Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Fair play to them I’m all for it. At least it’s for something worthwhile this time unlike the last time the Commons was invaded by a bunch of angry privileged toffs complaining banning fox hunting. 

Well, put it this way; if things do end up going Pete Tong (as indeed they may well), then these folks, drastic and misguided as they are, should definitely be recognised by what would be left of posterity as less culpable than the do-nothings blind and determined to take valuable attention away from the real issue by focusing on them.

Whether the motivation for that is ignorance about the scale of the problem/ how abstract it is or malice based on a self centred lack of regard for the future. 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Fair play to them I’m all for it. At least it’s for something worthwhile this time unlike the last time the Commons was invaded by a bunch of angry privileged toffs complaining banning fox hunting. 

I must admit. I’d like to see fox hunting properly banned. But then I’d very much like to see Bull fighting banned too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

We need a citizens assembly as mps only speak for themselves or their party. Having mps only vote on things that affect all of us is not a true democracy and it shouldn't pretend to be.as we've seen many times there is so much corruption and wheel greasing in parliament. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kenny said:

In the spirit of their cause I would turn the lights off and lock the doors to save on energy.

Its summer recess anyway, so no harm done.

Who are they actually harming doing it here?  Its a PR stunt done at a time of summer Recess so I don't get why people criticise this to be honest.  If they were at a petrol station forecourt or on the M25 they get criticised for interfering with peoples lives so  they do what could be argued is a relatively benign as its not stopped people going about their daily lives.

I guess many of the people who state 'i agree with them in principle but they shouldn't disrupt people going work' are just liars and are actually fundamentally just fine for climate change to occur.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Who are they actually harming doing it here?  Its a PR stunt done at a time of summer Recess so I don't get why people criticise this to be honest.  If they were at a petrol station forecourt or on the M25 they get criticised for interfering with peoples lives so  they do what could be argued is a relatively benign as its not stopped people going about their daily lives.

I guess many of the people who state 'i agree with them in principle but they shouldn't disrupt people going work' are just liars and are actually fundamentally just fine for climate change to occur.

No harm done at all.

Its a childish action and should be suitably ignored as such. Lights off, doors locked, JD.

38 minutes ago, kenny said:

No harm done at all.

Its a childish action and should be suitably ignored as such. Lights off, doors locked, JD.

...then why bring it up at all, especially with no accompanying thoughts about how to actually address the problem?

I fear that many times what @foxes1988 says about people actually being fine with the world going to hell in an handbasket so long as it isn't on their watch (or sufficiently late in the game anyhow) is true.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...then why bring it up at all, especially with no accompanying thoughts about how to actually address the problem?

I fear that many times what @foxes1988 says about people actually being fine with the world going to hell in an handbasket so long as it isn't on their watch (or sufficiently late in the game anyhow) is true.

The problem based upon the latest pointless protest appears to be a citizens assembly now. 

BREAKING NEWS: "It's not about what Extinction Rebellion wants, we're not demanding that we get what we want. We're demanding that a group of representative people from the UK get to look at the issues and make decisions that guide how we respond as a country." More People Power.

Perhaps we could have a Brexit style referendum to decide whether we want the people deciding anything? Or perhaps we could put a bunch of elected people in charge using a system of voting to make the decisions for us. 

May XR haven't realised that we have MP's and they are just on holiday at the moment?

6 minutes ago, kenny said:

The problem based upon the latest pointless protest appears to be a citizens assembly now. 

Perhaps we could have a Brexit style referendum to decide whether we want the people deciding anything? Or perhaps we could put a bunch of elected people in charge using a system of voting to make the decisions for us. 

May XR haven't realised that we have MP's and they are just on holiday at the moment?

Nah, I'm talking about the real problem. The one that could render all this discussion about democratic process utterly irrelevant.

I would hope that more people would likewise focus similarly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nah, I'm talking about the real problem. The one that could render all this discussion about democratic process utterly irrelevant.

I would hope that more people would likewise focus similarly.

Too busy worrying about XR to be concerning myself with environmental problems.

People Power!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I must admit. I’d like to see fox hunting properly banned. But then I’d very much like to see Bull fighting banned too. 

You're joking, nasty little fvckers, they'll attack your kids in the middle of the night and eat all your chickens.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Kopfkino

A citizens assembly lol It has to be such a narrow, well-defined, specific thing to have even a hope of succeeding which is why they have almost all failed anywhere they’ve been tried. I think only Ireland’s abortion one has been a success

NHS England’s attempt with NHS Citizen was laughably bad.

3 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

We need a citizens assembly as mps only speak for themselves or their party. Having mps only vote on things that affect all of us is not a true democracy and it shouldn't pretend to be.as we've seen many times there is so much corruption and wheel greasing in parliament. 

But... but... MP's have their local surgeries where the great unwashed can rock up and express concerns and request representation for them in Parliament. Are you saying our local MP's don't listen or act? How can this be? They are our elected representatives. Aren't they? They are there to act on our behalf. Are you saying they're self serving hypocrites? I can't believe how you can think such an outrageous thought.

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

You're joking, nasty little fvckers, they'll attack your kids in the middle of the night and eat all your chickens.

When our kids were little I'd rather have kept the chickens and have the fox eat the children :D

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

A citizens assembly lol It has to be such a narrow, well-defined, specific thing to have even a hope of succeeding which is why they have almost all failed anywhere they’ve been tried. I think only Ireland’s abortion one has been a success

NHS England’s attempt with NHS Citizen was laughably bad.

I'd not realised they had already had a citizen's assembly on climate change in  2020.

At a guess the numpties at XR have forgotten, or more likely they aren't bothered and are protesting for the sake of it.

4 hours ago, kenny said:

XR would only want a citizen’s assembly made up of folk from the Greens and the left. 

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

XR would only want a citizen’s assembly made up of folk from the Greens and the left. 

You do have a point - the fate of hundreds of millions of people (at the least) should be everyone's concern, not just the Greens and the left.

.....right?

That opens another can of worms. The planet is overpopulated by humans. In the last 50 years it has doubled to its current level of around 8 billion. It is humans who ultimately create co2, is it not. If we could go back to 5 or 6 billion I wonder what impact it would have on the temperature rise. To me it feels like we’re fighting a losing battle.