Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

13 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

Not, I think, a difficult thing to do. In fact, Truss does a reasonably good job of making herself look a right [wing] twit.

Well we’ve got to have some balance, after all, there are plenty of left [wing] twits. 

6 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Well we’ve got to have some balance, after all, there are plenty of left [wing] twits. 

Very BBC 😎.

You’re right, of course. But as things stand, a left-wing twit is unlikely to become the most powerful person in the country. 

Unless you count Mick Lynch, who I doubt is a twit.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Truss has bottled out of her 1 to 1 interview with nick Robinson 

how she can get away with that is incredible but it won’t resonate with the members because 

a) she didn’t resign from cabinet and stick the proverbial knife in boris 

b) she isn’t a person of colour 

I could never vote for a politician who is unwilling to stand up to scrutiny but recognise that I’m in a vanishingly small minority 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

You’re right, in that Johnson won an 80-seat majority at the General Election. But he was up against a Corbyn-led Labour Party and LibDems led by Jo Swinson, who was breathtakingly incompetent (and I speak as a LibDem member!) Johnson could also promise to “get Brexit done”, which appealed to a large minority of the electorate.

Truss has none of those advantages, and she’s not as fluent at boostering as Johnson. Up against Starmer, Ed Davey and Ian Blackford, she’ll fall apart, especially with Johnson on the back benches behind her, and facing problems on every front.

I agree that Truss will be up against it, I don't think most people have a clue who she is and I've said before that name recognition seems to be an important part of getting folk to vote for you these days. That said I wish I could be confident that Starmer will land any meaningful blows on her despite the open goal she represents

8 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

She’s also trying to be Johnson 2.0: he bottled out of a 1:1 interview on the Beeb with Andrew Neil before the 2019 General Election. I thought at the time that the whey-faced turd was unwilling to be shown up for the lying incompetent that many of us thought he was.

Clearly Truss doesn’t want a good journalist like Nick Robinson asking her difficult questions. But like Johnson, she’ll soon be exposed as an incompetent charlatan.

Unfortunately, we’ll all have to live [exist] with the consequences. Hopefully she is arrogant enough to think she can call an early General Election and win it. Hubris, it’s called.

Or …… once again there is a vote of no confidence in her and Johnson is re-elected to be the leader

10 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Truss has bottled out of her 1 to 1 interview with nick Robinson 

how she can get away with that is incredible but it won’t resonate with the members because 

a) she didn’t resign from cabinet and stick the proverbial knife in boris 

b) she isn’t a person of colour 

A very sad but, I think, accurate reflection

3 hours ago, zorro en españa said:

Or …… once again there is a vote of no confidence in her and Johnson is re-elected to be the leader

this has stood out as a possibility since she decided to stand 

she is the Johnson continuity candidate which makes it easier for him to return as the cabinet she forms will be one that he would be comfortable with

many on here don’t believe that it’s possible for the tories to dump her and re elect him pre election - I think it’s the most likely scenario given the stuff she will be dealing with over the next eighteen months.  Tory MP’s will not just sleepwalk into losing their jobs and sitting on the right hand side of the house 

3 hours ago, zorro en españa said:

I doubt that would happen before the next General Election, but it’s a possibility. However, even he won’t be able to booster his way out of the situation we’ll be in by the time Truss has finished.

Whichever way you mix it, the likelihood is that the next government will beLabour with LibDem support, and will have to deal with an absolute sh!tshow.

34 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

I doubt that would happen before the next General Election, but it’s a possibility. However, even he won’t be able to booster his way out of the situation we’ll be in by the time Truss has finished.

Whichever way you mix it, the likelihood is that the next government will beLabour with LibDem support, and will have to deal with an absolute sh!tshow.

Don’t underestimate him

i mean he actually managed to be PM and there are literally millions out there who think he’s done a fantastic job and has been hard done by

its not the same as trump but there are correlations 

49 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

A Labour Lib Dem coalition would be my worst nightmare, and god forbid the SNP end up in the mix. 

There's zero chance either of the first two parties get into bed with the SNP in Westminster. Of all the whataboutery scaremongering the Tories do, the idea that two pro-Union parties would give then a role in a Government they don't believe should exist is among the most laughable.

Edited by Voll Blau

On the face of it, I wish that a newspaper out there would lead with the headline “Coward” with a big picture of Liz Truss, for dodging an interview with the BBC. But I also understand why she did it. Pretty much all televised interviews are battles these days, with interviewers not willing to allow more than a five-second answer before interrupting. It’s like they’re proud of their trappy yes/no question, then get upset when someone gives a non-yes/no answer. Same thing drives me up the wall about Fiona Bruce on Question Time: I don’t mind the occasional interjection to cleverly query an inconsistency but she should be there to chair, not grill.

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

There's zero chance either of the first two parties get into bed with the SNP in Westminster. Of all the whataboutery scaremongering the Tories do, the idea that two pro-Union parties would give then a role in a Government they don't believe should exist is among the most laughable.

I wouldn’t be bothered by a Labour / Lib Dem coalition at the moment, given I don’t even know how they’d differ politically right now. I’m not convinced you’re right about refusing an SNP coalition though, given the alternatives to that scenario would be a minority government or another election likely producing the same result. Even if Labour didn’t desire it, I think it would end up being a least-worst option that they couldn’t refuse.

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

I wouldn’t be bothered by a Labour / Lib Dem coalition at the moment, given I don’t even know how they’d differ politically right now. I’m not convinced you’re right about refusing an SNP coalition though, given the alternatives to that scenario would be a minority government or another election likely producing the same result. Even if Labour didn’t desire it, I think it would end up being a least-worst option that they couldn’t refuse.

The price for a coalition with the SNP would be another referendum and it would be suicidal for any other party to entertain agreeing to that. Weirdly, a minority Labour Government daring the SNP to vote down laws/measures that would help people in Scotland could actually play in their favour in terms of winning back support up there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The price for a coalition with the SNP would be another referendum and it would be suicidal for any other party to entertain agreeing to that. Weirdly, a minority Labour Government daring the SNP to vote down laws/measures that would help people in Scotland could actually play in their favour in terms of winning back support up there.

You say suicidal - pre-election I’d agree. I guess to that extent it would depend what they’re asked by whom, because people would be listening very carefully to the wording of whatever answer they gave. I appreciate that would be a minefield.

Post-election though, they’d have 5 years to get over it with a solid chance of winning the vote, particularly because it would mean the Tories were out of power and the SNP were in a coalition, which would somewhat negate the demand for independence in the first place.

I’ve seen a lot of stuff like this from the Leeds and Reading festivals this weekend. Festival’s?! Has there ever been a more sanctimonious hypocritical entitled generation than these lot, addicted to consumerism. Then you’ll see them blocking oil refineries and gluing themselves to roads, to “save the planet” But hey ho let’s blame the boomers. 
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNcM7RXG/

10 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’ve seen a lot of stuff like this from the Leeds and Reading festivals this weekend. Festival’s?! Has there ever been a more sanctimonious hypocritical entitled generation than these lot, addicted to consumerism. Then you’ll see them blocking oil refineries and gluing themselves to roads, to “save the planet” But hey ho let’s blame the boomers. 

I don't want to get into a generational fight but suffice to say it disgusts me the way some people leave their rubbish without any regard for the environment 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Everyone loves a good gish gallop. Especially when making a point about hypocrisy that actually has no useful utility for addressing the real problem whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I don't want to get into a generational fight but suffice to say it disgusts me the way some people leave their rubbish without any regard for the environment 

People take the way the world is for granted. Difficult thing to disabuse them of in a reasonable, non-catastrophic fashion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Hahahahahahahahaha you've clearly never been to Leeds or Reading if you seriously think it's that kind of crowd at these gaffs. Plus, I don't get why this has just become a big deal now? The sites have always been left in a state by successive generations. It's definitely not right but you can stop right now if you seriously think this is some "OMG look at how Millennial Woke Warriors are absolute hypocrites!" story.

... how else are some folks going to argue for the status quo and against any kind of meaningful environmental progress because their lives are quite fine now, thank you very much?

The scientific fact is against them, so the obvious political move is to use arguments like this to muddy the waters enough that things don't get done.

Unfortunately, it's rather effective, if one measures what humanity is doing against what it *needs* to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The reason the daily Mail and express are going after Leeds/Reading and Notting Hill is simple. They want to keeping sowing the seeds of division as it keeps the current power systems in place. Showing OAP’s that all people under 25 and all black people are hypocritical, violent scumbags creates division which has helped the tories stay in power for 12 years. People fall for it hook line and sinker such as people in this thread. 

Yep. Perpetuate the status quo where they are comfortable and have power.

Of course, against a force of nature, there is only so much manipulation that will work, so it is misguided - you can't bluff the laws of thermodynamics, after all. It's just unfortunate that such work will have consequences for everyone, not just them.

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The reason the daily Mail and express are going after Leeds/Reading and Notting Hill is simple. They want to keeping sowing the seeds of division as it keeps the current power systems in place. Showing OAP’s that all people under 25 and all black people are hypocritical, violent scumbags creates division which has helped the tories stay in power for 12 years. People fall for it hook line and sinker such as people in this thread. 

You're not wrong. Unfortunately for Notting Hill Carnival it really is a magnet for young gang members looking to make a name for themselves.

I have a friend that grew up in Hackney and he said that the local gangsters 'tooled' themselves up to their eyeballs for Carnival as it was the best place to catch their enemies slacking.