their motive. Add to that they do their cause no good whatsoever. 

And it is perfectly possible to do that and do something about the much much bigger problem at the same time.

Unless the idea of a future of vastly reduced circumstances because the status quo is amenable appeals because one might not be around to see it anyway?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And it is perfectly possible to do that and do something about the much much bigger problem at the same time.

Unless the idea of a future of vastly reduced circumstances because the status quo is amenable appeals because one might not be around to see it anyway?

33 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

and do something about the much much bigger problem at the same time.

We are. But these idiots seem to think, or want us to stop burning fossil fuel overnight. And like I've said before, knowing you'll obviously disagree. Until America China and India et al start making significant reductions to their output of emissions, whatever we do or how far we go is largely immaterial.

41 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

We are.

Not enough.

41 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

But these idiots seem to think, or want us to stop burning fossil fuel overnight.

And they're wrong about the timescale. But not about the scientific facts of the matter.

42 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

And like I've said before, knowing you'll obviously disagree. Until America China and India et al start making significant reductions to their output of emissions, whatever we do or how far we go is largely immaterial.

Yes, we've discussed this before, we do disagree about engaging the bigger players in a mutual race to the bottom (it's absurd IMO) and the simple fact is that "they're not doing enough so why should we" isn't going to cut it in terms of guaranteeing a future for human civilisation. I'm baffled to think why anyone would think it would be, beyond the standard nihilist lack of care towards it and placing a mistaken much higher value on the present than that future.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Thing is, whilst I agree with you something needs to be done to lesson the reliance on fossil fuels, and often high profile protest are useful for getting messages across, I think things like this, smashing up a petrol station, turn people off the message. I think I've said it to you before. I certainly look at the self righteous thugs smashing up someones property, and I don't think about the message they are supposedly trying to get across, I just think they are a bunch of pricks, and the impression I get from a lot of people is the same. Now for people like you, extremely passionate about stopping climate change, you probably don't mind this or even think its great work. But for the average person, the person who realises something must be done but it isn't their immediate top concern in life, the very type of person they can and should be trying to win over and get on side to their campaign, they aren't impressed by this and are less likely to get on board.

I don't know the answer, but I genuinely don't think that kind of behaviour is it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Thing is, whilst I agree with you something needs to be done to lesson the reliance on fossil fuels, and often high profile protest are useful for getting messages across, I think things like this, smashing up a petrol station, turn people off the message. I think I've said it to you before. I certainly look at the self righteous thugs smashing up someones property, and I don't think about the message they are supposedly trying to get across, I just think they are a bunch of pricks, and the impression I get from a lot of people is the same. Now for people like you, extremely passionate about stopping climate change, you probably don't mind this or even think its great work. But for the average person, the person who realises something must be done but it isn't their immediate top concern in life, the very type of person they can and should be trying to win over and get on side to their campaign, they aren't impressed by this and are less likely to get on board.

I don't know the answer, but I genuinely don't think that kind of behaviour is it.

We have talked about it before.

You'll get no disagreement from me on what these people are doing - AFAIC what is good is what furthers the necessary work that needs to be done, and it is rather clear that they are not making a useful contribution to progress for the exact reasons you state.

However...I see, way too often, people holding up these people and using them as a shield to maintain the status quo, and that, in the long term, will cause much more damage than these folks could ever do. Neither are acceptable, and apathy will be treated in exactly the same way as antipathy by the Earth as a consequence - witheringly. It cannot be overstated how high the stakes are.

I can't ask people to ignore them, but I do wish there was more focus both on the actual science and on bona fide power to change things by lobbying an MP, working against NIMBYism and showing that one is ready for the changes - you know, the right way.

NB. While I can understand people have other more immediate priorities, I cannot get my head around the idea of someone not caring about the future enough to the degree that they won't advocate and vote for the necessary measures needed to address climate change. We need, desperately, to shake the short-term thinking we have as a species on this matter and consider the long game, because if we wait around for it to become a priority problem for people, the cost - in money and lives - will already be staggeringly high and may well end up being absolute, despite our best efforts at that time.

Edited by leicsmac

8 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

They should. And plenty more will take their place and carry on the 'fight'.  Get used to this because its going to get more and more common.

The only way to stop these people is to give them what they want.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

They should. And plenty more will take their place and carry on the 'fight'.  Get used to this because its going to get more and more common.

The only way to stop these people is to give them what they want.

Or bang em up. 

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Fvck it, someone needs to do something, this government is a disgrace and I applaud anyone anywhere doing anything to try and get these pathetic excuses for politicians to actually do something.

Ah yes, hammering nails into a petrol stations pumps displays, stopping people filling up, stopping the people there working their likely minimum wage job in already tough financial times, and costing their employee thousands to repair, that's exactly the kind of thing Boris Johnson and his ilk will sit up and take notice of 🙄 You don't get through to these clowns by disrupting normal peoples lives, you have to get at them. Millions of people do what they can in tough times to help with the environment, annoying them will get these people nowhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Ah yes, hammering nails into a petrol stations pumps displays, stopping people filling up, stopping the people there working their likely minimum wage job in already tough financial times, and costing their employee thousands to repair, that's exactly the kind of thing Boris Johnson and his ilk will sit up and take notice of 🙄 You don't get through to these clowns by disrupting normal peoples lives, you have to get at them. Millions of people do what they can in tough times to help with the environment, annoying them will get these people nowhere.

I have no idea what will get through to these morons in charge but maybe it is equally moronic behaviour. Expecting them to do their jobs properly and have a modicum of decency and competence is not working.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I have no idea what will get through to these morons in charge but maybe it is equally moronic behaviour. Expecting them to do their jobs properly and have a modicum of decency and competence is not working.

Well I really don't think a government currently run by a man who's gone on holiday twice whilst millions are worrying about how to pay their bills, who will soon be replaced by one of two people who seem to not care about the issue either, is going to be bothered by people vandalising a petrol station they they'll almost certainly never visit.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Well I really don't think a government currently run by a man who's gone on holiday twice whilst millions are worrying about how to pay their bills, who will soon be replaced by one of two people who seem to not care about the issue either, is going to be bothered by people vandalising a petrol station they they'll almost certainly never visit.

It's in West London, just outside my old flat and David Cameron drove past it one day when I was walking home. It's actually on the quickest route between Chequers and Downing street so you never know.

It's not just one random act though, it is part of a collection of acts of disruption by activists that will hopefully sink in very soon that the government needs to do something and do it now, because the actually consequences are so much worse than having to fix a few petrol. It is not how I would behave but sternly worded letters to your local MP is just a waste of time and energy and not worth the £50 in electricity it now requires to boot up your PC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It's in West London, just outside my old flat and David Cameron drove past it one day when I was walking home. It's actually on the quickest route between Chequers and Downing street so you never know.

It's not just one random act though, it is part of a collection of acts of disruption by activists that will hopefully sink in very soon that the government needs to do something and do it now, because the actually consequences are so much worse than having to fix a few petrol. It is not how I would behave but sternly worded letters to your local MP is just a waste of time and energy and not worth the £50 in electricity it now requires to boot up your PC.

Not working yet is it, don't know why you suddenly think they'll change now.

The parties that actually do care need to step up the game. People like incentives, people will vote for them if their green policies include cheaper bills or money towards electric cars, or discounts on shopping when you recycle like they do in Scandinavia etc. This kind of behaviour hasn't and almost certainly never will get the attention of this current government or in fact any other incarnation of the Tories (except maybe Thatchers as she was quite green)