Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

You're not wrong. Unfortunately for Notting Hill Carnival it really is a magnet for young gang members looking to make a name for themselves.

I have a friend that grew up in Hackney and he said that the local gangsters 'tooled' themselves up to their eyeballs for Carnival as it was the best place to catch their enemies slacking. 

Not really worth picking on any other festival than the rest. The likes of Creamfields and those hosted up north are major paydays for the criminal gangs of the North West. 

This isn't personal to you but Judge Rinder of all people on ITV made just a good point last week, when they said the RWP never go into detail about gangs, youth crime, parentless child up North - largely on the basis of race..doesn't create the same moral panic. 

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’ve seen a lot of stuff like this from the Leeds and Reading festivals this weekend. Festival’s?! Has there ever been a more sanctimonious hypocritical entitled generation than these lot, addicted to consumerism. Then you’ll see them blocking oil refineries and gluing themselves to roads, to “save the planet” But hey ho let’s blame the boomers. 
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNcM7RXG/

50 years of climate denial and criminal exploitation of the earth and people... but yeh, those tents are the problem

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I've been to numerous festivals and never left a single piece of litter, often clearing up others as it blows around.  There have always been dickheads though.

Really? Not a single piece? I've been to loads of festivals and always try my best, but sometimes the facilities aren't there, bins are over flowing or things get knocked over, spill out, blow away or just when drunk having a good times without deliberately trying to make a mess it just happens, things get forgotten, left behind or over looked. Even with the best intentions in the world everyone will be leaving some mess behind after 3-4 days at a music festival, multiply that by tens of thousands of people and yes some dickheads it easily turns into a huge mess. 

Can we get footage of Glastonbury from 1971, just to check they didn't leave any mess? 

I'm 33 and have been to a few dozen festivals in different countries, starting in 2002. Every single one of them was a mess that required cleaning afterwards. This is not a new phenomenon. It is even referenced in Wayne's World 2, from all the way back in the early 90s.

As others said - stop turning on each other. Dickheads have always been around and parts of seas and rivers are biologically dead due to rubbish - was that young people at festivals?

No, it was fuching companies getting away with dumping stuff in the oceans. Blame them. Don't spend with them. Pressure your MP. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Why's that then??

I think they’d be climate/ net zero zealots, in fact that Layla Moran has openly stated that the UK shouldn’t be content with being net zero, we should be net negative. They also have ambitions to introduce a universal basic income for everyone. Isn’t that heading toward some kind of communism. 

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I think they’d be climate/ net zero zealots, in fact that Layla Moran has openly stated that the UK shouldn’t be content with being net zero, we should be net negative. They also have ambitions to introduce a universal basic income for everyone. Isn’t that heading toward some kind of communism. 

How did you feel about Furlough and the Support for Energy Bills recently?? that's pretty much a UBI in disguise really. 

Just now, Greg2607 said:

How did you feel about Furlough and the Support for Energy Bills recently?? that's pretty much a UBI in disguise really. 

That was in reaction to a global pandemic. However I always felt the furlough went on to long. The first lockdown was probably on balance justified. Thereafter and certainly after the advent of vaccines I don’t think they were. We’re all paying a price now which is in part attributable to the lockdowns and billions spent including furlough. 

16 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Can we get footage of Glastonbury from 1971, just to check they didn't leave any mess? 

I'm 33 and have been to a few dozen festivals in different countries, starting in 2002. Every single one of them was a mess that required cleaning afterwards. This is not a new phenomenon. It is even referenced in Wayne's World 2, from all the way back in the early 90s.

As others said - stop turning on each other. Dickheads have always been around and parts of seas and rivers are biologically dead due to rubbish - was that young people at festivals?

No, it was fuching companies getting away with dumping stuff in the oceans. Blame them. Don't spend with them. Pressure your MP. 

Here's the Weeley festival from 1971 with about 100,00 people in attendance.

Absolute shit tip

• Like 2

Can I ask, Fazzer - what is your situation and lifestyle?

I've mentioned elsewhere but I'm early 30s, work from home on circa £30k, no kids, mortgage is £400 a month in a little house because I had a very substantial cash injection from family. I went to a grammar school and am from a fairly middle class military background. I am the ultimate swing voter - having voted red, blue and orange in different national and local pollsm 

Yet, I  am wholeheartedly in favour of things like salary caps for general people (EG - 100% tax on anything about £3 million) and corporations. I agree with grammar schools and death penalty. I agree with the concept of basic standards of income. I agree with the concept that the man at the top shouldn't earn morn than 10 times the man at the bottom.

I would just like to understand from where you draw your position, as much of what you say seems to come from a rather privileged position of someone even better off than me and I typically put myself in the top sort of 30% due to freedom from financial pressures and stress. 

34 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

This keeps cropping up as if it's some kind of point of contention or negative, rather than a necessity, a small part of a global solution that will at least save hundreds of millions of lives and at most actually keep human civilisation going for longer than it otherwise would.

May I ask why?

(And to forestall rehashed responses, "the bigger players aren't doing it so why should we?" is both inaccurate as a response and unacceptable as a solution anyway.)

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, bovril said:

I can't imagine a lot of young people have much civic pride these days and why would they? Britain is a shithole for young people now. 

It costs a lot of money to clear up mess and leaves less in the coffers for other things. It is just wrong to leave litter and only adds to the feeling of gloom and hopelessness. You can then add the damage it does to the environment and wildlife.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

It costs a lot of money to clear up mess and leaves less in the coffers for other things. It is just wrong to leave litter and only adds to the feeling of gloom and hopelessness. You can then add the damage it does to the environment and wildlife.

Yes, also look at the impact millions of polyester face masks are having on the environment, especially the marine one and it's inhabitants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

woodstock 69

Woodstock 1969

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’m not a fan of UBI at all, but net negative is worth striving for, even if it ends up being an “aim for the stars and reach the moon” scenario.

6 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I'm convinced that some folk are completely oblivious to litter, born without the litter-awareness gene! Round our way, the youths drop crisp packets, cans, bottles etc. wherever they loiter. They just don't seem to be bothered by the mess they create. The only plus-side to the depressing job of clearing up when they've gone is that the mess isn't as objectionable as dog mess. What gets me also are the idiots who think that the drains in the roads are meant for litter. 

Edited by String fellow

10 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I'm convinced that some folk are completely oblivious to litter, born without the litter-awareness gene! Round our way, the youths drop crisp packets, cans, bottles etc. wherever they loiter. They just don't seem to be bothered by the mess they create. The only plus-side to the depressing job of clearing up when they've gone is that the mess isn't as objectionable as dog mess. What gets me also are the idiots who think that the drains in the roads are meant for litter. 

Good points. 

Having been going to Leeds festival since 2007 I can confirm it's been the same for at least 15 years. I assume it's always been that way. It all gets cleaned up by people that are paid to do it afterwards, just like any festival. You probably have more people bagging up their rubbish now than you used to back when I started going, in fact, you definitely do.

this time next month you wouldn't even know there'd been a festival there.

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

Having been going to Leeds festival since 2007 I can confirm it's been the same for at least 15 years. I assume it's always been that way. It all gets cleaned up by people that are paid to do it afterwards, just like any festival. You probably have more people bagging up their rubbish now than you used to back when I started going, in fact, you definitely do.

this time next month you wouldn't even know there'd been a festival there.

Remember one year one whole campsite was turned into an inferno, but the flip side is the campsites are by and large almost always one of the friendliest places around really.

It’s just cause too many people have watched that Woodstock 99 documentary recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Remember one year one whole campsite was turned into an inferno, but the flip side is the campsites are by and large almost always one of the friendliest places around really.

It’s just cause too many people have watched that Woodstock 99 documentary recently.

If you want to avoid the insanity, you definitely can. I do remember being absolutely terrified on the sunday night on my first occasion, but once you've experienced it once. You're kind of aware enough to keep out of the way of it all if you want to.

I do think there is a special sort of idiot around these days that behave like pr*cks because they've seen it on social media, or they're doing it for social media. Kids at the football doing "limbs" celebrations even when the moment clearly doesn't merit them. There was probably some of them at the festival like you say that thought they had to act like it was Woodstock 99 for sure haha.

I did Y Not festival this year, was a bit worried I'd hate it having not camped at a fest for 3/4 years, but it was actually great. Meeting lots of new people, the vast vast majority being very friendly. Was a group behind us that were partying till 6am which meant I didn't get a decent sleep, but they kept themselves to themselves and weren't causing any harm.

• Like 1