Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

23 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Had to double check that this wasn't Matt Lucas again

He's not wrong, replacing old inefficient electronics could save you money in the long run, but it would be cheaper to clean/descale the kettle. 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/how-to-descale-a-kettle

This is a much better message than just throw out the old and buy new.

It's a bit galling for them to blame labour for the lack of nuclear energy since 1966, when Tory governments have been in charge of the country for 2/3rds of the intervening time period. 

In fact they've been responsible for 2/3rds of the last 100 years... 

This is Tory britain. 

Edited by Greg2607
  • Like 3

So the guy who has been on more holidays in the last month than I've been on in 10 years suggests spending £20 on a kettle that will have paid for itself in 2 years time

By which time it will need renewing, because it's a shit, cheap kettle.

Genius

34 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

So the guy who has been on more holidays in the last month than I've been on in 10 years suggests spending £20 on a kettle that will have paid for itself in 2 years time

Genius

The only good thing is that now people that wouldnt normally face financial problems are facing them they can't afford to turn a blind eye to this crap. 

Its pushing more and more people away from the Tories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pSinatra said:

Genius

You can see why so many folk want him back

17 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

It's a bit galling for them to blame labour for the lack of nuclear energy since 1966, when Tory governments have been in charge of the country for 2/3rds of the intervening time period. 

This is Tory britain. 

I picked this up too, but I don't think any of the questioners did. Blame Blair and Clegg for the lack of nuclear power and conveniently forget that the Tories have been in power for the last 12 years.  As for Johnson bemoaning the lack of a long term vision in politicians, the words pot, kettle, black come to mind.

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I picked this up too, but I don't think any of the questioners did. Blame Blair and Clegg for the lack of nuclear power and conveniently forget that the Tories have been in power for the last 12 years.  As for Johnson bemoaning the lack of a long term vision in politicians, the words pot, kettle, black come to mind.

I suppose we are also to forget the criticism the Cameron Government got over the strike price it agreed to get Hinkley Point C under construction?  Doesn't look so expensive now.  Labour spent 10 years kicking it down the road, and then the Tories got one approved at least.  Should have been more.  Perhaps the dickheads who appeal everything and extend the approval processes by years and years might think twice next time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

This is Tory britain. 

That's what they do. Make up claims like this, repeat at every opportunity, and people start to believe it. I think it's called "illusory truth effect" and seems to be essential for modern politicians. 

40 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I suppose we are also to forget the criticism the Cameron Government got over the strike price it agreed to get Hinkley Point C under construction?  Doesn't look so expensive now.  Labour spent 10 years kicking it down the road, and then the Tories got one approved at least.  Should have been more.  Perhaps the dickheads who appeal everything and extend the approval processes by years and years might think twice next time.

They have also gone all out into wind power which has increased massively. This is fine, but it needed to be supplemented by another couple of reactors at least.

• Like 1

I have no problem with using caution when it comes to nuclear but I also factor in that the only real issue from the last few decades was Fukushima, which was hit by an earthquake and tidal wave, yet remained safe.

The sad fact is, we/ they haven't acted fast enough and it'll be a good few years before this mess is dealt with 

Fission power is a necessary adjutant to renewable energy in order to get off reliance on carbon emitting sources like oil, coal and gas ASAP for the sake of the future.

Breaking the reliance on oil, coal and gas (which leads to bad consequences as a matter of certainty) is more important in terms of lives than the risk (small) that fission power represents.

And yeah, it should have been a thing twenty years ago. But now, at increased cost, will hand to do. Because that cost will only go up, in more than the material.

• Like 1

Like most things on here the essence of time and rational thinking goes out the window, ‘x’ government says we should do something, on here it’s like right they said it so next year it will be here.

Quick summary of events leading to Hinckley Point C:

Blair drew up his nuclear power proposal in 2006, it was thrown out of court in 2007, it was then left.

Cameron then picked it up in 2010 got it passed with 8 new sites proposed.

You then go to tender, there were 6 major company’s bidding it took until 2013 to whittle down and appoint EDF for Hinckley Point C

All the while there’s a battle in the court of appeal going on which was finally overruled and the project agreed in 2014, although plans had to be modified due to the report drawn up after investigation of the Fukushima disaster, this isn’t a modification of a joist on a new house build.

2015 EDF announced due to the modifications the plant wasn’t going to be completed until 2025

2016 EDF had to put project on hold due to soaring debts forcing them to get into bed with the Chinese later that year and proposed a joint build.

2017 11yrs on from Blair’s proposal A spade is put into the ground with foundation works allowed to begin.

2020 Covid stops / delays for 2yrs

Estimated completion date has gone from 2025 to 2028 and massively over budget.

There is a lot more to ‘x’ government should have thought about this earlier it was 2006 when planned and prior to that the thought process at the time was to decommission all existing nuclear power plants as deemed not the way to go, the last ‘old’ style plant originally planned to close in 2025 although this will be delayed until Hinckley C is operational.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Like most things on here the essence of time and rational thinking goes out the window, ‘x’ government says we should do something, on here it’s like right they said it so next year it will be here.

Blair drew up his nuclear power proposal in 2006, it was thrown out of court in 2007, it was then left.

You then go to tender, there were 6 major company’s bidding it took until 2013 to whittle down and appoint EDF for Hinckley Point C

All the while there’s a battle in the court of appeal going on which was finally overruled and the project agreed in 2014, although plans had to be modified due to the report drawn up after investigation of the Fukushima disaster, this isn’t a modification of a joist on a new house build.

2015 EDF announced due to the modifications the plant wasn’t going to be completed until 2025

2016 EDF had to put project on hold due to soaring debts forcing them to get into bed with the Chinese later that year and proposed a joint build.

2017 11yrs on from Blair’s proposal A spade is put into the ground with foundation works allowed to begin.

There is a lot more to ‘x’ government should have thought about this earlier it was 2006 when planned and prior to that the thought process at the time was to decommission all existing nuclear power plants as deemed not the way to go, the last ‘old’ style plant originally planned to close in 2025 although this will be delayed until Hinckley C is operational.

This is all fair, though it didn't stop during Covid. I visited the site in 2020 and it was in full flow, albeit its one of the least productive looking sites I have ever visited.

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Yeah, bureaucracy can be a hell of a thing.

That being said, I'm reasonably sure that various governments have been being told by their scientific advisers the very same thing they're being told now regarding the necessity of decarbonisation, it's certainly been scientific fact for more than the last couple of decades.

So with that in mind,  it still doesn't look brilliant.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, bureaucracy can be a hell of a thing.

That being said, I'm reasonably sure that various governments have been being told by their scientific advisers the very same thing they're being told now regarding the necessity of decarbonisation, it's certainly been scientific fact for more than the last couple of decades.

So with that in mind,  it still doesn't look brilliant.

Yep fully agree and not blaming any government just trying to highlight the timeframes in delivering projects such as this.

Its all the throw away comments on here that get me, take privatisation for example and how ‘x’ government has caused these issues and they should all be brought back ‘in-house’ which again I can understand but then I don’t leave it there and think ok what will be a consequence of doing this and straight away I look at the pie chart of the budget and think to myself where will they fit?

Maybe I just think to much.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Yep fully agree and not blaming any government just trying to highlight the timeframes in delivering projects such as this.

Its all the throw away comments on here that get me, take privatisation for example and how ‘x’ government has caused these issues and they should all be brought back ‘in-house’ which again I can understand but then I don’t leave it there and think ok what will be a consequence of doing this and straight away I look at the pie chart of the budget and think to myself where will they fit?

Maybe I just think to much.

No, you're doing the right amount of thinking IMO, and were this any other infrastructure project with any other purpose then I'd agree wholeheartedly rather than having a caveat out two.

The kicker in this particular area of purpose is, however, that while the standard concerns of course apply, if it isn't done in a timely fashion both in the UK and the wider world, it isn't really a human agency that will need to be answered to. It will be the Earth and the various laws of thermodynamics that will be applying the consequences, and they're not really open to persuasion in a town hall debate.

Therefore, I might suggest that this particular area of infrastructure focus is rather different from many others.

3 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

The XR anarchists are currently in the commons glued to the speakers chair. 

I have two responses to this:

Firstly:

71ebd7dc-d51b-4269-89de-09d6bcb473b8_tex

They really aren't helping.

Secondly:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62758367

That doesn't mean that the problem they are highlighting isn't actually a problem. (And yes, going on and on about these idiots and not the real problem is inferring exactly that.)

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

The XR anarchists are currently in the commons glued to the speakers chair. 

Fair play to them I’m all for it. At least it’s for something worthwhile this time unlike the last time the Commons was invaded by a bunch of angry privileged toffs complaining banning fox hunting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1